All walter woods users:

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassossorus, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Bassossorus

Oct 21, 2004
    what cab(s) do you use with your woods? show us your rigs! :cool:
  2. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
  3. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Here's a picture of me playing recently with my Sadowsky PJ going thru the WWU into a Whappo, Jr. Having good equipment and superb musicians on stage with you sure makes life easier.
  4. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    BTW, this rig literally had the stage bouncing me up and down, and as you can see, that's a lot of bounce!
  5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Bag End mini-stacks, S-12's on top of S-15's. Reinforced with EVX-180A subs when needed (through a Stewart 2.1).
  6. All Bergs and one Epifani so far.
    Berg HT/EX 112's, NV610
    Epifani T-112
  7. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I've tried just about every high end cab with my Ultra and to be honest have not been happy with any of them. My Green Light Hi Power on the other hand sounds great through ANYTHING! I'm amazed at how many people buy the Ultra when the Greenie is by far the best sounding amp Walter has ever built! Presently using the Berg HT112's.
  8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My experience has been somewhat the opposite. I have used my WWU with many of my cabs, and I have always been very happy with the results. With a couple of cabs, I do find that other heads sound somewhat better (e.g., iAMP 800 goes better with Low B-2 and Whappo, Jr., Walkabout goes better with Tri 210L), but the WWU still sounds very good with these cabs. Some standout pairings with the WWU that I can think of right now are two VL-208's, the aforementioned HT112/EX112, two T-112's, and one (possibly two) HT115.
  9. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    All I can say is I had a Greenie a few years ago and moved up to the Ultra thinking more power would be better and I have struggled with my sound with EA's(old and new), Bergs, and Mesa cabs ever since. Recently acquired another Greenie and my loving tone is back. I'm not saying the Ultra sounds bad, it's that once you've heard the Greenie, the Ultra is not as full in tone. The Ultra sounds like I'm trying to run a 426 Hemi in a Pinto. The Greenie does a much better job of accurately producing the tone of the bass and I don't experience the low end drop off in the Bergs HT112's that I do with the Ultra, much more bottom. And it gets plenty loud too. In a real world A/B test the Greenie easily out classed a WT-400, a SWR SM-400S, and an iAmp 350 in tone and power.
  10. I run my ultra with one or two HT-112s depending on the gig. It's always sounded superb. I've also used it with my old Bag End S-15 & S-12, which has been fine.

When I need more speaker for a louder gig, I generally haul my Kern or Demeter/PLX rack since I'm already humping the Schroeders or the big Bergantinos.

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The green-light WW must be one heck of a head, then! Is there any chance that you had a bum Ultra?
  12. Reefer,
    I have a WWU with a Schroeder 1210.
    I like the sound alot!
    I have been wondering about the green for some time now.
    Please elaborate on the difference in sound between the green and the yellow.
    I may trade up!
    Please explain
  13. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I've had 3 Ultras and still have 2, all the same. Some of you may have seen the brief post on this board a couple of weeks ago where a guy was selling 2 Green Lights( it was quickly deleted by the moderator). I bought both and they both SING!!
  14. Reefer,
  15. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    You have an Ultra(blue light) and you want trade up to the Hi Power(green light), but you want to know about the difference in the Super Hi Power(amber light).

If you have a blue light, the amber sounds very much like it only not as loud. The green light to me opens up the tone much more than the others. It has great presence and has more of those "feel the bass" frequencies. The EQ is easier to control also.

Another way I can describe the difference is the Ultra sounds more compressed.

The Ultra does have tons of power where I can push the green light to the edge if want. The Ultra has very quick response and may cut better in some situations, but I still prefer the overall tone of the green light.

Please note that the preamps in all of his models are the same, the only difference is the power amp section.
  16. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    Are those 3 you describe all the current models? Are the boxes the same size and weight? Do you know the rough price ranges on them? Thanks...
  17. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I don't have one, but last night I saw someone using a WW head through an Aguilar GS112 cabinet. Sounded huge for such a small rig, which is why I checked it out. I'm sure his Fodera six string contributed to the hugeness!
  18. Reefer,
    I have a Super High Power.
    I was asking the difference in tone as compared to the Ultra High Power.
    Thanks for the info.
    Here are the specs for anyone interested.

Mono Amps;
    Red light, Low Power 120-200W@ 8-4ohms.

Green Light, Hi Power 300-400W@
    8-4 Ohms.

Amber Light, Super High Power 450-650W@ 8-4 Ohms.

Blue Light, Ultra Hi Power 800-1200W@ 8-4 Ohms.

As far as I know, these amps are all the same size and weight.
    If anyone here needs Walters phone number, please PM me and I will be happy to pass it along.
    It's best to speak directly to him if you want questions answered.