All you guys seem to be so rich!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nojja, Sep 18, 2006.

1. mobax

mobax

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    Yeah, yeah, yeah.

2. You haven't been playing in the right gigs, then :D :bassist:

3. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    hmmm i bought my own modulus flea(1500$) when i was 17... all i did was work at the theater for 5.75$/hr(min. wage back then...) but lets just say...being 17.... and not spending a dime is NOT something i want to ever do again..

4. I'm 20 but started playing when I was 16, my parents wouldn't help me pay for a bass because they didn't think I would stick with it. So I worked my butt off for my grandmother all summer before senior year, saved up $200, went to guitar center and got the best thing I could afford; a GSR100 and Crate 10w combo. Then saved up another six months and got a 100w combo.
    Everything else was earned pretty much the same way, working and saving. The places I've worked have been different, but it's still work, and saving.

5. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    A green MArtian, that reminds me of when I was 9 or 10. I wanted a Game Boy more than anything else in the world. So I put one on layaway at K-mart and worked at the flea market helping vendors set up and watching their tables when they got up. It took me the better part of the year, but when that day came, I was the happiest kid on earth. Now, when I want a new piece of gear, it's a lot easier, because I have a 'real' job. It's just a matter of managing my money, and deciding if that new bass is more important than the mortgage payment.

6. Classic... and I can relate totally.

7. I'm not proud of it, but I get a lot of money from my parents. I've tried to get a job, but it's really hard around here. I'm 16 by the way.

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Buy used, is all I can say.

Few basses hold their value and players get bored of their instruments no matter how cool or tricked out they are. There's lots of coffee-table basses and other neat stuff on these boards and bassgear.com that's going at a 30-60% discount off of *street* prices.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm 19 and easilly have $10k invested in musical instruments. Some is going up in value, some is going down, but I buy to play, to create, to be myself. It's called being young, living with parents, and having a fairly disposable income.

10. mobax

mobax

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    Very true.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Buy low, sell high. Pretty easy if you do your homework.

I was at an open mic on Tuesday and a guy came in with a Moon bass a friend of mine used to own. My friend was at the open mic too and instantly recognized his old bass. Not the J bass style Moons, this one was similar to a Fodera style-wise.

My friend had bought it used for $1,300 a couple of years prior. The current owner picked it up at a pawnshop for $199. Funny thing was, neither he nor the pawnshop knew what it was either

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Did you offer him 500 for it? :D

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

He was fairly happy with it. Believe it or not, I never make offers on stuff like that. If they don't tell me it's for sale or they're unhappy with it, I don't bring it up. Beside, I need another bass like Jerry Lewis needs more socks.

In fact I typically go out of my way to make sure people actually want to sell what they're selling, especially on the ridiculous deals. As someone who's suffered from seller's remorse, even if I'm not involved in the sale I'll question if they "really" want to do what they're doing.

Otherwise I could've picked up a nice Fodera for $2k, a Roscoe Beck for $500, etc. The goofy thing is, while those people initially rethought the sale and kept the bass, both were sold within a couple of months anyway.

I guess my favorite is people who, even though they know I buy stuff, practically give stuff away to stores. Like a JD Supernatural for $800:scowl:

:bassist:

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Brad is the KING of the bargain priced botique bass.

15. SuperT[/QUOTE]And yes, I have real job (an engineer) I struggled through school and my wife has a real job and she struggled through school.

My advice stay in school and buy used, if it's not what you want sell it unless you come across something worth keeping like 62 P-Bass, otherwise turn it over...

SuperT[/QUOTE]

In '67 that 62 p-bass was just another used bass, a little beat up and for sale cheap!

As one of the 'old guys', I can safely state age has some perks. Being able to live with GAS is a major bonus. In my younger days I played a single pup Kent bass with dead strings because I couldn't afford a new set. I paid my way thru college playing in cover bar bands using that Kent bass and a Silvertone amp. Yes, when you're young life can be tough. Now I'm older. I have several degrees, a great job and a LARGE number of basses. I still play in bar band, but now all gig money goes toward GAS not general living expenses. All my basses sound and play great (IMO) and I didn't pay more than $500 for any of them. I've learned to shop and buy for sound and playability, NOT headstock decals. That's just my style; I look for function, buy low, sell at a profit, reinvest in more gear. Heck it's only taken 30+ years of hard work and horse trading to get to where I am today. I guess I’m just another overnight sensation.

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Some new nice basses might be the only upside to being single. :meh:

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I think that a lot of us were broke and 16 at some point in our lives.:)

I remember when I was a teenager, my dad lost his job just before Thanksgiving, and he had to sell my bass, amp, and drums to pay the rent.:(

I found a cheapo classical guitar that somebody threw in the dumpster, pulled out the frets, and strung it up with the heaviest green weedeater string I could find. That was my only bass for over a year.

I think that I may have overcompensated a bit, since God blessed me with a great IT job a few years ago. If you call 13 basses, 4 amps, and 3 guitars overcompensating.:D

Seriously, I am not rich, but I am richly blessed. And I thank God for it each and every day.:bassist:

18. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio

And he steps in for a few minutes...

:D

We miss you, you big goofy! :hyper: :bassist:

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Got any jizz tacos?

20. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    No, but I hit up Taco Cabana tonight (cheat night... i have been eating waaaaaaay better... i'm not fat like Jive1, anymore)

:D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021