Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

All Tube Poweramp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gwx014, Feb 18, 2006.

1. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    I was wondering if there are any All Tube Poweramps besides the Aguilar DB 728?

Thanks!

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Demeter makes 2 of them... Peavey made a bunch in the recent past. Carvin makes a pretty cool 100 watter.

3. Not as many now as there were. Mesa Strategy 400 and 500, M-180 were good ones. There was also a Rivera. Might be cheaper though to find an old bass head with an input for a preamp or an effects loop you can plug into. Some preamps also have a pad on the output that step it down to instrument level, then you could use any tube bass head.

4. Ampeg used to make one. The SVT-300 or something like that. They show up on e-bay every now and then.

5. Yeah, the SVT-300, its just the SVT-II minus the preamp and plus a prescense dial, if you were going that route you would be aswell getting an SVT-II and just using the power amp in socket

There are the peavey classic's, but i think they are aimed more at guitar players (the 50/50 etc etc)

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I think they topped out @ 120/120

7. still an all tube power amp (just a wussy guitarist one ;) )

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Don't forget the Trace Elliot VR350 and VR400.

Also, I know someone (don't worry, not me) selling a DB 728, so PM me if interested.

Tom.

9. Marshman

Marshman

Feb 15, 2006
    Marshall makes a dual 100 watter that might be of interest. I've been asking around at the Marshall Forum, and gotten a few responses to the effect that they seem to be designed for headroom, which is a good thing. Keep your eyes peeled, as some seem to come with 6L6GC, asnd some with EL34. MY PERSONAL preference seems to run to the 6L6 for bass, but the choice is yours.

Happy hunting

10. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Our good brother 'Devilman' has some thing with more tubes than I've ever seen... but I think he's seen too many Frankenstein movies.... :D

Eden makes one... don't know how good it is, 'cuz I've never seen one, and I don't know anyone who's ever owned one, either.