Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

allen woody r.i.p.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by john turner, Aug 28, 2000.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    allen woody, bassist for gov't mule, and former/occasional bassist for the allman bros. was found dead in his apartment. no other news has yet been released.

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I heard about this yesterday. Woody was a solid bass player and a super guy....and only 44. No word yet on the cause of his death.....but he sure will be missed by everyone who was fortunate to know him...and hear him play.

3. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Here is the story from the Reuters newswire with more detail. Rick Danko, Bobby Sheehan and now Allen Woody -- the last 12 months have been rough.

Ex-Allman Brothers Band Bassist Allen Woody Dies

Last updated: 28 Aug 2000 14:02 GMT (Reuters)
    NEW YORK (Reuters) - Douglas Allen Woody, a former
    bassist of the Southern rock group Allman Brothers
    Band, was found dead on Saturday by a chambermaid
    in a Queens motel, a New York City police
    spokeswoman said on Monday. Woody was 44.

Allen Woody, as he was known, joined the Allman
    Brothers Band in 1989 when the group re-formed after
    a break of seven years. Before Woody joined the
    band, it had lost three members, including two
    bassists and co-founder Duane Allman, who was killed
    in a motorcycle accident in 1971.

The cause of Woody's death was not immediately
    known, police spokeswoman Detective Madelyne
    Galindo said.

"He was found by a chambermaid in the room at
    10:30 a.m. Saturday," Galindo said. "There were no
    visible signs of trauma and the medical examiner is
    investigating the cause of death."

The revived Allman Brothers Band enjoyed some years
    of commercial and critical success. In 1997, Woody
    and two other band members, slide guitarist Warren
    Haynes and drummer Matt Abts, left to play with their
    previously formed trio called Gov't Mule.

They recorded five albums and they were scheduled
    to begin a tour Sept. 2.

Woody, of Nashville, Tennessee, is survived by his
    wife, Jenny, and a daughter, Savannah.

###

4. Neobass

Neobass

Aug 12, 2000
    I was at the Allman Brothers show Saturday in Chicago, and about mid-set they announced it through the PA. Everyone, Gregg especially, was noticably upset. They dedicated the show to him (of course), and everyone left the stage except Oteil, who got out his 6 string Modulus and played an awe-inspiring solo. I trust Allen was right behind him helping him out.

A side note about the current Allman Bros. line up- if you're at all a fan of rock/blues/jambands, go see them now. With Jimmy Herring and Derek Trucks working the guitars, and Oteil on bass, they're simply amazing. I talked to a few much older Allman fans, and most everyone agreed that the Allman Brothers are at a Zenith right now. It was really sad to see the World Music Theatre at about half capacity.

5. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Allen was a great player and had one of the biggest bass collections i have ever seen and will truley be missed by all he touched with his music.
    R.I.P Woody :(

6. As an "old school" Allman Bros fan I will definrtely go see them next time they are in town. Thanks for the headsup Neobass.

7. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Poor fella. First time I saw the Allmans was in '89 with Allen Woody on bass--he was a total badass--powerful grooves, impressive solos and all those crazy basses--the 18 string Modulus comes to mind. I hope he's rockin' on in a better place...

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Woody will be greatly missed by music fans in general, not just bassists. A more musical bassist would be hard to find. Rest in peace, bro.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Wow, I'm shocked! RIP, man.

BTW-Other Allman Bros. bassists...
    1)Berry Oakley died(motorcycle crash)
    2)Lamar Williams died(Agent Orange)
    3)Allen Woody

That band has had some rough luck...

10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

This is such shocking news. I have an instruction video of Woody's. He does some amazing stuff on that video. I bought it when I was first starting out on the bass and found the video too advanced for me, but I think I'll dig it out again and watch it in Woody's honor. I wonder if Government Mule will go on and find another bassist or if this means the end of the band. At any rate, I pray for his family and wish for them the strength to face this very sad and difficult time.

JAson Oldsted

11. I just saw Gov't Mule live 2 months ago, in fact they all signed my life before insanity cd. I wonder how he died, thats a shame......

12. ka-tet

ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    I met Woody and spoke with him on several occasions and he was truly a nice sincere person. His style and choice of notes and grooves were all his own. My style doesn't reflect his in anyway but i nonetheless was a big fan. I hope the Mule ends because it can not be the same without him. It won't be the Mule without him. I'm also a big fan of Warren Haynes and I know that he will go on but hopefully not under the Mule name.

13. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Am I the only one who thinks it's strange that nothing on Allen's death appears anywhere else on this site? I would think that there would be some type of story posted on the news page. And yet four days later there's still no mention. I realize that the news page is somewhat dedicated to new products, album releases, and the like. But it seems appropriate that some mention of something as important as a signature bassplayer's death warrants some mention there (and perhaps even on the splash page). Any other opinions?

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think with all the shennanigans that have been going on in the forum, i think that paul has probably been a bit busy.

15. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Who cares that he was a solid bass player!
    Who cares that he played with the Allman Bros.!

This is what really matters. This is what is the saddest part. You can leave your bass behind and the bass won't care. But to leave your family behind is the tragic part.

16. ka-tet

ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    I agree with you 100%. It is tragic that he left behind a family. No piece of wood with strings means anything compared to a wife and kid.

17. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    You're both right, of course. The loss to his wife and child is devastating beyond imagination, and anything else pales in comparsion. However, in addition to being a father and husband, he was also a dedicated, talented musician and teacher, whose work touched thousands if not millions of people. While our loss is nowhere near as great as that of his family, it does count for something. And it's okay for us to miss him, to feel sorrow at his untimely death, and to sympathize and pray for his family.

18. Scottzo

Scottzo

Jan 20, 2000
  19. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    <center><b><i><big>Rest In Peace</big></i></b>

<center> [​IMG] </center>