Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Allen Woody?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by TravellinMan, Jan 20, 2003.

1. TravellinMan

TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    Allen Woody from ABB/Gov't Mule! Just discovered him and he is a great bass player, How Did he die just curious?

2. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Woody is awesome! Love that fuzzy short-scale gibson tone--played the bass in the mule like a second lead guitar!

I've never heard or seen a full explanation of woody's death but in the dvd "rising low" both gregg allman and jack cassady basically say it was drug related, but don't say from what or how specifically--just that he died alone away from home in a hotel

3. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    From what I know, the autopsy was inconclusive and no cause was ever publicly released. Woody was and still is by far my favorite bass player.

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    he opened my eyes about using a pick

although i don't use a pick, he made me want to learn

he has a great groove

so sad...

5. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I tried a pick a little bit too--couldn't get the hang of it; Woody did inspire me to try a short scale bass though!

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    while it's sad to see him gone. It is hard to feel sorry for any bassist who get's to work with Matt Abts. Jeeze, whatta drummer. You would of course also have to stand in another county given Warren's Soldano ... and the apparent volume he plays at ... The Mule is one of my fav's. If you dig them you should check out Big Sugar. I learned about them from a Gov't Mule interview somewhere and their two albums are pretty interesting in sort of the same vein as the Mule but more raw. Well worth a listen.

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    just to say that i love the way he played!

8. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I was listening this weekend to Gov't Mule "Live at Roseland Ballroom" and was completely blown away anew by Woody on "don't step on the grass, sam" and "Kind of Bird"---give these a spin and comment, please!

9. fclefgeoff

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I love that album!! I believe it is out of print and somewhat difficult to find now but if you are a fan of the MULE it is definitely worth hunting down or PM me and I might be willing to B&P it for you. I also have a several quality MULE shows if anyone here likes to trade.

10. i also am a big a. woody fan..love his tone, his lines and want to get one of those epiphone signature basses..don't have any shows to trade, but would love to work something out if you're into it..

11. fclefgeoff

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Check your PM

12. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    What's your experience been with these recordings? I've gotten several that the sound quality was quite mediocre. Then I got one from a Park West Show in Chicago, just before Dose was released and it sounded like it came right off the board--real good quality--are you aware of any others like that one?:cool:

13. fclefgeoff

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Well, quality always differs. I have some audience recordings as well as some soundboards. The soundboard recordings are generally harder to come by because while many bands allow fans to tape in the audience, not many allow you to actually take a feed from the board. I own and have heard MANY high quality audience recordings, for example I just traded for a Derek Trucks Band show from November 2002 that sounds PHENOMENAL. It all comes down to the type of equipment used to record, the house mix & acoustics, and the position of the mics. In this particular instance, the taper used High Quality Mics & a High Quality Mic Pre-Amp and it made all of the difference in the world. I have come across a few shows where it sounds like it was recorded with a mini tape recorder. As you can imagine, the audio wasn't very impressive. Most people who trade will generally indicate the quality of the show on their list and sometimes even tell you what equipment was used to record it.

Of course, there is always that certain show where the band's chemistry is high or maybe the show has special meaning to you (i.e, you were there) and then you don't mind that the audio is a bit sub standard.

BTW, I think I have that Park West show you're talking about. ;)