All Yamaha RBX774 owners.........(and maybe 775)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by romac, May 22, 2004.

1. I just got the Yamaha RBX 774 bass today, great bass. But I have a few queries:

1) What strings are they from the factory? Basically what are the ones put on at the factory?

2) The pickup selector switch - is it flicked up for active pickups and down for passive?

Thanks a lot
  2. Naterade

Apr 29, 2004
    Franklin, MA
    Well, mine came with crappy roundwound strings that I just replaced with GHS roundwounds and the difference is extremely noticeable in sound quality and punchiness of tone. As far as the selector switch goes I think the 3 positions are just different blends of the two pickups with no passive option.
  3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    1) I believe that the shipped strings are stock Yamaha's. As much as I <i>love</i> stainless-steel brightness, these might be <b>too</b> bright on my 775's. I'm considering a switch back to nickles for them.

I'd have to disagree with Naterade on the quality, however. Yamaha strings are somewhat hard to come by in stores, and as I recall some Nashville session vets like David Hungate took to special ordering them straight from Yamaha they were liked so much.

2) I've neve gotten a clear answer from Yamaha's customer service on the electronics (are the pickups active or passive, or just the electronics... which seems doubtful as the tone sounds like a passive rolloff... but then you have the mid-boost switch. An odd bird, this one). The pickup selector is neck/both/bridge, and the mid-boost is flipped downward for off, upward engaged.
  4. Thanks a lot, that's just what I wanted. The strings seem to bright for me as well but that might be because they are new.
  5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    After a month of playing my strings have toned down quite a bit, so you might want to hold off on replacing then until you see how they settle in.

As for re-ordering or using my usual D'Addario Prisms, it depends on what type of project I'm doing. For a heavy rock band they would cut like Ginsu knives. :ninja: I'm think I'd stay with steels for the Yamaha (at least the fretted), and string my Fender Jazz Plus V with nickels for anything that calls for a more mellow sound.
  6. bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Cant' help you. Sorry, but I agree with you. I bought a 775 about a two months ago, and it's a great bass. I believe that they do come with Yamaha strings though. I will probably end up putting either Rotos or Daddarios on mine. When I do, I can let you how know how they work. :p