Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Allan Grossman or Lord Valve! (more tube questions)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thetaurus, Dec 13, 2002.

1. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    alright...so i just got back from the store where i was going to buy some sovtek 12ax7lps's for my svp pro. after talking to the guy, and getting a price, i asked him about his return policy, seeing as these tubes are defective much of the time. i told him about lord valve and how he tests the tubes and all that. the guy finally told me to save myself the trouble and just order from lord valve, rather than going through the trouble of trying to return tubes and whatnot.

so now i've decided on getting tubes from lord valve. after reading your experience with the ones you just got, i'm thinking about doing the same thing. i play rock (mostly), but i want to get tubes that won't distort too much. i'd like a clean tone. i play alot of stuff with chords and would like to have a smooth, balanced, clean tone, that's real "warm", and "thick". what do you think: sovtek 12ax7lps, or some other combination?

2. All I can say is I'm very happy with the Chinese 12AX7/JAN5814 setup he sold me. His prices are reasonable and he's a fast shipper.

Tone is subjective, thetaurus. I think you'll be happy, though. Lord Valve knows what he's doing - call him and he'll help you pick the right tubes.

3. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    LORD LORD, LORD, sure been good to me. I've purchased a QSC amp, an RNC compressor, and 5-6 tubes. He gives good advise without pressing his opinion too much.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i dunno how many preamp tubes most SVT's take, but try a mixed set of tubes, and not just one kind.

i think a nice combo of JAN GE 12AX7's for that warmer than warm, deep tone, but mixed with a few Electro Harmonix 12AX7's for a nice sizzly woolly fuzz feel on the overdriven tones. or instead of the EH, try some 5751's for a little less gain, and big dallop of steely high end.

if you experiment also with which slot you place the particular tubes, you might get some choice tones that would sound even better.

i've had good experiences with www.tubestore.com, but some havent so it can be a crap shoot. Lord Valve is great, but Mike at KCA NOS Tubes is my man for hard to find stuff.

good luck!