Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

All you ERBers, I need your help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I can get a Conklin GT-7 for 1450.00 (CDN). I've played the bass, with a setup and some new strings, it would be perfect. I love it. It's about 2-3 years old. Not 100% sure about that though.

My questions are:

1) Is this a good deal? I know a few ERBers who loved the GT-7.
    2) Where on earth can I get strings for it?
    3) Is it a good idea to jump from a Fender Fretless 4 to a Fretted 7? I do want something to challenge me and keep me off guard all the time.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark Wilson

2. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    1) Not really, a few years ago Guitar Center was blowing them out for 499.99 (US)
    2) SIT, Conklin, and a growing number of other companies make ERB strings.
    3) It ain't a bad idea by any means, it just might take you a while to get used to having 3 extra strings.

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    That's a little high for used, especially if it's the standard GT-7 and not the Dickens signature model. I'd go no higher than $900 CAD personally..

IF you're able to get the price down, get it. Strings can ge purchased from a number of places including JustStrings.com, Musician's Friend and other places. Normally they're about $35 to $39 for a set (USD).

Ask JT if it's a bad idea to go straight from 4 to 7 strings... ;)

4. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    haha Thanks guys

Also, it's not used. The owner of the store ordered it about 2-3 years ago, and it just never sold. I'm sure it's been played in the store quite a bit though.

EDIT: This is the exact bass

The same kind. Not that bass.

5. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I've seen new as low as $999 USD. Not often though.

6. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    So...Do you think I should haggle him down in price? I'm waiting for an e-mail back from Bill to acquire his input on this.

7. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I would, but it's up to you.

8. If it's what you're looking for, go for it. If not, send me the money and dance, dance, dance.

9. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    If you don't mind telling me where is this bass and where exactly do you live in canada? No worries I wont steal the bass I can't handle/don't intend to try to handle a 7 any time soon but I've never seen them around up here other than in my luthier's shop. PM me if you want. I would also try to haggle.

10. Yeah, haggle. From what I've seen here, the price isn't the best you can do, and if he's had it in the shop for that long, he's probably ready to move it to make room for newer stuff. That, and it being an "aquired taste" kind of bass, might give you an edge on price. Let us know how it works out!