All you guys seem to be so rich!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nojja, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Nojja

Nojja

Jul 15, 2006
    I mean,some of you at least half of the forum has like 12 basses a `la 1000-2000 dollar each.

Well i may be only 16 years old.
    But i mean, the adults i know who plays instruments have maybe one Gibson Les Paul guitar and a Acoustic guitar or maybe a old fender jazz and a stingray.

But all you guys seems to be rock stars who has a full army off beasts.....

So tell me are you guys rich or do you save money about 5 years so you can buy theese expensive basses?

(Edit MM) You can not use GD on the forums

2. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    We have real jobs.

3. I know I'm only 18 but I'm in a completely different position now than I was two years ago. I had one crappy bass and one crappy amp then and I've now got a stack and two nice basses. Nothing on Tom B's level but nice all the same. Just work hard and give it time. Be thankful you live in the States (guessing you do) cause witht the gear prices here it takes me about 6 months to save for a new cable!

4. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA

and we're all rock stars.

5. emils

emils

Jul 28, 2005
    Croatia
    ...and credit cards...

6. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Sad but so true:D

7. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    actually i dont have a real job and ive had my share of nice basses. i bought them with my own money, because i save.

my current 2 year stint in mandatory national service with a minimal (think <300USD per month) allowance has still allowed me to buy a zon and a ergo.

then again, youre 16. some people here are a *tad* older than that.

8. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Sono est omnia Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 26, 2003
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Luthier and Instrument Tech at Kala Brand Music Co.
    Yeah, I would guess that a lot of folks here have regular day jobs. I also think a lot of them happen to take music (and not just bass) very seriously....seriously enough to spend most of their hard-earned cash on basses and gear. Of course, you also have those people who get handed everything but that's not very interesting is it?

You must also consider this: basses and gear can be about one of the best investments you can make. Seriously. Look at Mr. Bowlus. He obviously knows what he's doing. Some things, like Sadowsky basses and Walter Woods amps, commonly yield a 90-110% return! There aren't too many things in this world that you can buy and then turn around and sell for as much, or more, than what you originally paid!

That's exactly how I've been able to change up my gear without having to dip into my day-to-day budget. I try to invest in stuff that's gonna hold its value well and, if I'm lucky, appreciate!

I guess I started getting pretty serious about bass gear when I was about 17. I had built up some momentum with some touring bands and I brought multiple basses and backup amps on the road. I've pared it down since then and I've gone the "light and ready" route. I don't like to be called a collector because I play them for a living but my friends do like to joke around about it and tell me how they think I am a hopeless gear-head (which isn't true, BTW :rolleyes:). :p

9. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin

maxed out credit cards: due to GAS...........

10. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Inactive

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    lol that is so funny... I JUST posted 12 basses 2 minutes ago... and I didn't even see this thread. I swear. LOL now that's funny. And I am in a rock band at the moment but we aren't making any money from it.

Joe

11. Ruddwijk

Ruddwijk

Apr 25, 2006
    If you have a decent job you can easily afford one high-end bass a year. Now, of course the people you really notice here is the guys with like 10 conklins, but still most people will never be in that league, you just dont notice them that well. Now i've bought basses for approx 4500$ in one year, and i'm 21, selling adsl via phone, go figure what someone with a "proper" job could do.

That being said, i suppose the reason most people dont have that much gear is because they really dont need it, and have other priorities.

12. dont sweat it man, save your money and look for the deals. im 16 as well and have just saved my money and looked for deals. i got my first electric in january, MIM jazz fretless for 300, and thne i have free upgrades through hunting around here, and i also bought an SWR goliath jr and 350 pro, for about 600. just be patient. do any odd jobs you can and save your cash for what you want. i gave upright lessons(got a new one of those coming this week as well) and did anything i could to make money, and it worked out. with a little ingenuity, you can get almost anything you want.

13. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    i stole my gears

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Who really gives a crap how many basses anyone has and how much they paid for them? You can only play one at a time, and a $5000 bass doesn't make you play any better, so relax, lighten up, and enjoy the bass you have.

15. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I've worked and played music for 35 years. I don't drink, smoke or waste my money on entertainment that some ad agency has told me I need.

I practice at least an hour a day, more if I can find the time. I generally make between 5K and 20K a year with music (that's in addition to my regular job teaching music).

I can afford to get the equipment I want and I do.

16. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Normally, I wouldn't feel the the need to justify how many basses I buy, since I bust my a*s in my day gig to support my family and when I have the cash, I like to buy gear. I know people who would sit around and smoke pot all day and watch cartoons. I always found it ironic that they always complained about money. I don't have the most basses on this board, but I wanted to chime in here and say my peace. Besides, I've been playing for 15 years, so I have bought basses over that entire time. It has nothing to do with being rich. It's just that when you believe in something, you find a way to get the gear that you need.

17. 00Funk

00Funk Inactive

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    Yes, I have gobs of equipment now, but I'll have you know, when I was 16, in 1977, I was playing thru a crackerjack K bass, and a no name combo amp. Playing along w/vinyl albums, learning bass.

You guys have IT MADE today.

All you have to do is get a cheap Cort Curbo bass of ebay, (wich in my opinion are very good), buy a Pandora, and plug your CD player into it.

I PAID my dues to get everything I got. Worked my ass off for years, to learn a trade, so I could afford bookoo bass toys

For years, and years, I was on, "barely get by street" pawning basses to pay rent

Those days are LONG gone :bassist:

18. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    One thing is for sure. If possible buy a really good bass. As mentioned above, a good bass holds it's value. It's like money in the bank. ;)

19. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I have a day job that pays my bills and I buy all my gear with gig money. After 25 years of gigging a few nights a week that has added up to a lot of $$$$.

The most expensive electric bass I have ever bought was $1500, my second upright cost me $2500. I'm not planning on buying any more basses, ever...unless an unbelievably sweet deal lands in my lap :cool:

20. I just turned 17 and the reason I have gear is because I have a job. It's alot easier to get that MIA Jazz when you workin for your money then it is to beg mom and dad to get it for your birthday. I know my parents couldnt spend 1K+ on my b-day, but im taking advantage of thw whole not paying bills thing while I can to horde as much as I can while I can.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021