Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

All you super know-it-all techies

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by top028, Aug 23, 2000.

1. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I have this 70's archtop (at least the previous owner told me so) it is a Maxitione. I dont know what model, or any thing about it, except that it has maple top and back, a mahogany neck, and was made in Korea. I assume that It has very small value, so I am thinking about putting some different pickups in it, and routing a hole for annother. I hate the neck too (thick as a baseball bat) so I want to get annother, perhaps frettless...It would make some great up-right-like sounds. If any one knows any thing about it, please advise me to continue with my plans, or not.

thanks guys and gals

2. Claude

Claude

Jul 31, 2000
    I would never keep a bass that had a neck I didn't love. I would suggest selling the instrument and saving up for something that really made you squirt. Otherwise, you may be throwing good money after bad.

3. An archtop with all of it's internal bracing and set neck (I assume) would be a world of trouble to work on. If you're not sentimentally attached to it, put it up for auction with a reasonable starting bid and see what happens. You just might be surprised. Then take the dough and GO SHOPPING. Which is probably one of the most enjoyable experiences that a bass player could have.

4. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Do that early Townsend or Hendrix thing with it.Take the money and buy something else.If your not an experienced luthier,youll still hate it when your done.There is a philosophy from the antique auto hobby that applies here.Buy the best example you can possibly afford to start with.

5. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    Thanks guys, it was my first bass, and fortunatly it has a bolt on neck. I love the accustic tone of the instrument, and I dont really want to part with it. I am pretty good with my hands, and I think I can do a good job.
    thanks again