1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Allen Wrench

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by karatewolf, Apr 13, 2009.

  1. karatewolf


    Apr 13, 2009
    What size allen wrench do I need for adjusting the truss rod?
  2. kevinmoore73

    kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

    Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    What kind of bass?
  3. karatewolf


    Apr 13, 2009
    It's a Fender P-Bass.
  4. manutabora


    Aug 14, 2007
    Iowa City, IA
    You may just need to get a set of them and try a bunch until you find the right one.
  5. JTE

    JTE Supporting Member

    Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    It depends on where and possibly when it was made. The '80s MIJ ones use a 5mm one, but the US "bullet nut" used on Jazzes and Telecaster basses in the '70s used a similar but not the same sized SAE wrench.

    Smartest way to find out is to buy yourself a set of good ones in both metric and SAE sizes, and try them until you find the right size. They're useful for a lot of stuff so I've never regretted buying any allen keys. Quick way might be to go to FMIC's "Mr. Gearhead" and find the stuff for your particular bass.


Share This Page