All Thumbs: A Cautionary Tale

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Ripley, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Ripley

Ripley

Oct 25, 2010
    Decorah, Iowa
    After a nearly two year hiatus, my little band suddenly booked two shows in two nights. Huzzah! We had very little practice time and were just able to squeeze in a short practice on Thursday night, before the Friday and Saturday shows.

I hung out with my drummer after practice for a while, drank some beers, then headed home. I was out walking the dog in the backyard and thought, "Watch out for the dog-lead stake" and immediately tripped over the dog-lead stake in an epic face plant. Seriously, it was one for the ages; a 9.9 showing of fearsome obedience to the force of gravity.

Now, how I didn't injure my head or even my face is beyond me, but I got up and went inside to go to bed. And woke up the next morning with what appeared to be a golf ball buried under the skin at the base of my thumb. Absolute immobility and throbbing pain, to the point that I honestly didn't think I'd be able to hold a pick, much less play anything. Oy...

People said we sounded pretty good, but it wasn't my best show. Here's the result, from Sunday afternoon:

PS - yes, the moral. Watch where you step after you've been drinking. Also, make sure you always have ice in the trays, for just such an emergency.

ETA: I walked home after practice - no driving involved.

Attached Files:

2. Salamenster

Salamenster Guest

Apr 8, 2012
    European Mainland
    That looks nasty. But you're sure you have no other injuries? I would certainly have had a physician to take look.

I hope it will start to heal soon. I assume you can't play bass the following weeks?

3. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    See. A. Doctor.

4. jonas_24112

jonas_24112

Jul 11, 2011
    Time to learn to play with your fingers!!! Nothing wrong with picks..... Just sayin'.

5. Ripley

Ripley

Oct 25, 2010
    Decorah, Iowa
    It's healing and looks better already, but it's still limited and sore. The weird thing is I didn't even bruise my head - not a scratch or sore spot to be found