All you guys seem to be so rich!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nojja, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    No son, we can't afford the new XBox 360...sorry.

(he he he!)

I know how aggravating it may seem not being able to buy the gear you want, but persistence and hard work will get you where you want to be. One word of advice, though. When you finally get what you want, INSURE IT. There's nothing worse than finally getting that bass or head you've always dreamed of and having some sorry sticky-fingered a*&#@le find his easy way to get gear.

2. "And stop touching daddy's new custom 7-string. You'll get fingerprints and tear-stains on the finish..."

3. xyllion

xyllion Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    More like, "Forget about college, Daddy needs a new Wal." :bassist: :D

4. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I paid my dues through my high school and college years with one decent bass and a crappy amp. Now I have a good job, and I buy almost exclusively used gear at good prices. Almost every bass or piece of gear I have could be sold quickly for the $$$ I have in it. I am definitely making up now for all the stuff I wished I could get back then. In college, I was restoring a '66 Mustang and all my money went into the car.

Also, five years ago we sold a house in California and I kept a nice chunk of the profits to use for my bass fund :D

5. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I play music for a living. By no means am I rich in that I drive a crappy car, and I don't own a home in SoCal. However, I feel truely blessed. I get to eat square meals everyday and pay my rent and bills through music. I happen to love bass so I own 11 great basses. If I had a real day job, I'd be afraid to know what kind of collection I'd have. In a sense though, if I wasn't playing music for a living, I would not be able to justify more purchases.
    One thing is that when you get a 1099 at the end of the year and see the accountant, it makes sense to buy equipment. I have equipment which I love and they all serve various purposes for me at this moment.

I would imagine that I am in the highest 10 percentile on here in the Bass Gear in proportion to Total Assets. I have several basses worth more than my automobile. But check this, if I had a BMW, it'd be worth 1/5 of its current value 7 years seven years from now. My basses will be the same if not more money in the same span.

6. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    When I was 16 I had a Univox bass that my mom bought me.
    I worked all summer to buy a cheap car and traded it for my first amp.
    I was 16 with no car but I had a bass and amp.
    Don't belly-ache. It gets better.
    Your doing fine.

7. What I did for years was buy stuff used for really cheap, turn around and sell it after a couple months for a huge profit. After you do that a few times you have either so much gear to sell or keep, or you have a huge wad of cash to buy whatever you want. Put that together with scrounging for money.

When I was ready to mature and be a real gear whore, I sold EVERYTHING I had music wise, put that money together with some I had saved up and bought a brand new fall limited Taylor acoustic guitar which only goes up in value. And also a brand new american G&L L2000 bass, both for about 60% of what they should have cost, but it was a going out of business sale. There's what like......close to 4000 dollars (canadian) worth of gear I got for incredible deals?

Then I got a job and worked my butt off to get the rest of my gear.

8. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    I had several things going for me.

-I didn't buy a lot of basses. Just had my beginners bass and tried everything I could, saving up along the way.

-Wife was working.

-No kids.

-Got a pretty good bonus from work.

All these things contributed to me buying my Fodera. That and I knew we'd end up having a kid in the near future. I figured I should take the opportunity when it's presented.

Aside from that, I'm starting to eye ways to earn some side cash for other gear I'd like. If they do well. Great. If not, I've at least got my one nice bass and I can be happy with that for a long while ;)

9. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    Next spot we hit, it was the music-shop
    It only took one brick to make that window drop
    Finally we got our own P.A.
    Where do you think I got this guitar that you're hearing today?

April 29th, 1992

10. eduardo salles

eduardo salles

Jun 20, 2006
    YEAH!! i stole all of my basses. Its much better because you can save your money for something else

11. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Don't let that stuff distract you. TB members run the gamut from 12 year olds to 60+ year olds, and poor kids to rich executives. So, you'll read about guys with 20+ basses, etc. it doesn't matter how many basses you have.

Just enjoy your craft, keep an open mind, keep practicing, and never stop learning. ...advice from an old fart who only owned one Fender bass for many years.

12. Are you guys organized, you know, like those Tupperware ladies? If you are I want an invite to to one of those parties where I can sample all your products, you know, without buying anything.

How many sales you gotta make to be a Super Pimp?

:bag:

:D

Bob

13. I'm only seventeen, and I've been playing bass close to four years, though not all of those four years have been taken seriously.

I started out with an Ibanez GSR200 and a Crate BX15. I played through that for a year and a half.

When it came time to play my first show, my parents actually loaned me the money to buy a half stack, which consists of a Peavey Series-400 (B version) and a Carvin B-115H. It's not much, but it does the job, and I did a bunch of work for them to pay them back. I still currently use this setup since I have no means of an income at the moment, so I haven't had the chance to buy anything better.

During August 2004, I was at a music festival here, and around this time I was wondering whether or not I should upgrade to a 5 or 6 string, but was leaning towards the six because I was interested in having the high C.

Anyway, I was helping my friend, Lilah, out at Portugal, The Man's merchandise table, and this was long before they were popular. Their bassist ended up asking me if I was interested in purchasing his Schecter AB-5 for 50$, and I gladly talked to him about it and he showed it to me. My mate loaned me the money, and I paid him back.

What I have now isn't the greatest equipment in the world, but I still love it all the same. I also don't think I'd purchase equipment new unless I absolutely wanted to be the first owner of it. Otherwise, I don't mind buying used especially if it's a great deal.

I'm going to be applying for jobs soon, and I know that I want to play music, so all of that money is going towards equipment, and all other money I earn is going towards that as well.

You just have to realise what you want out of playing, and, if you're completely serious about playing, know what you want and work your ass off for it. It'll definitely be worth it in the end.

I've also had to spend money on other instruments such as a clarinet and a tenor saxophone, and my flute was free since my stepdad owned one when I had to learn it for jazz band. Instruments like that definitely don't come cheap. Not to mention the fact that I upgraded my tenor saxophone reed, and that there was 115$, and then you have to factor in the cost of reeds for clarinets and saxophones.

It all just comes down to how badly you want it.

14. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Endorsing artist: Bergantino Audio Systems
    I only had two basses for over ten years. My first main gigging band at 18, I had one pretty good bass (a Kramer US neck through model), and a cheap backup that I played for one song at one show when a string broke while our roadie changed it. I eventually sold both and built a Warmoth, bought a Warwick, and bought a used Hamer 8 string. That was it for another 8 years.
    Then, I became a manager at Musicians Friend in New Orleans. and the G.A.S. bug hit. Fender Geddy Lee, my first Spector, a G&L, etc. Currently I'm at 9 basses (don't work at a music store though). Getting ready to sell 2 and order 1. That's part of the trick. Once you get up there in quantity, you can always sell and trade to keep the credit card from bursting into flames.
    Let's face it though, all you really need is 2 if you are gigging (and one can be pretty cheap-let's face it, a MIM P-Bass will get you through the set if you break a string, etc. just fine. My band played 3-4 times a week and travelled every weekend and all I had was the cheapest 80's Kramer as a backup. All those shows, I had to play it for one song).

15. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Rich got nutin' to do wit it, laddie, I PLUNDER all me basses, ARGH! :mad:

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Dude, where's my car, er, Sadowsky!?!!? :eek:

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The jury is still out on that one. :rollno: In truth, most music gear is not going to make a great investment. Vintage Fenders, Gibsons, etc. are perhaps the way to go, but those markets are getting pretty crazy. I can see pre-Gibson Tobiases becoming highly collectible, and certain unique instruments may appreciate in value, but most do not. The Walter Woods amp phenomenon defies all logical explanation. :eyebrow: But by and large, I tend to "collect" more because I appreciate the uniqueness or quality of a given item, and not as an investment.

But, responding to some of the other thoughts/advice in this thread, I'd also like to say take it slow, work hard, get a good education and good job, take care of your finances, establish some stability, and then accumulate "bonus" gear only after all other responsibilities are taken care of (including retirement, college for kids, etc.). I say "bonus" gear because for some players with demanding gigs, getting a premium setup earlier on can make sense, but having twenty premium setups would certainly be in the "bonus" category. :D

I only owned only one bass for about 8 years (it took me that long to save for my first "real" bass, my much beloved Gibson Thunderbird), and then gigged with two instruments for many years thereafter. I played moderate gear (Peavey, Audio Centron, etc.) for many years. I then stepped up to some higher end gear (Eden, Mesa Boogie) for many more years, and played the heck out of that stuff.

My wife and I both have good degrees and good jobs, our house is not entirely paid for, but on the way there, our retirement funds are well taken care of, our college savings funds are starting to grow, and we are doing well. This has allowed me to indulge a bit (well, more than a bit! :eek:), but I have to admit, I am just way over the top, and I am trying to reign myself in a bit. :rollno:

I can't really boil all of the above down into one little nugget, but I will say, take your time, be responsible, and life will take care of you. :)

And, just because some yahoos like myself and others have all this cool gear doesn't mean that you can't set the world on fire with a much more modest setup. :cool:

Best of luck, Tom.

18. Great post Tom! As soon as the more/most important things in life are taken care of, there's nothing wrong with some indulgement... :smug:

19. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    Audio Centron? That was my first power amp. 250 watts bridged. Played it through the 80's. What a brick! After collecting dust for about 10 years I turned it on and it sounded like a white noise generator. I threw it in the dumpster 6 years ago. How funny is that?

Sorry I digressed...

I have six basses, but I only play two and only one leaves the house. I went down in my basement last week and I thought I was in the wrong house. Cabs, basses, racks, heads, stuff everywhere.

A real light bulb moment. It was then I realized I was a G GG g a s a h o l i c...:help:

So I go to my first GA meeting.
    My name is SuperT and I'm a G g gasaholic!

Five of the basses are for sale on eBay or will be soon, all the cabs are going except 2, all kinds of bodies, bridges, necks, pickups, it all out of here.

I get the employee discount from a national music store chain (although I'm not an employee). So if I see a bass I think I want, I get it dirt cheap (especially used gear) only later to realize I really don't like it or it doesn't fit my style.

That's how I get most of my gear. But I realized my eyes are bigger than my stomach so I'm pairing down to what really works for me.

And yes, I have real job (an engineer) I struggled through school and my wife has a real job and she struggled through school. I can buy almost any piece of gear I want, but for me it's not practical and I'm starting not to enjoy it. The stuff I take out and gig with is what I enjoy. It sounds awesome every time I fire it up, the rest is just taking up space, so it's outta here.

My advice stay in school and buy used, if it's not what you want sell it unless you come across something worth keeping like 62 P-Bass, otherwise turn it over...

SuperT

20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Jobs?! We don't need no steenking jobs!

(endorsement deals) :bag:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021