1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alleva-Coppolo Basses/ Old versus New

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassconbeatz, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    I hope that I don't sound like I'm bashing AC's. I consider lucky to have owned one at one point, but I see that the popularity has exploded in the last two years so as the pricing.

Here's a picture of the one I owned about four years ago. As I recall, it may have been one of his earlier creations due to some lack luster quality issues. This included the circuit board not being secured in the control cavity, and also the tuning keys had the tendency of hitting each other when they're at a certain angle. All were very minor.
    I have not tried any of the newer basses, but I'm sure he has addressef all of these issues. Probably the main reason I sold it is that the pre-amp at the time did not have a passive tone mode. It's a definite feature that all Jazz style basses should have when having an active pre-amp. With the increased popularity and of course price, what improvements do these basses have compared to the older ones?

By the way, I'm gassing for one and I just wanted to know. :)

1596988[/ATTACH]"] 7131.

Attached Files:

2. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Like Pre CBS Fender Vs Post:D:bag:

3. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Well, I STILL love it and am glad you sold it to me! I also bought a KPB-5 and those two basses get WAY more playing than the rest. Anyway, the LG works for me!

Dan K.

4. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Hey Dan,

How you doin buddy? I'm glad to hear you're still enjoying it. Is your KPB-5 built in the new SoCal shop? Any differences you can tell? By the way, I'm still hurting on the Bolt's last season. Gotta go.

Roy

5. There are 5 or 6 thousand posts or so talking about these basses if you do a search:D

To answer your question... his basses all have passive tone controls standard at this point, along with a preamp bypass switch for his active models (push/pull on the bridge pickup volume control). The passive tone of these basses is magnificent IMO.

6. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    Hey Roy,
    I'm relatively new to A-C's so I can't comment on the old ones... The 2 issues you noted aren't a big deal, as you said so yourself, those are easy fixes.

The new oval/lollipop tuners do not touch each other in any position - unless you're Paul Turner and use the full size 4-string tuners on a 5.

As KJung noted, all basses have the passive tone control and push/pull to passive mode.

The best thing to do is call Jimmy and head to the shop and play some basses.

Let me know and I'll meet you there!