1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

All this talk of P's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ant Illington, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Ant Illington

Ant Illington I'm Anthony but I'm only illin' SUSPENDED

It got me thinking about existence.

It seems to be commonly accepted that the P has been the most recorded bass in history. I accept this as fact. Also, as reported by some of our session friends here, and also from my general listening, this is not just legacy work, for the P (P style, not necessarily Fender P) is still in quite high demand in studio work.

Of course this demand is possibly just a lazy default thing, herd mentality, nostalgia or it could be that our collective ears (players, listeners, producers, engineers, etc) have simply been conditioned to want P.

OR, big OR, is the P just that good, its design handed down by a deity via a human who, perhaps, merely confused the dietically prescribed pick-up plan for a couple of years early on? And then, of course, the human went crazy and started meddling with all manner of bass design to appease the sinners, and people with little girlie hands like mine. Hence, the Jazz Bass. And then, of course, to "stay competitive" with false prophets he came back with the manly designs of the Stingray and L-1000. L-1000? Clearly, Mr Fender was off the rails at this point- naming a bass with just a number. Bob Seger's 1981's "Feel Like A Number," was inspired by this craziness. And you thought the similar year was just a coincidence? To this day, his bass player gets royalties for telling Bob about that robot-named bass.

Like the mystery of God, nobody can prove or disprove that either a deity or Leo Fender did or did not design and find lacking in some way, previous to the P, basses with a soapbar pick-up, basses with a single-cut body or even with fanned frets and other higher tech bass appliances akin to bolt-on breasts and collagen injections for humans. Hey, we humans have a tendency to want to "perfect" everything that was created by the Creator so it is not a stretch to say that the same hasn't been done with electric bass.

I find it hard to believe that the creation and demand for P bass is just a coincidence.

Go, ye, and proselytize. Or whatever.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Rickter, Wisebass, robgo and 13 others like this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I prefer the PJ. So it shall be written. So it shall be done.

Rickter, k.graz, Rimshot and 18 others like this.
  3. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I P; therefore I am. The older I am, the more often I P.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I’ve never owned a P and often am not a fan of the tone.

I guess I am an athePist.

5. ZenG

ZenG

Dec 13, 2013
    Near the fridge
    It was proven in another thread that we never hear what we think we're hearing and that the human mind is incapable of understanding why it likes something.

So all P-bass opinions are merely conjecture.

Science is unable to discern why a P-bass does or does not sound good.

6. AndreasR

AndreasR

Oct 23, 2012
    It is clear to me that the P is a false Messiah. Truly it is the coming of the antichrist.

Only the L2000 shall lead to salvation.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 3:49 AM
  7. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    UK
    I had a P once...

8. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    the only p for me is not allowed a thread of praise. blasphemy, i sayyyy

sneha1965 likes this.
  9. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    I do not own a P bass. They are known as a great bass for Blues.
    Yesterday a friend plugged in his P-bass into my rig at a Blues jam.
    Gotta admit that it sounded great and I play a 5 string active Pedulla.
    It does sit very well in the mix. OTOH a buddy of mine tours with a major Blues act
    and plays a 5 string Spector and it sounds great.

SteveC likes this.
  10. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Grease
    The P is so simple, the screwaroundability is so limited, that you have to have special powers to get a bad sound. Therefore, any time you hear one, it usually sounds decent. Add another pickup or an active pre-amp and all of a sudden the special powered operators have some options to make things sound bad. Sometimes folk think they need to tweak knobs or flick switches blindly to arrive at a good sound instead of just trusting their ears and, frequently, audio tragedy is the result. The P doesn't allow for that which is good or bad, depending on how powered you are.

Rickter, fishstix, Atshen and 15 others like this.
  11. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    No P for me. I own basses with just about every other pickup configuration, active, passive, jazz, humbuckers, etc. I do have a PJ with the reverse P and flats which I like, but not a straight P. I don't dislike P basses, but I've never felt that I needed one.

12. Quickly copyright the word "screwaroundability" it has so much potential.....

Rickter, Atshen, djaxup and 14 others like this.
  13. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Pino Palladino primarily prefers playing Precisions.

14. twc1313

twc1313

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Privately and publicly, I presently prefer the pleasant punch and pizazz of a P/J with a preamp.

Rickter, mikeyjm2, Pbassmanca and 2 others like this.
  15. Ant Illington

Ant Illington I'm Anthony but I'm only illin' SUSPENDED

Easy P'sy. Very nice.

Rickter, btmpancake and steamthief like this.
  16. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    Engineers are so used to the fender style basses they can dial in the sound quickly. We are all so used to hearing that tone that it seems to fit.

djaxup and Goteky45 like this.
  17. Me too.

18. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    I like this post. Think about it for a moment. Ask ourself why is our favorite food our favorite? Why do we like certain colors? Do we think we make those choices? Or are those choices already pre-wired in our brain? I love shrimp. Why? I have no idea why. I just do! I also like P basses, J basses, and Rickenbacker basses. Why? I don't know. I just do!

And ya know what? I'm good with that! :thumbsup:

mikeyjm2 and Ant Illington like this.
  19. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I like shrimp because they're delicious.

20. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    to p or not to p. that is the question. of course.