All you guys seem to be so rich!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nojja, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Bradley was the Man!!!

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

No fair!:mad: You lose weight, and I find it!:spit::D

3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    As others have said, buying used is often the most cost-effective way to get what you want if you're patient. I've gotten 3 used Pedullas whose combined price roughly equals one new Pedulla.

Also if you file taxes as a musician it can be beneficial to increase your expenses (by buying gear) to reduce your taxable income.

4. Student by day, cook by night, Rock star by later night ;)

i cook man, its rad. its good money, you get free food, and hours are pretty flexible. + ladies love cooking.

Trust me dude, you want to know how to cook, hang out with your mom more often. and get into a home ed class or something. its amazing how far muffins will take you.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    HA! I gave it to you!

:bag:

6. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

My name is Elmer J. Fudd, I own a mansion and a yacht.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I don't smoke, drink, do drugs, patronize prostitutes or buy Harleys. That and a good education and the resultant good job cover pretty much any gear I want. You can do it too. Just don't get ahead of yourself. Go to college, major in engineering, work 20 years, then buy some basses, if there still is such a thing.

8. I hate GAS, I'm 3000 dollars in debt because I wanted a drumkit and I'm not even a drummer, blahhh. Don't let music stores offer you an account.

9. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Like Todd said, stay away from GC credit cards. 'No payments, no interest for a full year.' Read the fine print! If you don't pay it off in one year, interest accrues from day one. Even if you only owe $10, after 365 days, your paying interest on the full purchase price...and at....***...21%!!! I often hear people say, "man, if we were at zero right now..." When you're young is when you can start to get into trouble. Especially when you feel that everyone has more gear than you. Don't apply for cards that you can't afford, and pay your taxes. If you don't pay them, at least file. If you don't file, then the IRS will not see any deductions and just base the amount on your income.

10. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    I make my money from music & have for the past 40 years. All my basses have paid for themselves(except the new ones). I spend most days in the studio & most nights onstage. When I was a kid playing gigs, I started with a Teisco bass that I got as an endorsement from the company. It was pretty crappy to play, but it sounded good. Then I saved up & got a '68 Rickenbacker. It was a huge jump in quality. It was so easy to play by comparison that I realized that I was actually better than I thought I was. I wish I still had that Rick & the 4-5 Fenders I had after that. I could sell them & take a nice trip or maybe buy a new truck. You young guys work hard & play what you've got like you mean it. The high dollar basses & other gear will come in time. Just know that even the low end stuff plays way better than what we started with long ago.

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Until I got my first job at age 16 my mom gave me $1 a week for an allowance. Once I started working part time she let me keep $10 a week.

An LP (no CDs then) was $3-4, gas was 30 cents a gallon, movies were $1 and a ticket to a rock concert was no more than $5. Even so, that $10 went fast. A new Precision Bass was $300 and a Bassman amp $565...that would have required me to save for almost 2 years and not spend a penny in the meantime.

I could have bought a cheap Japanese bass and amp for less than $200 (or if I knew where to look found some used pro gear for about the same...yes, in 1970 you could buy used Fenders for $100) which would have only required me to save half my allowance for a year. But I didn't bother, instead I blew it on LPs, comic books, movies and whatever else instead of actually showing some willpower and saving $5 a week. Hey, maybe if I had saved some my parents might have kicked in some money.

I was even too stupid to try to get into the high school band...they had no bassist but the school owned a Gibson bass and some kind of amp which I could have used.

I finally bought my first bass after leaving high school and joining the army at age 19. With one of my first paychecks ($300 a month back then) I bought a bass and amp.

In hindsight I just wasn't motivated enough to save the money I needed to get a bass so I went without all through high school while friends of mine were playing in bands.

12. morebass!

morebass! I'm all ears Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    +1!!!

13. :cool: A lot of it is also where you place your priorities. If music, and basses, and bass amps are your priority, then you will give up other things to buy the good stuff, and as much as you can afford that will satisfy your itches.

When some dude goes out and buys a $20,000 Harley, when he make $30,000 a year, no one thinks he rich. He is either in debt up to his eyeballs, or he set his priorities and gave up some things. Like maybe an expensive car; he drives a used cheap one. Or an expensive house; he lives in a smaller older home. Or T-Bone steaks and caviar; he eats a lot of hotdogs and p-nut butter. I think you get the idea.

No, I don't really think most of us are rich. Many of us just set our priorities and live accordingly. Others may be so far in over their heads that you can't even see 'em anymore. And, a few might actually be rich (adopt me, please!).:bassist:

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    No interest, no payments for one year isn't the problem... the people who screw themselves up by not playing by the rules are.

The green bass in my avatar is my Zon Legacy Standard frteless 5. I bought it new for half price from a dealer who was changing lines. Not only was the price absurd ($1500), they offered one year, etc. I left with the basss without paying a dime.

I put a reminder on my Palm Pilot for 11 months out. For the next almost year it was my main bass on all of my gigs. The bass easily paid for itself over and over again. At month 11 I set a reminder for one week shy of the anniversary date. At week 51 I drove to the store and handed them a check for $1500 + tax and got a receipt. Wasn't going to fool around and mail it or do it by phone, etc. All along I knew the bass would cost a lot more if I screwed up and forgot. So I didn't. I set reminders... technology is your friend;)

Done. I used a bass free for a year and paid for it afterwards.
    So what exactly is the problem with this? I love it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
    :bassist:

As to the rest of your advice, very good common sense advice. If only more people followed it.

15. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I work in a guitar store and get lots of good deals (mom 'n pop shoppe). Other than that, I trade a lot and try out whatever I can when I can. My philosophy is simple: I want to try every model of bass at least once. Then, and only then, can I have an educated opinion on every bass (Mwa-ha-ha). Actually, I'm devoted to the bass like a stalker to a runway model.:eyebrow:

DCP_0048.jpg

16. lonegroover

lonegroover

Jul 16, 2006
    the power of compounding interest.

National disgrace it's not taught in schools.

17. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey

I agree with you 100%. I'm just putting out the warning, because, well...in all the excitement of getting your dream bass, some people sign up without reading a lick of the fine print. Especially younger people who don't understand how credit cards work yet. I know people who got into trouble early, and had to file B.K. in their early 30's. It's great that you got such a nice bass that way. Glad to hear it worked out for you.

18. I at age 16 also only had one bass.
    It was a Ric 4001 that I purchased at Manny's on 48 st in NYC.
    That was 30 years ago. It cost $389. back then.
    I had a couple of small jobs back then. However, I only grossed $80. a week.:(
    As you climb that economic ladder, you'll have more funds to buy more gear.
    Your time will come.

19. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    sadly,
    that's funny :smug:

I buy my gear to play.
    It's not an investment in anything but my own fulfillment.
    If I want to make money, I'll invest in land, and I have.
    If I want to make music, I invest in gear.
    The better gear I invest in, the better my music sounds.
    I have no really high end gear.
    My current workhorse is an mim fender p deluxe and a Hartke rig,
    but I also own about 1/2 of a nice p.a.
    and enough gear to record at home if I want to.
    We don't gig often, but we gig enough and folks enjoy us when we do.
    That's worth investing in.

20. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021