Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

All tube, which one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kringle77, Sep 8, 2005.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Can you guys compare the aguilar DB 359 with the orange head to the ampeg svt (new one)? I may want to get one of these in the future. I know the ampeg very well but not the others. I have owned the aguilar DB659. Does that sound similar to the head? Thanks

2. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the ampeg vb-4.

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    So you've owned the Aggy, but know the Ampeg better? Hmmm.

I'm not a fan of the new 'Peg CL's (I suppose that's what you mean?) Havn't played and aguilar and only heard a Orange from stage. The orange was real fat sounding..

If you can afford an orange though, why limit yourself to those choices?

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I think that the DB 359 is a pretty different animal from the Ampeg or the Orange. The 359 is a very clear, rich, harmonically complex tone machine, but it doesn't overdrive all that much. For whatever reason, I can get more overdrive out of my 659 with a SS amp than I can out of the 359. The preamp sections do seem similar, but my ears tell me that the 659 is optimized to allow more grit/grind/growl, and the 359 yields a wider range of very useable, very excellent clean tones. A better comparison to the 359 would be a Trace Elliot Quatra Valve (and in fact, that is a shootout I need to put on my short list!). But I must say that the DB 359 has one of the best clean tones of any amp that I have tried. It's a pretty heavy beast, too.

While I have not played the VB-4 or an Orange head, my impression is that they will both offer more overdriven/distorted tones than the 359.

Hope this helps, Tom.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    He's owned the DB 659 preamp, not the DB 359 head.

6. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Yeah, the DB659 did have a nice overdrive thing happening. To me it sounded like the way most people describe an ampeg growl. The 659 does it better in my opinion. Hmmmm.....

7. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I like the Fender Bassman 300 (Sunn 300T) Really nice options and two channel!! I also like the new Traynor all tube head. I'm not a fan of the new CL either I had one and it was nothing but trouble. I like the newer V4B though go figure.
    The aggie is nice and I have never heard an Orange in person but I bet it ROCKS!
    Good luck on your Tooooooobe hunt

8. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Yeah, the Sun 300 is a great amp. I've been thinking about the ampeg v-b4h because it's only 40 lbs. Who knows, by next week I'll want something else. The only thing that I haven't even thought about selling are my attitude basses and my Aguilar AG500 head!

9. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Well,

I owned a DB359 for a while. It was a great head, and was really easy to get a great sound out of. It sounded great until I would turn the gain up. Granted, I bought it used and the tubes had been replaced with GrooveTubes... It still sounded great though, really fat and cut through with my GS410.

I've played an SVT-CL probably every time I go to Guitar Center and am still undecided about it as far as my personal preference. On one hand, it sounds great: it's got great low end, growl, and punch. On the other hand, it sounds like crap (IMO) until you really crank it.

Now we get to the Orange. I played one once, for probably half an hour. I couldn't get a sound that I didn't absolutely love out of it. It sounds so good. I played every different kind of bass I could through it (obviously the store didn't have hundreds and hundreds of basses). It made each bass shine in its own special way. I played a MIM P-Bass through and was set back by the tone. I played a Bongo through it and almost cried. It's got some grit as well, if that's a huge factor for you.

As I'm finishing typing this, I realize I forgot the V4-B. Great amp. Not a ton of power (but yet enough), but good tones. If you're into grit/distortion, it's a good choice. It sounds very similar to the SVTCL (In my experience), just not as much power; which I almost prefer, since I feel that the SVT has to be cranked to sound any good.

It's funny that I came across this thread, because I'm kind of looking at either a DB359, SVTCL, or an AD200. I'm personally leaning toward the orange right now, but we'll see what happens when I get the money I guess.

Anyway, I hope this helped in some way, shape, or form. If not... my bad.

10. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Yeah, I always wondered about the v-4b. Seems like you could crank it up for a better tone but not blow the roof of a club. My brother plays the svt and I love it but, it's so damn heavy! I would like to get a v-4 and re-tube it with Ei gold tubes (12ax7) and Jan/Phillips AU7's in the pre. Probably leave the origional power tubes in.

11. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I have owned the very same DB359 as Opaquebass, and have pretty much the same opinion. It sounded unbelievably beautiful at lower volumes. It just wasn't loud enough to keep up in the band. Not that it didn't get pretty loud, but it started to fuzz out. Wasn't a bad fuzz, but that wonderful sound it had when quiet went away. It came with those tubes in it, and I never tried replacing them. Played new SVTs in stores, and not been impressed. Loud enough I guess but no real character to the tone. I preferred the SVT2, also all tube, cheaper, and lighter due to it being a rackmount unit. Never played an Orange, and I don't want to. Afraid I'd end up selling my car to afford one. Never played the V4b either.

No interest in the 400+?

12. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    The 400 has a "tamer" sound than I like. NOt really growly or .......not as aggressive.

13. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    As an owner of a 400+, I would have to agree with this IF it has stock tubes in it. The Mesa tubes kinda suck, but with other tubes you can make this thing howl and grunt as hard as any CL. That said, it sounds different from the other amps, and I find it a bit more versitle. And remember to use input 2. You can get some sweet growly tone from it.

14. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    i saw a band once whos bassist had an orange head goin thru an ampeg 8x10 and played a P bass. talk about growly! kewlest pick tone ive ever heard.

15. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I see. Understandable. While I love the 400+, it's really best for someone wanting a dark, low midrange heavy but essentially clean sound. You might like the SVT2. I liked the Pro I had, but people here like the older non pro model better.

I messed around with the Fender version of the Sunn 300t, not for long but it was cool. Nice distortion, while not sounding like Ampeg distortion. I should be finding out more about the Sunn soon...

:hyper:

16. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Did you find the distorsion to be similar to my Sceptre's distorsion?

17. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    From the little I messed with it, I'd put it in the same family, but from the clips you posted I like the Sceptre better, but you'd need a couple Sceptres at least to keep up in volume, and the big head had plenty of lows. They both sort of live in the highs, where the Ampeg sort of distortion is a big, smooth all around middly muddy thing. Lately I've really come to appreciate the distortion you get out of a good guitar head, of the sort that guitarists find too clean for their tastes.

18. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Yup, that kind of overdrive is the best! :bassist:

19. +1
    Ampeg V4BH

It has that Ampeg growl when you want it and I like the 6L6 output tubes a lot. Different than the SVT in a good way just not as kidney pumping loud. And that too is a good thing to my ears since I'm right in front of it.

If you want more specifics just ask.

20. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Ei gold tubes work really well with the ampeg stuff guys....just in case some of you have not been turned on to them yet. The 12ax7's. The Au's where not as good to my ears so use Jan/Phillips NOS tubes for those. It will make you ampeg much tighter in the low end and sweeter on the top. They overdrive smoother also. I hate to give away that secret but, I don't own an ampeg anymore so....