1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Alleva Copolla LG5 Classic

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Chef, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Just got this today; just got laid off today:(
    Much as I've lusted after this, and would love to keep it, clearly the timing bites it.

LG5 Classic, finished in Inca Silver nitro with matching headstock; gloss nitro finished neck as well. Lightweight old growth alder body, indian rosewood board. Alleva pickups, Alleva preamp with v/v/passive tone controls, and, treble and bass active boost.

Fit and finish are first rate as one would expect from an Alleva.
    Playability and tone are superlative. Great old school J tones, very clear and crisp top end with the passive tone wide open; nicely vintage tones to be had by rolling it shut to degrees. Plays like butter, is resonant and alive unplugged, and just kills amplified.
    The Active treble and bass boost obviously add to tone shaping capabilities, and don't ever really sound harsh, boomy, or false as some preamps can.

It does have one small scratch thru the finish on the back near the control cavity. While you can't see it in the wide shots below, it is there. I'll post of pic of that later as well.

It came to me via user TheButler.
    Here's The Butler's thread:
    http://talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=538137&highlight=alleva

here's his pics; I'll post better wehn the sun comes out here:
    CIMG7544.
    CIMG7543.
    CIMG7545.

This bass would cost ~$4500 to order new, and would come with a 6 month wait time.
    LG5 comes with the original Alleva gig bag;
    $2800+shipping; payment via paypal e-check or money order only, please and thx

2. best of luck on the job front. Bump for a mighty fine bass

3. Dr Funk

Dr Funk "If you ain't appearing then you be disappearing" Supporting Member

Sorry to hear about your job tanking!
    More time to play bass! :bassist:

4. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    BUMP - a great A-C will come back your way eventually

5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Bump for a great deal from an absolute standup guy.

6. ovialexm

ovialexm

Jun 5, 2006
    This is a killer bass :)

7. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Nice bass for sure. If money were no object, I'd snatch this thing up in a hurry.

8. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    sold with thanks to mixbass with payment pending.

thanks all...circumstance requires a lot of other stuff be moved as well...

9. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I almost hate to say this, but congrats on the quick flip. I know that'll do a lot to ease some concerns, which is a good thing.

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Aw Chef! I was just going to congratulate you on getting such a cool bass!:( I sure hope you get your old job or another job soon. I also hope you can make some nice gig money too.:cool:

11. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    Thanks Chef. I was looking at this and when you snagged it was relieved I didn't have to.
    But it came back to haunt me. I'm glad it helps you move it on and if I can't do 19mm 5er, you have first dibbs should you want it back. I guess I'm going to have to read all the string comments now.

12. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Not sure what's on there, you could ask TheButler...they're rounds with black windings at the tuner, and sounded really nice to me.

13. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    One suggestion I have is DR HiBeams. Yeah, initially they'll be a bit too bright, but just back off the PTC until they calm down. What's cool about them is, after that initial crisp phase is over, they settle into almost a "new nickel" sound, and that phase lasts a LOOONG time (unless you're particularly hard on strings). Plus the slinky round core feel is nice on these basses. Otherwise, if you want something a bit stiffer, the hex core LoRiders SS would also be a great choice. The strings on my new LG are (still) Jimmy's SS's and they're nice enough I'm gonna' leave them on until they wear out, but I'll be putting HB's on there afterwards. FWIW, anyway. :)

Oh, and BTW, you got a super deal on this bass. I hope the spacing ends up being ok for you, because it'll never disappoint from a tone/playability standpoint.

14. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    Thanks Vic! I love a more slinky string, that's why I dig TI's on my P. I'll give those a try once it's due for a set. I know it's a great opportunity to get into an AC, I've been lusting after one since the first time I played them at NAMM. I'll be posting my thoughts once I get it in my hands a bit.

15. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Congrats on a beautiful bass at a fantastic price. I'm glad that worked out for both you and Chef.

+1 to Vic's comments about the Hi Beams. The A-C basses LOVE the Hi Beams. They sound particularly good on the more aggressive LM models to me.

I have DR Lo Rider Nickels on my LG at the moment (identical spec as yours), and I'm really digging that also. The nickels seems to be more in line with what the LG's are about (that smoother, fatter, warmer 60's sort of vibe versus the grind of the LM's). However, I have a clip up on I believe the second page of the most recent Alleva thread of the LG with new Hi Beams, and it sounds darn good to me also. The cool thing about the Lo Rider Nickels is that they move that treble response down a bit in frequency, which seems to fit the inherent tone of the alder/RW and pickup position a bit better (i.e., more growl than 'click').

And, give that standard 19mm spacing a chance. It's hard for many of us to play anything else once you get used to the somewhat wide feel!

16. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    The neck felt great to me.
    Very Lakland 5502, but a little rounder on top.
    Easy to play.

I'm a freak though, often moving from DB to 5 string to 4 string in the same set...;)

17. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    Thanks y'all. I just checked out the clips KJung. Good work and thanks for the nod. Both sound great! One of the things I loved about the AC's when I played them was how even they sound throughout the neck and string to string. Your clips also show that. The B string sounds like it belongs with the others. I'll be trying both sets of strings I suppose.
    Chef, I remember seeing Pattittuci a LONG time ago, going from the UBS to a 4 to a 6 to a 5 back to UBS etc. etc., all night long, and going olympic on every one of them.
    Thanks again.