1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

All valve combo????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hallo, Aug 22, 2007.

1. hallo

hallo

May 1, 2007
    Staffs, UK
    I was practising away last night when all of a sudden my MAG300 2X10 combo just gave up on me, after inspection it was only one of the speakers blown. I've wanted to upgrade for a while to a valve bass amp and this is my excuse. Anyway I'm after the vintage sound/look, thats why I've been looking at a vintage Fender Bassman but they are pretty hard to come by in the UK. Are there any other vintage valve combo's? If not i can go for a head and cab rig but the cab would have to be 2X10 or 1X15 maybe a 4X10 at a push, problem is transporting it and my car isn't the biggest. Ideally I'd go for the Orange or the Ampeg Classic All valve, anyway used these? Can anyone suggest anymore? Price range is ideally under £1000 ($2000 ish) but cn stretch a little more.

2. B15N is only one I know of at the mo. Do Orange make a bass valve combo?

3. hallo

hallo

May 1, 2007
    Staffs, UK
    Think Orange only make the one bass amp, is the Ampeg tube combo loud enough for rehersals etc? We do have a heavy handed drummer.

4. Trace Elliot V4 combo in a 210 or 115 if you can find one!

5. Dunno whether the B15 'd be loud enough with a loud drummer-probly would. I just bought the (sort of) head version-AMPEG V4BH & thru a NV610 it's VERY LOUD!!!!

6. P1010024.

Its a Fender Blues DeVille Reissue. It is based on the Fender Bassman combo. This amp is all tube, 60 watts with 4x10" Eminence AlNiCo Blue speakers. I play both my Fender Jazz and P-basses through it. Its plenty loud for small to medium venues alone (depending on the type of music played). It can also handle an 8-ohm extension cab.

It cost me $825.00 USD compared to the Ampeg which sells for $2000+ USD.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_reissue_blues_de_ville_410_gitarrencombo.htm

Let us know what you end up getting. ;)

7. I've heard that the B15N it's not really loud, but it's very expensive and heavy, that I can tell you.

You should give a try on a Mesa Boogie Scout combo, expensive, but I had never heard such an amazing combo in my life, and I think I won't in a very long time. Very loud and beauuuutiful tone.

Plus, if you buy the 8ohm version, you can add an extension scout radiator cabinet. There are 12's and 15's to choose...

I think that there are good reasons why there are not many all tube combos, weight is one of them.

8. hallo

hallo

May 1, 2007
    Staffs, UK
    Always loved tweed and if it sound good with bass I have serious GAS for the Fender Blues DeVille Reissue. Has anyone else used with bass?

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The Blues Deville; for bass? Really? Aren't those guitar speakers in there?
    Those are 'bout 50 watts, right?
    They make a 212 model as well, but also at about 50 watts, also guitar speakers...if it works for you, that's great, but it seems odd that it would...

10. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Based on my experiences with the Ampeg B15 tube combos, they are not loud enough to compete with a loud drummer and guitars. They sound good when played within their limits. They only put out 30 watts. I don't care if it's "tube watts" or not-it's not a loud amp and never was designed to be.

The Walkabout Scout combos are wonderful amps that sound very much like an all tube amp if you adjust the gain stages right. They are not all tube though. It's a tube preamp and solid state power amp. I can easily get a tube amp sound from mine. However in Britain they are very expensive. If you can afford one I think you'll like it better than your Mag.

11. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    You mentioned a Bassman being hard to come by the UK. This may be a stretch but...
    ......The Marshall JTM45 is basically an exact copy of the 59 Bassman. I'm not sure but you may be able to find a Marshall easier than a Fender over therein the UK. It's not a combo, but it would be vintage for sure!
    Quite sorry if I am way out of line on this one BTW!

12. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    mesa made the buster in 1x15 and 2x10 combo's. I haven't played the 1x15 but the 2x10 wedge is sweet; although the 1x15 looks a lot more vintage......

13. ElectroStompbox

ElectroStompbox

May 20, 2007
    id go for a gallien krueger 1001rb with an gk goldline 4x10 and a trzce elliopt shortie 1x15....saves space and is great

i know its not vintage but its still awesome

14. I'm pretty sure it's not tube either...?

15. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The Blues Deville is not a good bass amp. It's an open back cabinet with guitar speakers. It sounds nice for bedroom practice on bass but won't take any volume. Neither will the old original 4x10 Fender Bassman. The later sealed 2x12 separate cabinet and 50 watt Bassman head is a bit louder but still won't cut it in my opinion. Fender rates them at 50 watts but they have an anemic little output transistor which seriously limits their ability to put out a solid bass sound. I know from having used one for some time when they were new in the early 60s. There wasn't much made then that could play very loud for bass.

The Mesa Buster bass combos are discontinued. I tried both the 1x15 and 2x10 versions. They would probably play loud enough and sound great, if you can find one. Very heavy though and awkward to carry even with the detachable dolly.

I think Pignose makes a 100 watt all tube combo but I haven't heard one.

There are a few semi custom boutique guitar amp makers who also make all tube combos. Expensive though.

Personally, I'd go for a solid state amp with a good tube preamp built in, just because of the weight and power limitations of the all tube amps. The Mesa Walkabout comes closest to the all tube sound in my opinion. Their tube preamp is quite a bit different from most other manufacturers who stick in one 12AX7 and advertise it as a tube preamp. But the price in the UK is a bit steep. The original English made Ashdowns (not the cheaper Mag series) were nice too.

16. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    Trace elliot had an all tube combo. I think Tom Bowlus has discussed it on TB.

Also:
    Mesa Boogie Buster
    Pignose 100w tube amp

You could buy a Dr. Bass or Schroeder cab with built-in rack and throw a tube head in there. Given the fact that most of the others are out of production, that would be my suggestion.

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yes, the Twin Valve Combo. This combo is really something special, IME/IMHO, but it's also very hard to find (long discontinued, btw).

The Pignose B-100V is still being made, I believe, but not all that common, for some reason. It's a different beast from the Twin Valve Combo, but pretty darned cool, nonetheless.

I have a vintage B-15-N, which I definitely love, but in the brief time I have spent playing the newer Ampeg reissue, I thought it sounded pretty decent, too.

Tom.

18. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    www.george-dennis.cz/pages/bassamps.htm

Outside of the Ampeg B15R, there are few tube combos out there....This is the only current production model I know of, and it looks very well made.

The B15R is 100 watts btw, and while not insanely loud, it has a good amount of volume/headroom, as well as an excellent DI.

Otherwise, your best bet is to use a seperate all-tube head; there are more options going that route.

BTW- I have a Mesa Buster 2x10 Wedge combo.
    Amazing piece of gear and it sounds unbelievable and is LOUD!
    At 95 lbs, with its configuration, it's a hassle to transport,
    but always worth it once it's put on stage. It absolutely sings.
    Happy Hunting!

19. ped

ped User Commercial User

Aug 30, 2006
    York, England
    Endorsing Artist: Vigier Basses / owner: Basschat.co.uk