All Tube Trace Elliot

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wheilman, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Anyone else using an all-tube Trace Elliot head? I have a V6 which I really like a lot. Somebody named CS mentioned that he uses a Trace V4 in the Stingray 5 poll. It seems that not too many of these were made before Trace distribution in the US was taken over by Gibson. I'd like to hear what other folks think! (...or do I have the only one?)
  2. I've got a V4 (200 watts) Trace in my shop, and it's an excellent amp. I would buy it myself except it's too heavy for my bad back, hence my Eden WT400.
  3. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Yup. I've been nattering on at just about every opportunity about how much I'm loving my V6. I traded my Ashdown ABM 500 for it and I think I got the deal of the century. Fabulous tone, serious fundamental note and very warm overtones. I hav eto admit taht one of my favorite thinsg about this amp is that it doesn't look anything like a Trace Elliot (no day-glo green anywhere, nice green tweed front). Even the actual Trace logo is easily covered by a single strip of electrical tape. I was actually thinking about putting a Hiwatt logo on just to freak out a couple of amp freaks who sometimes come to our show.
  4. Hey corinpills!
    That's funny to hide the logo. It definitely does not look like a Trace Elliot except for the little hint of green in the fabric (and the green light). What kind of cabinets are you using? have you ever retubed it? -Wes
  5. amper

Dec 4, 2002
    I've got two of the original V-Type heads (220w), as well as an original 1248H cabinet and also a 2102 and 1153 stack. I also just picked up a V-Type rack mount preamp, because I switched my main gigging setup to an SWR 'Stella/Power 750 rack, and I want to occasionally use the V-Type preamp as well as the 'Stella.

I've passed up a couple of V6's (which are now ofcourse next to impossible to find) to my dismay, but I've never even seen a V8.

I'm keeping one of the V-Type heads for variety/backup/recording/etc., but I'm going to sell off the second one. I love the sound of the V-Type, but it never gave me the tight bottom end that I was used to from my old Trace Elliot solid-state amp, nor is the passive eq flexible enough for me.

Can anyone out there comment on tube life/sound quality of the V-Type/V4 v. the V6 v. the V8? The 4xKT-88's in the V-Type are rated at 220w, or 55w a piece, while the 6xKT-88's in the V6 are rated at 400w, or 66 2/3w a piece. Then, of course, the V8 has 8xKT-88's at 400w, or 50w a piece.
  6. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I really want to get a V6 or V8, but I can't find any over here in the US!!!
  7. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hey Bass Guy
    Want to sell me one!?
  8. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    DAMN! I had to try Psycho.
  9. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    It only runs at 8 ohms. I'm going to be running the amp at 4ohms. I would buy the 300ps if it ran at 4ohms.......
  10. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Somebody called CS is AKA Chris Sexton all round great bloke. He owns a TE V4 and is very happy that he doesnt have to move it often as it stays at the 'venue'. It still has a full set of OE valves.
  11. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    I'm not big into all tube heads, I personally like power amp/preamp combo's.

The Trace V-type Tube preamp is really cool. I've only seen a couple of them floating around. They sound FAT like the Kern, OLD F2B, but they have a cool mid pull out that shifts freq.
  12. So I am not the only one who has one of these amp heads after all! Thanks for your replies folks!