Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Allen Woody Epiphone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mongeaux, May 5, 2004.

1. Mongeaux

Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    I was surfing the net looking at basses when I came across the Allen Woody short scale Epiphone.

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=150&CollectionID=12

I saw it and was like...wow what a cool looking bass. So I went to Harmony Central and looked for reviews. They had four reviews and all were good. The reviewers all said that this bass kicks butt for blues, jazz and country stuff. Not a lot of high end but tons mids n bottom sez the reviewers.

Have anyone here played one of these? How do they feel and sound to joo? The only thing I am not sure about is the tail piece. I can't tell from the pics if the string height is adjustable for each string or what.

I know some of you guys will poo poo any short scale bass but years ago I played an old fender mustang that a guy had put a P-pup into and it sounded great. Had a nice fat tone and was super easy to play. Ever since I have had the urge to add a short scale to my collection.

They only cost $479 from MF. I'm tempted to order one just to try it out. My local stores never seem to carry anything I'm interested in :rolleyes:

2. viper jazz

viper jazz Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    I'm quite interested in one of these, as well. Anyone played one?

3. Never tried one, but they look super-cool. I'd love to try one! :D

4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    A couple of the guys on the Fender Forum have played them and they seem quite happy with them. You may want to investigate there.

Dan

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I think these and the Jack Casady basses are on the higher end of the basses epiphone is putting out today. All the reviews i have read have been good too.

6. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
  7. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    The Woody bass is great IMHO. Played one at GC and loved it. I should have bought it then and there but momma had a
    tight lock on the purse strings that month.... :bawl:
    It aint crisp and clean but by god it handles the bottom end with some serious thump. Allen Woody happens to be a real hero of mine so I am of course a tad biased. :bassist:
    Damn that Whippin post anyway....

8. Mongeaux

Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    Wow, everybody seems to like this bass. How does the E string sound? On most short scale basses the E seems weak so they put a giant E string on to try and compensate.

O, and you guys that bought one. Is each string saddle adjustable for height? I can't tell from the pic. I was wondering if it is a tune-o-matic type bridge or if each string is adjusted separately.

9. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    .....thats what i thought the thread said, sadly disapointed i am now. i would have boughten any bass on the spot if it has a picture painted of woody allen on the top :smug:

10. Mongeaux

Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    Rofl a Woody Allen bass. Yea, now that I would have to own.

11. MAJOR METAL

Is the bass completly hollow or just chambered?.

12. Mongeaux

Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    Its a chambered body.

13. MAJOR METAL

Thank you

14. Have they been in your local music stores, or have they been special ordered. A new store opened up in my neck of the woods and I'm hoping they get one in. They are a Gibson dealer, and obviusly have lots of Epiphones. I'm hoping they'll get one in. Allen Woody was (and still is) a prodigy. The Mule is one of my all-time favorite bands.

So flat wounds are the way to go on a bass such as this? :)

15. Mongeaux

Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    I will be putting on a set of TI Flats when I get mine. Yes, I have decided to order one. The TI short scale has a big ol' 107 on the low E! I'm used to a 100 on my E. From what I have read its normal for short scale sets to have a larger E string as the short scale can make the E sound less powerful than the other strings. At least thats what I have read.

16. victobass

victobass

Nov 27, 2003
    Florida,USA
    I used the Chromes 45-100 set on my Woody and they sound great. Nice tight tension. The bass didn't sound right to me with the rounds that it came with.