1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

All tube RACKMOUNTABLE amps!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by toniwonkanobi, Apr 29, 2009.

1. toniwonkanobi

toniwonkanobi Supporting Member

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    Endorsing: 1964 Ears, LLC.
    Hey guys,

I'm looking for a rackmountable all-tube amp..

So far i know of: SA200 (yeah right)
    Eden VT-300

...that's about it...

To preface this,

I recently picked up a WT800B and it's awesome. I'm wondering if the all-tube thing is worth looking into?

I can't seem to find any VT-300's in the classifieds or anywhere else online. Seems like that's the closest thing one can get to the SA200 (which is probably everyone's favorite non-SVT rackmountable all tube amp). But again, those are so hard to find.

Then there's Eden's failed attempt at an ampeg SVT thing, their 300T. They've discontinued that amp and repackaged it as the WTB300V, putting it in their "world tour" section.

I'm really looking for a rackmountable setup (so that kind of cuts out most all tube amps).

What you guys think?
    -Anthony

2. Ampeg SVT-II:
    amp_1.

There is also the Ampeg SVT-2 Pro, Mesa Boogie 400, Mesa Boogie 400+, Mesa Boogie D180, Aguilar DB359. (all I can remember off the top of my head, there are more).

There are also a couple old Trace Elliot all tube amps that were rack mounts, can't remember the model numbers at the mo tho.

3. kjs

kjs

Sep 13, 2008
    Chicago
    My Mesa 400+ takes up a cool 4 four rack spaces and is about 50 pounds of pure tubiness.

4. lorenk

lorenk

Apr 8, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    +1 :D

5. Yeah...first thing that comes to mind is the 400+. The beast incarnate and rackmountable!

6. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    SVT II
    SVT II pro
    Mesa 400
    Mesa 400+
    Mesa D180 ( I think)
    Aguilar DB359
    Sadowsky SA200

Those are all the ones I can think of

7. I was being dense early.

I couldnt remember the Trace Elliot Quad and Hexa amps!

8. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    Peavey AlphaBASS:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the Laney Nexus Tube (comes in a case, but can be removed and rack-mounted):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Or, if you were to be so bold, Aguilar DB680 or DB659 + DB728.

10. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    in the same vein ....

Mesa Strategy 400/500 + Alembic F1B or F2B tube pre
    Mesa 2:90 + Demeter VTB201 tube pre
    Mesa D190 + Alembic F1B

all rackable .. all sound great

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You didn't specify if you're open to a separate preamp/power amp or if you're looking for an integrated head. There are a few all-tube power amps and a lot of all-tube preamps out there. If you're open to this, your options increase exponentially.

My preamp is an Avalon VT-737sp, and is, IMO, the best of the best. I use a solid state power amp (Stewart World 2.1), but obviously could find an all-tube power amp, if I were so inclined.

12. toniwonkanobi

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    only looking for all tube integrated preamp/power amp. It's usually cheaper. I saw a VT-300 go for some $950 a while back...maybe that was a fluke, but that's definitely in my price range!

13. Of course, how can anyone forget about the The Manley 500 and 250 Watt Monoblocks... They look powerfull and really Hi-Fi... also, VER expensive. 82 pounds... 5 ohms nominal, but I'm sure you can work on that directly with the guys at manley, they seem to do everything on the custom side.

ManleyNeo-ClassicDesign500wattall-t.

14. Nice rack. :)

Edit: It's the A-end of a D-180.

15. toniwonkanobi

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    thanks everyone for your posts. Basically, my budget is around $1000, so i know that the really high end ones are probably out of my reach. That's why i'm leaning so much toward the VT-300...but so hard to come by!

16. mat666

mat666

Apr 3, 2007
    montreal
    for a 1000$ you can get a mesa 400+ and it's awesome

17. toniwonkanobi

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    Is it straight up SVT tone or can it cop more clear modern ones too (i'd like both if possible). I DO mostly praise worship stuff, and most of those songs call for hifi tone. But occasionally there's some praise stuff that calls for rock tone. Can the mesa do both well? -Anthony

18. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    The 400+ is nothing like an SVT. Its got big tube back end but is much cleaner and clearer. It also doesn't have the SVT's aggressive mid-bump growl.

19. iplaybasstexas

iplaybasstexas

Apr 5, 2008
    DFW
    on the contrary, the mesa 400+ is quite growly when EQd...
    but typically, clean, bold, clear, in your face. i love that head.

20. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Too many people buy 400's and think they're getting something that will double as an SVT. The guy I bought mine from gave up after trying everything to get SVT like mids out of it. After having owned one for several years, I can agree with him, though that's not why I got rid of it. The tone stack is not SVT like and the tube compliment is different too, and doesn't have the distinctive SVT like tone.