1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Alleva Coppolo headstocks look a LOT like the early G&L ones, but no lawsuit?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Campbell, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Dave Campbell

Dave Campbell

Jul 13, 2006
    If Coppolo isn't getting harassed by Fender's legal team, then G&L should consider going back to the old-style headstock, in my opinion... they look so much better.

coppolo headstock.

L1000 headstock.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  2. Dave Campbell

Dave Campbell

Jul 13, 2006
    I wonder what Fender considers to be too similar to their own headstock.

I can only imagine how upset Leo was to have gotten that cease and desist letter from CBS... or was it FMIC? 1983, right? That would likely have been FMIC.

3. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Phillipsburg, NJ
    I agree and have thought the exact same thing myself. If AC can do it then G&L should be allowed.

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

The AC headstock is much bigger than a Fender and isn't exactly the same. In person an AC headstock looks nothing like a Fender IMO....

5. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Phillipsburg, NJ
    The point was that the AC headstock looks very very much like the old G&L headstock. G&L was forced to change theirs to a (Considered by some) less attractive design.

6. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    They both look like that soft-featured girl in your class who was about 6 years older than you were, but she was still in your grade.

Edgar and Dave Campbell like this.
  7. Dave Campbell

Dave Campbell

Jul 13, 2006
    I did some digging, it might just be a myth that Fender launched a lawsuit... it could be that it was simply a threat of lawsuit?

8. inanimate_carb

inanimate_carb

Aug 11, 2016
    Even if the people at G&L noticed this - which is doubtful - there's no point in legal action because it's a past G&L design that doesn't carry the distinctives of the current headstock design. Jimmy started building his own instruments after that G&L headstock was retired.

Also, AC isn't exactly a huge corporation with a dedicated legal defense and expenditure fund. There'd be no point in suing because there'd be no real reward for G&L for the time and money spent.

9. Dave Campbell

Dave Campbell

Jul 13, 2006
    The point I was making is that G&L had a very very similar headstock design and changed it, presumably under pressure from Fender, but now that AC appears to have the same style, perhaps G&L could go back to that style... even if only for the reissue models.