1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

all you 5stringers...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jomahu, Dec 6, 2006.

1. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    what made you get a 5er? do you play 4-string as well?
    and when do you play one or the other?

i've been thinkin about getting a 4 string (i only play 5string in my band), but i feel like i'll miss my B string terribly!

thoughts?

2. bhawk1

bhawk1

Oct 9, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I couldn't cop Jimmy Johnson licks without a five, which is why I made the transation from four. :)

I still break out the four-bangers, if a song calls for the tone of one of my fours. Or, if it's a long night and I just want a lighter bass to sling around during the last set. Or, if I just want a change of pace.

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    If I want a Four I just ignore one string. I started out on Fives and Sixes and will likely never buy a Four.

4. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    The bass I was playing on was my bro's burrowed ATK and it was tuned BEAD for the 311 that we used to play.... I figured it would be best to just get a 5 string so the B string notes would actually sound nice.

Yup, I love 4's.

The 5 will be played when usually rockin' out and something of major low-ness is needed. The 4 is for basically everything else. I've done some recent mods to the 5 to make it a tad more versatile, but it's still mainly a rocker, not much for the more jazzy stuff.

When noodling around w/ the 4 I'll be playing and I'll horribly miss my B string, I'll be reminded every now and then that I don't have it when I try to go for a low note. Especially if I'm messin' around in the upper register.

It's always good to just have a simple 4, but if you find it's too difficult to play or w/e, then just stick to 5, nothin's wrong w/ that. Play what's good for you. :bassist:

5. Some Groovy Guy

Some Groovy Guy

Sep 28, 2006
    Vancouver
    I originally got a 5 because i played harder rock.

Then I quickly begun to realize the benefits of having the string.

Making hitting lower notes in the same region easier. A year later i upgraded to a 6.

I feel the most comfortable behind 6 strings, but 4'a re nice to.

My next bass will be along the lines of a MIA fender jazz.

6. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    yeh....if only there were an affordable production-line p/j 5-string! then all my worries would be over! :spit:

7. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I occasionally buy 4 strings, but they never last. It is rare I even take one to a gig. My lastest buy was an Ibanez Artcore which I am having modified with a Darkstar, so I am sure that one will last a bit. I doubt I would miss the B string, except for those very few songs I use the Low D. Otherwise, I bet I could get by with 4.

My first bass was a 4 string, but I only used it for a couple months. 90% of the basses since then have been 5 strings, mostly for easily reaching the lower notes while staying in one position.

8. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I started on 4 went to 5 now back to both.I remember when i felt i could never play a 5 now i can play both with no problem switching back and forth on setlists. I like the 4 better overall..lighter faster and i play it diifrent. The 5 i like the close string spacing and the B is great on alot of songs just alot of tone ranges and less skiping strings on a 5 but more of a workout.;)

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I initially switched because I wanted the extra 5 notes.

I stayed because I like the wide voicings that are difficult to get with 4 strings, being able to play higher up the neck, and having more notes under my fingers.

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Yeah, Embellisher, I hear ya. Seems too like a Five can function as two distinct Fours - one on the regular E-A-D-G strings, and a fatter-voiced one played one string over and five frets up, on the B-E-A-D strings.

11. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I ended up with a 5 because I was doing a lot of country subs around the same time I started working with one of those blues gui****s that just had to tune to Eb.

despite what you may have heard, it's about impossible to play recent country properly without 5 strings or at the very least a BEAD 4

12. I started on my Ibanez 4-string P. I didn't feel that I was missing a string but I was detuning E>D for a couple of songs. When I decided that I needed a better axe I went out and played a lot of basses. I was in a shop one day trying out a 5er and found that I had no trouble dropping down to hit the D on the B string. I even ended up rewriting the part so I hammered from C>D and it sounded great. So I forked out the extra £50 to get a 5. Since then I've found it really useful. I like to play up around the 7-9 frets and I can still hit the low notes without jumping about too much.

That said, my next bass will probably be a 4 as I can get more for my money. Depending on what tone (bass) I want I'll write accordingly.

Cheers

13. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i have a feeling that once my 5er arrives, it will be my main axe. I need the extra lower notes and feel that they are useful in many contexts.

14. i found that the prog rock/ pink floyd style stuff i was doing at the time needed that extra dimension (and those pesky 'nu-metal' kids didnt exist @the time so 5 was a rare sight with added kudos) of the lower B (we did a lot of B minor tunes).

but im loving my 4's again now (jag, paisley P, T bird and a semi les paul) yet the 5 has a certain voice to it the others cant get

15. rob2966

rob2966

Oct 19, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    I have always played a 5. My first 5 was a cheap Squier P-Bass type bass (with soapbar type pickups) - not exactly sure the model. Then I got a Pedulla ET-5 Thunderbass and just ordered a 24F/5 NYC Sadowsky.

Reasons I prefer it:

1. Like the option to use the low notes.
    2. Can play along with Eb tuned songs without having to retune myself.
    3. I often use the B as a thumb rest and whenever I try a 4 it feels awkward not having the extra string.

Not a fan of 6-strings because I find it gets in the way for a lot of funk slap n' pop stuff.

Later
    Rob

16. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Also comes in handy when transposing down to keep singers from shredding throats before the night is over ; }

17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Well it started off that the Sadowsky 5 string neck fit my hand so well that I learned to love the Low B ! :bassist:

18. I sometimes wonder if you came out of the womb with that bass in your hands. :smug:

19. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I've played 5's and few 6's for the last 17 years. During that time I put together a 4 string with the intent of using it primarily for slap. While I enjoyed playing the 4 string,
    I still had to bring my 5 to the gigs because I use the B on so many songs. I got tired of bringing 3 basses (5 string fretted & fretless) and sold the 4 string. That was 5 years ago and I doubt that I'll ever own another 4 string.

As a side note, I play primarily church worship music and the low B is used in practically everything we play.

20. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Depending on what type of music you are playing the 5 string is necessary. I started with a 4, went straight to a 6 and in the last couple of years.

Still like playing certain things on a 4, Especially, motown stuff because for the feel and phrasing IMO happens a little better on a 4. With a 5, I tend to play in the same area since I can do the parts in the same area. This really started because I played a 6 for a long time and you can play an entire song in the same position on the 6.

All that being said, if you like you 5 do you need to go to a 4? Will it help you do something better than you can do on your 4? I know guys who are trying to convince me that I need a 7 string.... It's about what you are trying to do