All tube amp DI's and Power section color

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scutterflux, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Does the DI on the mesa 400+ use a signal after the 6l6's ?
    So that sound going to the board is the same coming from your cabs?
    Does the mesa 400 have the same DI as the 400+?
    Are there other all tube amps with this excellently placed DI for Phat power tubed goodness for recording?
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Kinda. Same signal, but without cab coloration.
    I would imagine so. One thing about this type that pisses me off though is that you still have to turn way up to get the optimal tube sound. I wish you could just turn some tubes off to get that awesome sound, and there was a thread on this subject a few days ago. I think I may mod my 400+.
  3. No, as far as I know, a DI signal is always sent after or before the preamp, never after the power amp... To do this, you need something like a U5 wich can take the power coming out of the amp to the speakers, otherwise you will blow things up...
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    The main volume does effect the output of the DI, so I'd assume that it follows that the DI is at the end of the chain...
  5. Yes the D.I. is at the end of the chain. Now for optimal tube sound with a 400+, you could pull some of the tubes out, drive the other ones a little harder at a lower volume correct?
    Could you do this with a mesa 400, assuming it has the same D.I. because I would like to pick one up mod it with kt88's but like plain old me brought up, optimal sound from a tube power section brings up volume issues, so I'm also curious about being able to pull a couple tubes on the 400?
  6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    You can do this, but you need to know which tubes to pull first.
  7. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    soo.... which ones?
  8. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

the only way to get that power section love is via the "speaker in" of an Avalon U5 or Countryman DI. course, remember to have a speaker cab plugged in, cause neither of these boxes can absorb the impedence load.
  9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I dunno, ask PBG lol.