Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Allen Woody vs Fender Mustang Short Scale

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rodger pinkley, Feb 28, 2003.

1. rodger pinkley

rodger pinkley Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    I am looking for a short scale bass. Any suggestions which is better. They cost about the same. Thanks for your opinions.

2. DrPFunk

DrPFunk

Nov 17, 2002
    I have the "Woody" and just love it!!! I have basically stopped using my Fender for the moment. It is a very good buy for the price!!!

3. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    How about a review of that Woody sig.?:D

4. DrPFunk

DrPFunk

Nov 17, 2002
    This probably sounds stupid, but since I have never written a review of a bass before, what should I include? In other words what would be helpful for you to know, besides me going on about how much I love it. I'll do my best once I get some advice. Many thanks!!!

5. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    How about things like: Fit of components, Finish, Action, feel of neck, Tone--flexabilty of sound, comfort, looks; why you bought it, general likes/dislikes--what do your friends say?

6. natasmi

natasmi

Apr 30, 2002
    I like them both, but I just can't get past my hatred of gold hardware, so if I can scrape up $500 bucks I'll get the white mustang. I like short scales and have a couple.

7. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Tell the world about that Woody! Please!:D

8. DrPFunk

DrPFunk

Nov 17, 2002
    The "Woody" is a very well built instrument and a steal for the price (I only paid $389 new from an area music dealer). I love the "classic" Wildcat look and the Red Wine Finish is gorgeous. Mine has no flaws and is really nice. It is soundly constructed, no cheap solutions here. I put D'Addario Chromes on it and the action is superb. The neck is, as you know, a 30' scale and I have no problems getting around on it. It is a very comfortable guitar to play and feels just great. It has a very warm tone when not plugged in. I like to feel the "tones" coming through the body on the instrument. Plugged in I get a variety of tone colors. I play with a pick, mostly blues and rock, so I really like the sound. It can really "rumble" if you want it too, or can play very sweetly. I think it has a lot of variety. Though not for everyone. If you are looking for a short-scale bass for a good price, I do not think you can do better than the "Woody." Allen would be very proud that his name is on this guitar. Epiphone did him proud. I base this on past Epiphones that I have owned. This is an outstanding instrument of exceptional value. I really do not have anything bad to say about the guitar. I have had it since mid-December and I rarely use my other basses now.

Well that is my attempt at a review. I hope I answered your questions. If not, let me know.

How about things like: Fit of components, Finish, Action, feel of neck, Tone--flexabilty of sound, comfort, looks; why you bought it, general likes/dislikes--what do your friends say?

9. magic8161

magic8161 Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    were did you find one so cheep? i just paid 479 at MF.now iam mad i could have paid less.

10. DrPFunk

DrPFunk

Nov 17, 2002
    E. M. Shorts Guitars in Wichita, Kansas. They advertise in Bass Player. Case was another $69 (I think). Sorry about that. I shopped around quite a bit before I bought mine.

11. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    thanks for the review! Now I want one even more!!:D

12. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Thanks for the review,

I have one question,

What is the color of the sides and back? The pictures on Epiphones web look like it's white or cream colored.

Thanks

Siggy

13. DrPFunk

DrPFunk

Nov 17, 2002
    Back and sides are red wine like the front. The edge of the front and back are cream.

14. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Thanks for the color information.

Another question. I know that it's called an arch top. It the front actually arched like a 335 or is it flat?

I guess it's moot because I ordered one from E.M.Shorts last Monday. I hope I don't have to wait too long.

The prices have gone up from last year. $412 for the Woody, $73 for the hardshell case and $25 for shipping. I'm also having them put a set of D'Addario Chromes on her for $28 so the bottom line is $538.

Thanks again for the information. I really didn't want a white backed guitar.

Siggy

15. DrPFunk

DrPFunk

Nov 17, 2002
    It is an archtop, but not as pronounced as a 335. I think you will be happy with the guitar and glad you got in touch with EM Shorts. I have no connection with them, but was very happy with the service they provided me. Let me know what you think about the "Woody."

16. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Thanks for the quick reply Doctor,

I used to play an EB-0 in the sixty's but got drawn away from bass until a couple or years ago. I've been playing a big hulkin' 5 string and started having arthritis issues in my left hand. A little while ago I had the chance to play a vintage EB-0. I had forgotten what a pleasure a short scale bass was to play. I only have an 8" span.

So I started investigating short scales and think the Allen Woody is a perfect fit. I'm also keeping my eye out for a 60's EB-0 for nostalgia purposes but the Woody will be my main bass.

Now comes the worse part, waiting.

Thanks again for your help, especially for the tip on E.M.Shorts. I found Nathan to be a real help. I would just as soon send my money to a shop with friendly,knowledgable people that are willing to return your phone calls to answer your questions then to megalo-mail-order outfit with robots answering their phones.

Siggy

17. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I like shorties for arthritic days, too. I recently picked up a DeArmond JetStar, and it's working out well. Kind of a Jazz vibe, but different.

They can be had for cheap - VH1 "Save the Music" has them on eBay brand new for $200. It's a quality bass, too - very nice construction and a set neck. If you look for one, be careful - they also made a less expensive JetStar Special, which was 34" scale and bolt neck.

If you can tolerate the distinctive body shape, they're a real deal!

18. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    post a review after you get it--i'd love to try one, but can't find one anywhere

19. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    I'll be glad to write a review of the Allen Woody when I get it. I will say that there has been an excellent review already written by DrPFunk right here.

Now the wait. I called about my order and according to Gibson there will be at least a 2 month wait. Boo. I thought there may be a wait because I saw that MF has been pushing back there receipt date and another mail order store had a due date of mid July. I guess my Army training will be of value here... Hurry up and Wait!

8 weeks and counting.

Siggy