Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

All Yamaha RBX774 owners.........(and maybe 775)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by romac, May 22, 2004.

1. I just got the Yamaha RBX 774 bass today, great bass. But I have a few queries:

1) What strings are they from the factory? Basically what are the ones put on at the factory?

2) The pickup selector switch - is it flicked up for active pickups and down for passive?

Thanks a lot

2. Naterade

Naterade

Apr 29, 2004
    Franklin, MA
    Well, mine came with crappy roundwound strings that I just replaced with GHS roundwounds and the difference is extremely noticeable in sound quality and punchiness of tone. As far as the selector switch goes I think the 3 positions are just different blends of the two pickups with no passive option.

3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    1) I believe that the shipped strings are stock Yamaha's. As much as I <i>love</i> stainless-steel brightness, these might be <b>too</b> bright on my 775's. I'm considering a switch back to nickles for them.

I'd have to disagree with Naterade on the quality, however. Yamaha strings are somewhat hard to come by in stores, and as I recall some Nashville session vets like David Hungate took to special ordering them straight from Yamaha they were liked so much.

2) I've neve gotten a clear answer from Yamaha's customer service on the electronics (are the pickups active or passive, or just the electronics... which seems doubtful as the tone sounds like a passive rolloff... but then you have the mid-boost switch. An odd bird, this one). The pickup selector is neck/both/bridge, and the mid-boost is flipped downward for off, upward engaged.

4. Thanks a lot, that's just what I wanted. The strings seem to bright for me as well but that might be because they are new.

5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    After a month of playing my strings have toned down quite a bit, so you might want to hold off on replacing then until you see how they settle in.

As for re-ordering or using my usual D'Addario Prisms, it depends on what type of project I'm doing. For a heavy rock band they would cut like Ginsu knives. :ninja: I'm think I'd stay with steels for the Yamaha (at least the fretted), and string my Fender Jazz Plus V with nickels for anything that calls for a more mellow sound.

6. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Cant' help you. Sorry, but I agree with you. I bought a 775 about a two months ago, and it's a great bass. I believe that they do come with Yamaha strings though. I will probably end up putting either Rotos or Daddarios on mine. When I do, I can let you how know how they work. :p