Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Allen Woody

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by page, Jan 1, 2005.

1. So what do you guys think of the Allen Woody Epiphone signature bass? I need a new bass , I only have about 500$ to spend, and im seriously considering this one. I played one and it sounded good to me. But Epiphone does have a bad reputation so I dont know if its a good choice. Help me out here. Thanks a million.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I read somewhere on TB that someone had a problem with the antiquated 3-point Gibson style bridge seperating itself from the body during a string change or something. This could be fixed easily by replacing that bridge with a Badass 1.

Other than that he said there were no major construction flaws. The one I played in Arkansas had a cool vintage tone and seemed pretty good for the money.

Good luck with your decision
    Adam

3. RollingMonkey

RollingMonkey

Nov 11, 2004
    I take it you're talking about the Rumblekat. If that's the case, I can't say I've ever played one, but Guitar World's Bass Guitar magazine did say it was a very decent bass, although I think it's a smaller scale bass, something like 30 inches as opposed to the standard 34 inches. I was quite surprised by that...

4. There's a used one @ the local Guitar Center in my area for about 399.00 and If I had the money I'd grab it. Played it and liked it alot, The short scale was nice. Epiphone does make some great basses. I had a Les Paul bass and now I have a Thunderbird which I love alot.

5. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I bought a Woody sig. last spring and I feel the materials and workmanship are very good. It's a fun bass and has a gorgeous red finish.

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The Epiphone Jack Casady is a great bass worth checking out.

7. I read in a Guitar buyers guide That the Rumblekat is a limited edition. I don't know how long that means but it might go the the way of the rumblefish

8. I see them on Ebay fairly frequently. Like I said, I'd buy one. I'm a big Epiphone fan and they do make good quality instruments.

9. What is the difference in shorter scales, other than length? Does shortness affect the sound in any way?

10. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Now that is a great bass for the $$. Nice deep tone and nice scale length.