Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emjazz, Nov 7, 2005.

1. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I know there are some NYC folks on these boards. Anyone get to play an Alleva-Coppolo bass yet? I've heard that they are incredible playing and sounding basses.
  2. jpbass5

jpbass5 Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2004
    Newport, Rhode Island
    I am very familiar with Alleva -Coppolo basses. As a matter of fact, I was recently at the shop in NYC and Jimmy Coppolo himself assisted me with hand picking the body (old growth forest, air dried alder), neck (old growth straight grain maple) and fingerboard (really old Brazilian rosewood) woods for my new 5 string. Jimmy is truly a master at creating incredible basses (and guitars). I believe he is truly on to something special. The neck profile on the five string is the most comfortable that I've played.

And the tone- inspiring. The AC basses deliver the sound I hear in my head.

Jimmy's fret work is second to none. His electronics package is his own design and he winds his own pickups.

I've said many times, if you're going to New York City, you HAVE to check out the Alleva-Coppolo basses.
  3. jazzmann23

jazzmann23 Guest

Sep 11, 2002
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I played one at Brian Barret's shop and it was great. It was the MM5 model. I'm not much of a Jazz Bass guys but it played awesome. The neck was to die for!! Man I wish Brian had the P-Bass in, I would love to have tried it. The pre-amp was good and the construction was top-notch, overall a great bass.
  4. MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I'm sure these are amazing basses, but that headstock looks so damn generic. Why can't these Faux Fender craftspeople spend more than 10 minutes designing the damn headstock? It's not as if they spent any time designing the body or the layout.

Sorry, I'm not always bitching, but as a designer myself, it's so clear that little or no design thought went into some of this boutique stuff. Does anyone think that Fenders turned into the standard of the world without great, practical and thoughtful design?
  5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yup, I agree. That headstock is butt ugly.
  6. RoVaughn

Oct 8, 2005
    Ive played alot of those basses (hanging out at Rudy's) I would say that they are on par with Sadowsky's basses. Great Quality Great Craftmanship GREAT sound.
  7. brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    I played both one of his jazz basses and a p bass he built for the guy from duran duran. I agree, they're on par with Sadowsky.

I personally find Sadowsky more attractive, but that said if I am looking for a new Fender style bass these basses sound and feel just as good.

Sadowsky, Mike Lull, Pensa, Avella Copallo....i would have no problems with any of them!
  8. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    great bass that follows in the ol' NYC jazzbass tradition...

but the real standout, IMHO, is the onboard preamp. awesome sound.
  9. dveeus1

Jan 7, 2001
    DFW, Texas
    I have not played one of his jimmy's basses. But I am familier with his work. I have played on several basses he has done set up work on. And, Jimmy is the only person I'll allow to do setup and repair work on my '79 Jazz bass.

When any of my basses (Including my F's) need attention I ship them to NYC for him to work on. And, have been soing so since he left TX in '98 - 99.

If the basses he builds feel anything like the way the he makes my personel bass does, he has got a winner. He has got a gift for tone and feel.

Does not play a lick of bass guitar. Reminds me of another guy with the initals of MT
  10. 64jazzbass

64jazzbass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2002
    Chicago, Il
    I've played both the 4 and 5 string models and they are excellent basses both in playability and sound. The craftsmanship is superb too. Jimmy is one of if not the best "fret" guys in New York. I recommend them highly. I have Jimmy do my setups when I'm in New York and they are always great. His basses are a nice alternative to Sadowsky and Pensa.
  11. Thebeave

Thebeave Guest

Dec 17, 2005
    I have to agree with everyone here; the Alleva Coppolo's are incredible basses - I love the 5 string models! The sound is like an old Jazz but they play perfectly.
    I'm actually starting to sell some things off in order to get one.
  12. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Banned

Dec 2, 2004
    Can any owner post some pics of their basses? For the people who were blown away by them, what are you comparing them to? If you play an Ibanez or a comperable bass and were blown away by the Coppolo it would be one thing, vs. owning a Sadowsky, Fodera or Celinder and being blown away by the Coppolo would be a different ballgame.
  13. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    only two I have ever seen for sale are of course mine at the shop and one on bassgear, but he wants $2700 for his.

I have said to everyone that ask, I think the AC is a great Jazz bass and I think it is equally as good as a Pensa which is one of my favorite Jazz basses be sides the LowEnd Jazz of course ;) The Old Pensa-Suhr's were smoking basses as well though......