All you guys seem to be so rich!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nojja, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Jman789

Jman789

Jan 18, 2006
    I have a day job. I am 40. I have been playing music for 30 years. I don't have great stuff (I have more guitar stuff than bass) but I have played enough to deserve what I have.

Most teenagers have more money tied up in CD's, MP3 players, video games and running shoes that a guy that has a nice guitar/bass and amp set up.

And what about the guys who like to have rifles, are they "rich" too. Not most, they just watch where they spend thier money.

Have some patience and you too will have nice stuff. It doesn't have to happen today.

2. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I started playing bass in 1982 with a Hondo II and a Peavey Combo 300. Six months later I traded the Hondo for a neck thru Aria Pro and played it through the Peavy for the next 13 years. I finally bought my first "high end" bass ( A warwick thumb) in 1996 when I had graduated from college and had been a practicing doctor for 3 years. You don't need an expensive bass to sound great. As someone else posted the basses that you can easily buy for under $500 these days are as good if not better than the $1000 basses we had back in the 1980's.

3. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I'm a pimp.

4. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    All you gotta do is work, save money and buy smart.
    At 16, I hadn`t even started to play bass.

5. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    (licks his eyebrows)

Wimmins bought all my basses fo meh.

6. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    +1 Pays great. How do I know? I'm a Super Pimp. Other pimps work for me.

7. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Really no need for that kinda language...I know you prolly didn't mean anything by it.
    I've been playing and reinvesting my gig money for over 30 years-that's how I do it...

8. jwl

jwl

Jan 25, 2005
    +1

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I've been at this since the 70's.

I have a job that keeps me on a computer on a regular basses and since I know what I'm doing, I find deal after deal after deal. If you take a genuine interest in this, with the resources available today, you can find just about anything you want used, sometimes at a tremendous savings. Won't do you much good if you don't have..

A good work ethic. Along with looking towards the future, this can put you in a very good position gear and toy-wise. If you find it and can't afford it, not much point in finding it.

Priorities. What would you buy first, the latest gaming system, a car or music gear? Answer: there is no correct answer in that simple question. Figure out what you need and do that first. Then, if things work out maybe you'll find the time to also get what you want.

Credit is cool as long as you understand the pitfalls and manage it properly. Many don't and you know who you are. The bottom line cost of attaining gear is all of the cost associated with it, not just the puchase price. If you find a sweet deal on a Stingray but the funds come from not paying a bill, the ramifications of not paying that bill weigh into the cost of the bass. Always keep the whole picture in mind.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Maybe he's looking for insight into how it can be done. The obvious and wrong answer is that everyone is rich. Might as well dispel that misconception right there. I know I'm not.

Is there anything wrong with that?

BTW you can only eat one meal at a time... so why buy groceries? You can only watch one movie at a time, so why buy DVDs? You can only pet one rhinocerous at a time, so...

Heck, Jaco even had more than one bass.
    :cool:

11. I have had second jobs to support my bass habit, like alot of these guys on here a good work ethic is key. Being a pimp is also a good road to persue. My guitar player, found himself a sugar momma and it seems to work for him very well.

12. Sigh... You Americans really ARE lucky...

13. Salizander

Salizander

Oct 28, 2004
    They clearly feel the need to compensate for some other aspect of there lives ... or maybe for some particular physical feature which seems to be lacking....:D

apologies... couldn't resist! :bag:

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heh. best. answer. ever.

i can't understand why some folks come to a discussion forum and try to encourage folks not to discuss things. :eyebrow:

15. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    If it weren't for wanting to buy basses, I would probably be one of the guys who just sits on the couch and complains about money. I don't really have much care for other worldly possessions, but because I wanted to make enough to buy new basses a couple of times a year, I got motivated to get a great job.

16. JBass1

JBass1

Dec 6, 2005
    NYC
    i'm only 18 and i've saved up for 2 amps (peavy tko 65 and a little hartke for practice-without-drums)...and an Ibanez SR506 and a Warwick Thumb NT...just from being a camp counselor for 2 summers and teaching private lessons to beginners ($25/hr)...now im in college in NYU so living is extremely expensive everyday...but just get a stupid part-time job and its all you really need...just have patience and a goal

17. etaym

etaym Gold Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Newton, MA
    I just had to take a huge bank loan to fund my dream basses :) Although I do have a good job - GAS is a hard thing to cope with.

However, I played a $60 precision copy for 2 years before my dad loand me the money for a Stingray (I had to work really hard that summer to pay him back) and it was only 10 years later that I baught my second bass! (ofcourse - then came studies, a job, some money and GAS)...

And the funny thing is - although I own 7 basses now - My Stingray and Stringray5 are the only ones that leave my house!

18. Amen Brother couldn't say it better

19. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    It's a combination of real job/credit cards/selling instruments/having my wife tell every family member who asks about my birthday "money for the new bass." My newest bass cost the most, and it was a combination of a little bit of tax refund + selling a used 1986 Pedulla MVP (that I bought for $650 back in '99 - bought by selling other gear), and stretching the rest of the payments over the 4 months it took them to build the bass.

Never sell short the importance of tax refunds - but those usually only get really interesting once you have a kid, or a house.

20. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I'm 38. When I was 16, I had zero basses. (One saxophone, though).

I bought my first bass (used Ric) with money I saved up from my paper route. The next year, I bought another bass, also with money from the paper route.

I didn't buy another bass for over 15 years. I was in college and grad school, and usually broke.

Now, I'm married, and my wife has a fantastic job. I supported her as a teacher while she was in grad school, and we were poor. Now that she's getting paid good money (and I'm a stay-at-home dad), we both treat ourselves to things. She buys clothes and goes to spas, etc.. I buy bass gear. We worked incredibly hard to get through grad school to get where we are today.

Bottom line: If you work hard in school, and get a good education, then you will be able to get a job one day that provides you with enough means to buy yourself the bass of your dreams. Best of luck.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021