1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

All You Parametric EQ Gurus......

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SpazzTheBassist, Feb 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Gonna give my Variax 700 an honest go......Need advice on the following frequencies bumps/dips:

Strung with Fresh Roundwounds

Jazz Bass -- Marcus Miller punch and clarity, particularly slap bass but fingers as well

StingRay -- "That Sound".....currently pushing 8K +6db 2/3 Octave Spread....this helps but theres something lower Im missing to try to emulate that parrallel humbucker

Alembic Series I - That "burpy" quality from the neck pick-up, when mixed with the bridge PU, is that crystal-clear Alembic sound. This is why Peavey T-40s do awesome Alembic facsimiles (on those loud Toaster Pickups)...The Variax is missing that "burpiness"

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Here's the general problem with EQ settings threads: every part of your tone chain is important. Even if we try to eliminate variables -- say, we both own the same model Variax, we're both recording direct rather than amplifying, we're both using the exact same string sets (all rounds are not created equal) -- then technique comes into play.

All that said: for the Stingray, instead of 8k, I'd try between 2k and 4k: lower for vintage, higher for modern. Can't really comment on the others!

3. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006

Thanks for the reply -- I guess Im asking for "ballpark" then I'll have to further tailor it to my personal discrepancies

Technique is always hard to describe in words but Im very very consistant - Im one of those guys that uses Compression as a Limiter (10:1) in studio and live situations just to reign in transients and to curb popped strings...When I play fingerstyle, its mostly toward the bridge for more pronounced articulation but will sometimes move plucking hand two different places for different tonal variations (as well as pickup selection and different techniques)

Strings, I usually get whats on sale because I change them so often (LOL) but mostly - like today - Im using DiAddario Nickel 40s (my local store gives me an excellent price break on them)

Will try your adjustments...thanks again

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  4. dinoadventures

dinoadventures Feets don't fail me now!

Jul 10, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    Perhaps there is something I don't understand here... which parametric EQ are you using? Is this one on an onboard preamp?

5. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    I have a Zoom B3 and a Zoom B1on....the B1on I use strictly for Parametric EQ and nothing else....it goes before the B3 (of which I use mostly just a Compressor out of set at 10:1 Limiting)

6. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    After years of searching and spending of money i use for now EBS Microbass II for tone-shaping. My Cort A6 and Fender JB Marcus Miller are very different basses and that pre-amp is better than anything before lets me control them.

SpazzTheBassist likes this.
  7. ThePresident777

ThePresident777

Oct 6, 2013
    Isn't the variax supposed to offer all those tones? Why the para eq?