Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

allan's new toy!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by allan grossman, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Well, I retired the Peavey DPC1000 and replaced it with a QSC RMX2450.

My back wasn't happy with the swap but my ears sure are :)

Here's a pic of the rack. The open space is for a Behringer MDX2200 that's coming in tomorrow. The gorilla is the best drummer I ever worked with.

[​IMG]

2. Nice Al, congrats
    Is the QSC as good or better than the PXL seriers?
    Is it quieter?

3. Blux

Blux

Feb 5, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    How well to the gigs with the animal pay?

Nice stuff.

4. RMX is the low-price line, Big Sting.

The PLX has better specs and is half the weight - but IMO the difference between the two amps is probably inaudible.

Blux, the animal works for peanuts.

So do I sometimes :D

5. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Does it fit in the SKB ok?

6. YEH WELL, i'm not jealous me and my 25 year old, 50 watt vox are happy except it keeps cutting out........congrat's allan i love the gorilla:D

7. Congrats on the amp. I bet you will like the sound of the RMX just fine.

Gorilla... maybe.

Link to Godzilla

Godzilla was my old lead sled:

MX-3000a (69 pounds)
    2RU steel drawer (20+ pounds)
    SWR IOD (10 pounds)
    Rane MX22 (8 pounds)
    Rane GE30 (11 pounds)
    Rane RA27 (11 pounds)
    Rack, 3/4" plywood + handles (20+ pounds)

It required two people to move or load it.

Yuck.

:D

The MX amp was replaced by a 21 pound PLX, the drawer removed, also removed the RA27 analyzer. The rack still exists, but is in process of being replaced by a pair of smaller racks that are easier to move by myself.

8. fast slapper said...

Does it fit in the SKB ok?

Actually that's a Gator rack. I had to buy a new one and MF doesn't sell SKB racks that size any more.

I like it a little better than the SKB I have - the Gator has threaded front and rear rails (no @#$% cage nuts) and a key lock. They even threw in keys :D

Price was right, too.

9. Allan, please do yourself a favor and order the rear rack ears for your QSC amp from the factory. Not only will the front rack ears warp because the unit is unsupported from the rear, but it will twist your front extrusion on the Gator case out of line. It's only $20-something dollars, and it will truly secure that amp in the case. I bought them for my RMX-850, and they made a world of difference. I have it mounted in a Gator 6-space roller rack. Now THAT is almost perfect.

10. Cool gear allan!

Makes me feel even better about my SVP-pro now :D Plus the fact that I'll prolly replace my carvin FET900 w/ a RMX 2450. And I already have the PL-Plus Furman :) Good choice [​IMG]

All the cool guys use some sorta ampeg gear lol

11. Ronzo said...

Allan, please do yourself a favor and order the rear rack ears for your QSC amp from the factory. Not only will the front rack ears warp because the unit is unsupported from the rear, but it will twist your front extrusion on the Gator case out of line. It's only $20-something dollars, and it will truly secure that amp in the case. I bought them for my RMX-850, and they made a world of difference. I have it mounted in a Gator 6-space roller rack. Now THAT is almost perfect.

Hi, Ronzo -

I did order the rack ears from QSC - but I haven't received them yet.

I do geek stuff for a living and have seen lotsa faceplates bent from people trying to cut corners. I think I should have the rack ears today or Monday - if QSC ships as fast as MF does.

Thanks for the heads-up, though. I appreciate folks looking out for me :)

12. tufnuts said...

Cool gear allan!

Makes me feel even better about my SVP-pro now :D Plus the fact that I'll prolly replace my carvin FET900 w/ a RMX 2450. And I already have the PL-Plus Furman :) Good choice [​IMG]

All the cool guys use some sorta ampeg gear lol

Yeah we do :)

I'm impressed with the amp, tufnuts. I was pretty happy with the 1000w Peavey amp - but this QSC looks like it might be the last power amp for awhile.

13. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    nerd.

14. (your sister's voice ON)
    "I never knew you nerds were this GOOD before!"
    (your sister's voice OFF)

15. mikgag, what the hell are you doing over here?

I didn't know they knew about TB over in Canadia.

If you'll be good and head back over to HC I'll buy you a new thermos and some nice rubber underwear.

And don't annoy the Talkbassers on the way out.

16. Where is my whip!!!??
    Get your a** back!

17. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Ooooh - she's got a whip:eek:

18. Johnny, darling, what are ya doing? :eek: :D

19. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Nice Rack Allan!:cool:

20. Thanks, Funkster -

I'm gonna get the Behringer today just before I go out of town for the weekend :(

Oh, well. I can play with it next week.