Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

All trolls, you've been warned.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    isn't there something called the 1st amendment?

which as far as i know, protects free speech? so long as it isn't slanderous? (and a couple other circumstances, but i'm pretty sure annoying isn't one of them)

2. I've stopped guessing...I don't get it.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Cool. Geeks can get street cred now too!!

I can see it now, some pencil necked geek sharing a cell with some guy who robbed a bank and stole a car. :D

-Mike

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Damn, a lot of us could be playing Jailhouse Rock as cellmates (and butt buddies) soon.

5. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    This has nothing to do with the Bill of Rights, nor its Amendments.

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Wow...sucks to be in that country :D

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Plead the 5th because there's no such thing as the 1st.

8. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    could you please explain you think this is so?

(i'm not saying you're wrong, i just want to understand your rational of thinking)

9. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    This law has everything to do with cracking down on e-nuisances or even worse, e-stalkers, and nothing to do with expressing yourself. Although the author tried hard to make it seem like annoying someone electronically by expressing yourself is now against the law, it isn't.
    The author also suggests that bloggers (etc) should be afraid about talking about their feelings regarding particular subjects...but this has nothing to do with the actions described in the snippet of the bill.

Long story short, any article with 'Opinion' or 'Perspective' in the title (regardless of POV) should be taken with a grain of salt. Authors pull a lot of swing to prove an absurd point.

10. Tis called creative/poetic liscense :p

11. DannyB

DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    Free country... grand.

12. Don't ya just love how they protect our liberty by taking our freedoms?

13. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Actually I don't think this applies to us, we register even though we may use handle's, TB has our info.
    Another site I used to be on, you could post as a guest, a lot of flamethrowers did this, along w/ registerd members who didn't want the person they were attacking to know who it was. It was out of hand. I think we are safe.
    Any site worth anything makes you register and is moderated.

14. I take it this is a law for those who don't know about ignore lists, right?

15. HAHAHAAHAH oh goodness. Every user on Blabbermouth.net is practically a FELON now!

Same with the Friend Society too.

I'll keep my rather leftist outlook on how the current administration is handling our civil liberties to myself, but I still find this funny.

16. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Does someone have an over-your-head smiley?

17. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I was just going to stick up for this law by saying that originally the First Amendment was meant to protect those who sought to speak out, and that back in the day if you said something it came from your mouth. But now I realize that people also wrote bulletins and pamphlets anonymously, which was totally justified.

I don't see how Congress can manage to fight bitterly over relatively small issues but let this attrocity get by. We all know that the only reason laws exist is so that the government can use them in case they need them. There are some pretty stupid laws out there that were made because there was some outrageous situation got out of control, but this can easily turn into justification for jailing up anyone the government doesn't like, no?

18. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    What a law is "meant" to do and what it has the power to do are completely different things. I bet, if the governemnt wanted to (using this law), they could totally lock up Munjibunga right now.

:bag:

jk, munji :D

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    HOSER!