1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Allen screws on my bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mike151, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Mike151

Mike151

Dec 22, 2008
    Sherman Texas
    I am having to constantly re-adjust my allen screws on two of my strings because they work their way down and my strings drop. Is there any simple solution that will keep these screws from turning?
    I'm thinking maybe something applied to the threads that will resist them turning but will still allow for adjustment when desired. It is a Fender P bass with the stock bridge.
    :help:

2. rb1

rb1

Sep 15, 2008
    Iowa
    You might try a tiny bit of PTFE ("teflon") tape. Or, you could try a tiny bit of tread lock. But DO NOT use the "permanent" thread lock or you won't ever be able adjust them.

3. I have owned my '69P since 1971 and had the same problem with my stock bridge. I finally replaced the original screws with beefier slot heads and they have held for 30 years.

4. Blue threadlock. Not the red stuff, you'll never get them loose, but the blue can be found at Walmart in the automotive section.

5. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Even easier: elmers glue. Breaks loose when you want it to. Essential on a Schaller roller bridge.

Oh...and read the thread title again...I'm just sayin'...:bag:

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've been using a small drop of Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails clear nailpolish to lock saddle screws for it seems like forever. It holds the screws yet breaks free when necessary.

7. +1 to the clear nail polish. It's also good for stopping chips and such.

H

8. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Common problem. "Blue" loctite or clear nail polish and you're good 2 go. ;)

9. I used to keep a miniature screwdriver sitting on my amp so I could jack things back up when the fretbuzz got too bad. I eventually fitted a Badass - that definitely stayed put !!.

10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

This question has been asked 1,000 times at least. Blue Loctite or clear nail polish.

11. Mike151

Mike151

Dec 22, 2008
    Sherman Texas
    :hyper: Thanks everyone. Problem solved!