Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

All Tube Power Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 34 Blues, Mar 5, 2006.

1. 34 Blues

34 Blues

Oct 2, 2005
    Does anyone make an all tube power amp? Been surfin' the web this weekend & could not recall ever seeing one.

2. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Carvin makes a 100 watt poweramp currently.

There is a Peavey series of tube power amps. Including Peavey Classic 30/30, Peavey Classic 60/60 among others. But they are no longer made.

Aguilar also made a 200 watt tube poweramp, but is now discontinued as well.

3. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    the aguilar poweramp was 400 watts not 200. They had an all tube head, the db359, that was 200 watts. but the poweramp head they made, the db728 was 400 watts.

4. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Thanks for clearing that up. :)

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  6. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    no problem

the aguilar poweramp, db728 is no longer in production. When they were they costed around $3000. You could probably get a used one on the ebay for around half to two-thirds of that.

I know that Demeter makes two models. A 300 watt, and a 150 watt poweramp. Their gear is really high end, and i expect it is really expensive.

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Unless you want to spend a ton of money, just get a tube head and use it as a power amp (or as a head :smug: ). Demeter is pretty much the only high power tube power amp currently in production. There are a few guitar tube power amps around as well, but nothing over 200 watts. Oh, I have seen a few 728s go for between $1300-$1600 used. I wish I could have snatched one up, but I didn't have the $ at the time :(

8. Ampeg used to make the SVT-300 which was just the power section of the SVT-II (non-pro) amp, but they are pretty rare and you'd be aswell using an SVT-II and just going into the poweramp in, or just using the full amp, cus its very nice ;)

9. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I considered buying one of the last new ones for $2200. I would not have been happy if the dealer rounded up to the nearest thousand on me. :D