All you guys seem to be so rich!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nojja, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Nah - that wouldn't fuel the capitalist economies of the world and keep all the marketing men in work!! ;)

"You must have as much new stuff as possible and you will do anything to get it!! "

That's what makes the world go round....:eyebrow:

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    *rolls eyes and makes sock puppet quacking motion with his right hand*

j/k :D

3. tribal3140

tribal3140 Inactive

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    you ask how do I get the money?
    I rob from the crazy and give to the more crazy.
    it like robin hood but with MC hammer pants instead of tights.

.......Priorities..........hmmmmm.
    Its true I play just as well on my $1000 fortress MM than I do on a 6k+ botique bass.
    But I also collect carved wood masks from bali and india.
    turned wood bowls and some old school and exotic blade weapondry.
    bagua,gladuis,the hammer of thor (still in progress)etc etc.
    and yes I have those custom made too!
    and I am not rich, not by a long shot.

like I said robin hood in MC hammer pants!:eyebrow:

4. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    That's not necessarily true. When I bought my first (and only so far) Alembic, I immediately was a better bassist than I was before. Having a good instrument will not automatically make you a master, but stepping up can definitely improve your technique.

5. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    This is the same for me. I have a low-paying, but consistent job every weekend. The pay isn't great by any means, but the fact that I don't have any bills or rent to pay means that most of it just goes to my bank account. This, of course, won't last long since I'm going to be getting married soon. All the more reason I should do it now, right? :D

Also, if you can save up enough money initially, you can buy and sell bass gear to try out different things. If you're smart and plan well, you'll get most of your money back. If you're really smart, you can hunt for deals and actually make a profit on buying and selling gear. I've had, and still have, some very nice equipment since I've been on TB, and I don't think I've even lost money yet. I've definitely earned some!

As of now, I'm only making $40 a week at my job (it's only on Saturdays). Who knows how bad I'll be once I get out of nursing school!:eek:

The bottom line: Get a job and save!

6. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    well, some of us are rich! :smug: but not most of us.

so, ask you mom and dad. or get a job. or get a credit card.
    or read this forum and see what's for sale/good deals on craigslist and ebay.

no doubt, people do crazy things for gear. it's up to you whether you want to max out a credit card and be in debt forever or not (i have no doubt that some do).

me: i'm cheap and i work at a nonprofit (i.e. i'm always broke).
    but thanks to this forum, i got me a TBC bass on ebay for cheap, and i'm totally satisfied with one bass.

7. I second that motion, well said.

The only reason that I have over 20 basses (I don't even count anymore as some are always coming or going) is because I use some of the money I make at my job in addition to selling other things that I am no longer interested in. But who really cares about all that? I don't need them all. Maybe two basses, one as a backup is all that anybody needs. Maybe throw in a fretless if necessary. Yeah, people say they need a 4-string, a 5-string, a 6-string too, or whatever. Well sure, if you MUST have a huge variety because you are fooling yourself into thinking you need so many different kinds for so many different things, then whatever. We just buy the varieties because we like them, and we often make up excuses for why we need them (oh, I gotta have one with these so-and-so pickups, or I need this one just for slapping). Yeah right. I could pare my 20+ down to two, or three at the very most and still be set very nicely.

Heck, some people have alot of cars, jewelry, baseball cards or girlfriends. Collecting basses is better than playing in the streets. :bassist:

8. Here is my recipe for the quickest way to financial freedom and buying all the basses you want...........Buy an inexpenive import or used bass and rig that will keep you happy for now. Work for yourself taking advantage of all the financial loopholes possible while focusing on generating passive income sources for about 20 years. Work and focus on your net worth first rather than just income. Then semi retire at 36 when your passive income is enough live on while generating a full comfy retirement on it's own. Sounds difficult but if you start this at 16 you will be financially set in life faster than you can imagine ;) 20 years sounds like a long time but when your 40+ it's gone by in an instant!!

9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    • some of us get them for free
    • some of us have real jobs
    • some of use have girlfriends with credit cards
    • a few of us have our own credit cards
    • come of us save like crazy
    • some of us have real jobs
    • some of us have jobs that aren't all that real but pay a lot
    • some of us play in cover bands for extra money even though we hate it but not as much as we'd hate waiting on tables or driving a cab for extra money
    • some of us get "artist deals" with the companies and pay about half the retail price
    • some of us have rich parents
    • some of us have rich friends
    • some of us walk into guitar center when they're having a blowout and get bongos or streamer pro-Ms for $500
    • i don't believe any of us do anything unethical to obtain our basses
    • some of us won basses
    • some of us won lotto
    • some of us are just stupid rich
    i think that covers it.

10. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    When I was 15 I was a sax player and picking up bass around early 1988. I lived in a small secluded town with one small music store (with low-end peavey & yamaha). I borrowed a bass for a few months, and I played through a boom box as my amp. My drummer friend had the same boom box, so my rig then became a "stack".
    I had found a $175 P Bass copy, my dad and grandma went halfsies on it, then my dad and I went halfsies on a new peavy 1516 cab with a 100w century head, and that was my setup for the next 3 years. Big name brands didn't exist much in my home town, nor did any good used stuff. The Ernie Ball factory was 45mi away, but back then $1300 was alot to pay for a gig-less town. I now have been playing for 18 years, and trading or selling to up grade my gear, and I use gig money and I have a good pating job to get whatever I want.

But you young guys have it much easier today than we older guys ever had before the internet.
    With the net, it is so easy to find anything you want...it's especially easy to find it used at great prices. Spend your money smart on gear, and don't waste your money on girls...they're not worth it when they're just girlfriends.

11. dveeus1

dveeus1

Jan 7, 2001
    DFW, Texas

+1

Dont worry about it at 16. Think about your future and what you want it to hold for you. If you want to have all kinds of cool stuff. Get yourself a plan on how to make that happen. And STICK TO IT !!!

12. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Credit, man. I can say with some reluctance that the gear I own now is right at where my playing level is. Sure I'd love some more, but I have already maxed out my credit buying this stuff and then I got fired and.. well long story short, it's not without it's sacrifices.

Look for holes. Find people who don't know what they own and buy from them cheap. Guitar Center commonly does not know what they have used. Many smaller shops do though...

13. ukbassboy

ukbassboy

Mar 19, 2006
    UK
    I am very fortunate to have a good job that I love and which gives me a large diposable income - I have one bass. I may buy another shortly as a spare but that will be it.
    We often get told at work how 'lucky' we are to have a job like ours, but it took a lot of hard work to get this lucky!

14. 00Funk

00Funk Inactive

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    +1

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'm poor. I just sneak over to Tom Bowlus' and take his stuff. He doesn't even notice most of the time.

16. Winemule

Winemule Guest

Feb 27, 2005
    With the exception of my first rig--a Hagstrom bass with a Gibson combo amp that my Dad bought me when i was 16--I have paid for every instrument I own out of the money I've made from playing. I'm 56 now and I have been very, very lucky financially. But the rule still holds. Got my eye on a Gretsch, but I'm not going to buy it until I have the gig money in hand.

17. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005

Tell that to Michael Manring.

18. The opposite's true as well.

When I was younger I had nothing but time to sit around, play bass all the time and wish I had better gear because I couldn't afford it since I had crappy jobs.

Now I'm older and can afford all the gear I wanted and I sit around wishing I had the time to play it since I spend all my time working the job that lets me buy all the equipment.

I think I was a bit happier with the first one to be honest, but the grass is always greener and all that...

19. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Inactive

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    We've paid our dues, worked very hard, earned more as we got older, etc...

You'll understand when you are older. No one gets a free ride and rarely do people get something for nothing.

Just work hard, learn your craft, work real hard, pay your dues, work real hard and things will improve.

20. xyllion

xyllion Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I'm 42. I just spend my kids Christmas money on myself :D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021