1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Allen Woody-style Overdrive?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 3toes, Feb 29, 2008.

1. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a pedal that could give me the type of overdrive that Allen Woody typically got in his days in Gov't Mule. I know he's usually just playing through an actual overdriven Ampeg or Orange rig for that sound, but is there a pedal out there that could get close? An English Muff'n perhaps?

2. While there's really no substitute for the cranked up SVT/Humbuckers/Allan's fingers, I can get real close with an Aguilar AGRO in front of my very clean Thunderfunk TFB550A.

Low budget approach with the Bad Monkey or the Humphrey Badder Bass Monkey is similar.

3. Cranked tube amp or a pedal that models one.

4. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I would say the English Muff'n would fit the bill nicely. It's a cool pedal. I've actually got one on eBay right now.

5. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I'm just always worried about the loss of lowend when engaging an overdrive pedal...

6. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I actually had to have the bass knob below noon on the English Muff'n to have the same amount of low end with my overdriven signal as I've got with my clean signal. The English Muff'n can give you just as much or way more bottom than you're clean signal if that's what you want. It's extremely transparent too. No need to worry about low end loss with that pedal, it's better on bass than a lot of dedicated bass pedals I've used.

7. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    a big part of the sound there is the Gibson basses he used to play..... the EB-series, like the EB-3L he had there, and to a lesser extend the thunderbirds, all have a really big low/low mid signature.... Jack Bruce and Felix Pappelardi, two of Woody's heroes, did much the same thing-- Gibbo through a dimed-out tube amp.

Woody f'n rocked:(

8. Rob L

Rob L Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Chilly ND
    I have been into Gov't Mule since their debut album "Gov't Mule". Allen frickin' rocked. He is amazing to me and I love digging back into the Allmans recordings that he played on.

A killer thick tone and cool bass lines! I love power trios. Gibsons and his fingers are what made his tone happen. :bassist:

9. The first time that I saw Gov't Mule live, I stood in front of Woody the entire show. Amazing! I did notice that he was using a ProCo Rat distortion pedal. But 'his' sound was a combination of a Gibson EB, a vintage Ampeg stack, and his playing ability. I briefly owned a vintage EB-0 which I played through my Ampeg SVT stack, and wow! That was as close as I could ever get to his exact tone...

10. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I just ordered a Gibson SG bass the other day. I can't wait to try it out.

11. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    As I recall he also did some pickup swap mods.