1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Alleva Coppolo Heart Breaker

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Tom7, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom7

Tom7 I'm so bright, my mom called me son! ;-)

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Tom7_Coppolo_01.

My decision to (semi-)retire from bass playing and sell my gear is getting increasingly painful as I say goodbye to these cherished basses.

Consequently, please understand that in the case of this particular bass, I reserve the right to change mind. I'm just not totally sure I can part with it.

Tom7_Coppolo_02.

A New York era bass, Jimmy Coppolo told me that when he came across this walnut, he went nuts and just had to buy it. Jimmy ultimately made 2 basses with these boards...

And when Jimmy finished THIS bass he thought it was so beautiful that he etched "The Heart Breaker!" into the back plate just below the serial number.

Tom7_Coppolo_04.

I know we all think our basses are special, but this one truly is.

As I said, Jimmy built two basses from these woods. One went to my friend and master of booty shaking grooves, Jason Langley, and the other went to bass legend Francisco Centeno.

Tom7_Coppolo_07.

If you aren't familiar with Cisco's work, he is known for a lot of things including playing bass on albums for Gladys Knight, Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross, Gloria Gayner, Whitney Houston, Bette Midler, etc.

Tom7_Coppolo_05.

Francisco Centeno also played on the soundtrack for the movie Tootsie and the movie Hairspray.

Tom7_Coppolo_09.

For the movie Hairspray, the producers asked Cisco to bring in all his basses and audition them for them. Hairspray being a period piece, the producers were very fussy; they wanted the music have a particular sound.

The producers insisted that Cisco use only the Alleva Coppolo, the sister to mine.

Tom7_Coppolo_08.

I bought her from Jason Langley and had a plexi finger ramp made for her, with my signature etched into the bottom of the ramp so it wouldn't get finger oil on it.

Yeah, the "T" is a bass clef, and the "P" is an eighth note, but no one can see it from the stage but me anyway, right?

Tom7_Coppolo_10.

Of course I realize the market for basses with my name on the finger ramp is somewhat limited, :D so I will sell the bass without the ramp.

By the way, the ramp is taped to the side of the pickup cover not the body of the bass, so it can come off without causing problems to the finish. Clever, huh? I'm so bright, my mom called me, "Son."

Tom7_Coppolo_06.

The bass has no flaws with it; just normal bass wear -- which isn't that much. Jason played it for sure, but I have many basses and am just a part-time bassist, so my basses just don't get out and gigged that often.

The Heart Breaker came with a gig bag that has "Alleva Coppolo" printed on it which, of course, would go with the bass.

Tom7_Coppolo_11.

I have a STRONG preference for a sale, but given that I can resist anything but temptation, I could possibly be swayed by the right trade offer, particularly if you are trying to tempt me with a 6-string bass. If you know me, then you know I am especially fond of Fbass, but I also like Fodera, Alleva Coppolo... and I've been lamenting that I'm retiring from bass playing without having ever owned a Sadowsky so that's a possibility too.

But again, I'm really trying to sell.

Tom7_Coppolo_12.

List Price: UNKNOWN
    Asking Price: $4,200 (shipped to the lower 48, shipping to other locations negotiable)
    Scale length: 34 inches
    String spacing: 19 mm
    Body wood: Alder
    Neck: Maple
    Fingerboard: African Rosewood
    Top: Walnut
    Pickups: Alleva Coppolo single coil
    Preamp: Alleva Coppolo
    Bridge: (not sure, B-Style?)
    Built: 27 October 2006
    Serial No.: B5 0033
    Condition: Excellent
    Comes with: Alleva Coppolo gig bag, and regrets if you sell her. ;-)

Wow, my stomach is doing flip flops just at the thought of pressing "Submit New Thread" on this. Here it goes... ARGH! :crying::bawl:

2. herrdruhl

herrdruhl Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2007
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    You are right, she's a stunner!

3. bassballs27

bassballs27 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    Hey Tom,

I've still got the Blue Sadowsky :)
    Took it off the market.

If you did want to work something out.......let me know.

-Chris

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Beautiful!

5. Jecodia

Jecodia

Jan 3, 2012
    JESUS.... that is beautiful. ..bump

6. nozkcb

nozkcb Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Wow!

7. Tony Delgado

Tony Delgado

Aug 7, 2009
    Wow....just freaking wow.

8. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Thanks for the kind words, guys. That's what I thought the first time I saw her too, and every day since.

I'm caught off guard by the responses and am trying to catch up on the PMs now. Sorry for the delay.

9. cubanz

cubanz Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Wisconsin
    WOW! is right. If I stumble on $5000 on the way home I'll be contacting you. GLWTS! :)

10. basses55

basses55 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    Endorsing artist: Alleva Coppolo Basses and Guitars, FBass, La Bella-Olinto Bergantino Audio Systems
    You might be ( semi) retiring but I hope you dont retire from being a bass enthusiast too!

Beautiful bass ..and I'm sure it sounds great.
    GLWTS

11. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Thanks for letting me know the Blue Sadowsky is still a possibility. Love that bass.

12. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Thanks, Mitch. Technically, I've probably only been a bass enthusiast for awhile now, it's just now I'm a bass enthusiast with a wife who wants my band room for additional crafting space. ;)

I'd surely like to get to NAMM at least once too, if only to meet with real players I look up to like you, Alain and Karel!

13. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    For those wanting to hear this bass, here is a quick link to one of the MP3s which helped convince me to buy it.

The mp3 is 3:43, and the song is "Brooklyn Girl" by Jason Langley.

Jason starts off playing the bass riff under which lets you hear it in a mix.

After the intro he does a melody line favoring the bridge pickup which gives you a taste of that tone.

Then at about 1:38 he switches to both pickups full on which lets you get a real feel for this character of this bass.

It's pretty nice.

14. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    And to get a sample of its slap tone, here is another Jason Langley song called Mr. DB.

Jason Langley songs used by permission. Thanks, Jason!

15. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Thanks for the responses, guys. I've returned all PMs and emails.

BTW, here's a quick overview of how my bass semi-retirement is going so far:

Tom7BassFamilyPhoto01b.
    Tom7_9basses_01a.

I've been asked about my other basses, but my wife and I are still talking about what will be the keepers in the end, so I don't have answers for you on that yet, except for the Barker which is already up for sale.

16. herrdruhl

herrdruhl Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2007
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    envy.

17. bassclef04

bassclef04 Bass and Beyond! Gold Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    I would love to buy this bass! I think i played this one at Jimmy NYC shop. off to play some lotto!

18. basses55

basses55 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    Endorsing artist: Alleva Coppolo Basses and Guitars, FBass, La Bella-Olinto Bergantino Audio Systems

.....tall shoes needed to be in with that list my friend. I'll look for some today....;)

Yes make it down one year for the show and you will be out of retirement in 4 days.

Meanwhile, bump for a beaut of a bass...

19. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    @bassess55 - From what I've seen, your shoes are plenty tall already! And good luck on that stunning Fodera you have up for sale, that bass is going to make someone pretty happy.

@Trade Offers - Thank you for the great trade offers. I've returned all PMs and all but 2 emails (I think).

There are two possible trades that I'm thinking over, but I won't think too long. I have a lot going on at home right now and don't have the time to let this drag out too long.

@Cash Offers - As I said, I don't want to drag this out too long so please stay near your phones and email boxes if possible. I'll be in touch soon.

@Everyone else - Thank you so much for the kind words. My stomach flops with each comment and I give myself a gut check about this sale. It does help to know it is appreciate though.

Cheers,
    Tom

20. osuok88

osuok88 Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX - USA
    pmed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.