Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

all you cover bands!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassandlax, Feb 14, 2002.

1. bassandlax

bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    hey guys,
    me and my friends are in a semi band and reciently we were seen at a talent show and offered a gig for a middle school dance. We are all sophmores in high school. We have a good rythem player, a good drummer, an okay bassist (me) and an awesome guitarist, we could pull almost any nonjazz nonshred song. I was wondering what kidna songs we could play for a middle school dance... is there a cover song directory on the net... can you guys give me some tips or suggestions for songs... we need about 3 - 5 slow and 15 - 18 or so more songs. We have to cover 1 hr - 1 1/2 hrs.

So far we have:
    Guarantee
    Sum 41 - Fat Lip
    Chuck Berry - Jonny B Goode
    RHCP - Under the Bridge

Probably
    Blink 182 - Whats my age again, all the small things
    The Offspring - Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)
    Aerosmith - Sweet Emotion
    Creed - Assorted
    Puddle of Mudd - Blurry
    Sublime - Wrong Way (edited lyrics)
    Stone Temple Pilots - Interstate Love Song
    Three Doors Down - Looser
    AcDc - Shook me all night long
    Weezer - Island in the sun / say it aint so
    Lynard Skinnard - Sweet Home Alabama
    Beatles - Day Triper / Twist and Shout
    Tho Who - Aint no cure for the summertime blues

Maybe
    Kiss - Rock and Roll All Night
    Pearl Jam - Alive
    Jamiroquai/Funk
    Mettalica - I Dissapear
    Led Zepplin - Stairway To Heaven (edit?)
    George Clinton - Assorted
    The Doors - Roadhouse Blues
    Blind Mellon - No Rain
    Incubus - Drive
    Van Halen - Jump
    Rob/Joe/Blaine - Original
    Lenny Kravitz - American Woman

can you veteran cover guys help us?

thanks in advance

joe

2. bassandlax

bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    btw... some of the crappy songs on there are there cause its a 6 - 8th grade dance.. and we think they will like them (pop punk)

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    sounds like a good set to me...I'd throw in a few more slow ones. I know I sure liked the slow dances... :D

4. If you're playing at a dance you want slightly more popular song so play my generation instead of Aint no cure for the summertime blues, plus that gives you the chance to cut loose with afew little solos. I was made for loving you instead of rock and roll all night

I'm not saying sell out and play crap stuff for the crowd but the whole point of live music is to get the crowd going and it's easier doing that with songs they know and love.

Songs like under the bridge are a little deppressing for dances you want to make people feel good - not depressed - Love Rollercoaster rocks a room like nothing else.

What goes down well is some old classic disco jams like hot stuff (Donna Summer) and love shack(B52s) I touch my self (the divinals). - lose the crappy keyboard sounds play those parts on one guitar with distortion and wahs and stuff and turn it into a funk rock style song - it goes down well.

The Set looks very nice though

5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    WARNING: The following comment may start a huge flame war: As a cover band, this is the worst advice you can get. Cover bands need to play what the audience wants to hear, or you'll soon find yourself wondering where your audience went to. As a gigging cover band, you're being paid to please the crowd and more than likely, you're not going to do that with songs that only a handful of people know. A good rule of thumb is to play one song for the band and two songs for the audience. Pay attention to what songs are continuous "crowd-killers" and cut them from your set. If your goal is to get the audience into what you're doing, then you don't want to see them on and off the dance floor all night long. Ideally, you want them on the floor from the first song starts, until the last song ends. The more times they leave the dance floor, the greater the chance that you're gonna lose 'em for good.

I hope this advice doesn't scare you too much. Just remember to have fun, no matter what you're playing -- the audience will be able to tell and may be more likely to join in, even if it's not their bag. Good luck!

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Ramones are the quickest easiest boppiest tunes ya can learn. They always seem to get a crowd going.

Sedated, Blitzkrieg Bop, Rockaway Beach.....

7. I would do another slow one or two as well. I loved the slow ones when I was that age - just a chance to dance with someone.

Also, I would maybe add in a Greenday song, Ramones, Mighty M Bostones, Rancid, ... some stuff like that. Those are really fun bands with good dance music!

Good luck - it sounds great! And a great opportunity!

Later -
    K.

8. If u put ihis in context i was saying you had to play for the audience. There is a difference between doing this and selling out

9. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    You dont sellout at 16 doing school gigs.

Mike

10. Try a punkish version of any of the N'sync or Brittany songs the kids should like that.

11. Just a couple of good ones:

Upbeat:
    Killing in the name of - RATM
    Another brick in the wall pt 2 - Pink Floyd
    Today or Bullet with butterfly wings - Smashing Pumpkins
    Linkin Park - Crawling
    Run to the water - Live
    Don't like the drugs - Marilyn Manson
    And of course Smells like teen spirit - Nirvana
    Sweet child of mine - Guns n roses

Slower (or "other"):
    Disarm - Smashing Pumpkins
    Play that funky music - KC and the sunshine band
    Radiohead - Creep
    Narcotic - Liquido
    No woman no cry - Bob Marley

PS. If you're going to do Stairway, do it like it's on the record. This is not a song that you change in any way and actually walk away from it with both legs intact.

12. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    take this one a try:

The band: GUN
    The song: WORD up

13. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I am sure I am soon to feel the flames here, but in 20 years of hanging out and listening to bands, I must have heard 200 cover bands. And, I have NEVER, that's NEVER EVER heard a band do justice to that cover. I am not even sure it is possible. (Most are smart enough not to try it) I would avoid that song at all costs. You are setting yourself for disaster.

There are plenty of cool LP songs.

Do "Good Times, Bad Times." That one is a hoot to play.

14. I'm not exactly a veteran when it comes to cover bands, but the main songs that seem to get the audiences going for us are:

Sweet Child - Guns N Roses
    Paradise City - Guns N Roses
    Born to be Wild - Steppenwolf
    Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison
    Summer of '69 - Bryan Adams
    Run to you - Bryan Adams

And they're all pretty easy to play.

15. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Even in context, it sounds like you are inferring that by playing stuff for the crowd, you are "selling out."

16. Can't go wrong with Lounge Act or Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana. I would definitly recommend doing Smells Like Teen Spirit because everyone knows that song.