Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alleva Coppolo & Lakland at the Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by west*coast*bass, Feb 5, 2006.

1. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    2 great basses made their way to the biggest game of the year - did anyone else notice?

There was Nate Watts playing his 5 string Alleva Coppolo during the pre-game show and Darryl Jones playing his signature Lakland with the Stones at Halftime.

2 great basses were represented tonight!!!

Congrats to all of the Pittsburgh fans.

Mark

2. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Yes I saw it. I played that Bass. Amazing tone. The Alleva-Coppola one. Silver with rosewood neck. Great Bass.
    Remember the pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. I couldn't see Darryl Jones at all during the Stones. Maybe for a half a second but only from the back. Great show though and the Stones were great too. LOL

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yea... where was he?

5. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

You guys must have gone to the bathroom, he didn't have any closeups, but there were a few good shots of him.

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    like 2.

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Yeah a few far away shots! I wanted to see just what he was playing and it was like he was banished to the other side of the stage!! You never got a shot the bass he was playing, and the best shot of him was putting the bass down just before they took a bow.:meh:

8. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Yeah they didn't show him much.

I did notice that he was using a pick though. Cool!

-Alex

9. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    +1 he was using a pick... and i notice that in the two shot of him, he had a sunburst bass with tort pick-guard i supose..

that was funny cause i was looking yesterday morning to buy a DJ5 and keep my money too look for a Alleva-Coppolo when i'll go to NewYork in march :p

Congrats to the Steelers too..

PO

10. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Yeah I was kinda bummed I didnt get to see much of Darryl Jones, I was dying to see what bass he was playing the whole time!

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yes, but DJ was actually pretty high in the mix...Surprisingly loud, considering the mess that the sound was.

For about half the time I thought maybe they'd put him either under the stage or behind the drum booth. I understand them focusing on the 'original' Stones, since they're the 'show'.

12. If you notice, any time you see the Stones on TV, you don't see much of Darryl! I'm sure it is well planned with DJ and the network that he and the keyboard player don't get much air time. Although, maybe DJ was hiding so he wasn't associated with such an awful performance. I would have been embarassed as well.

13. They pulled him in for the last bow, which was cool. Hey, DJ is a "hired gun", not a Rolling Stone, correct? It would seem that way, then he was correct in back seating it.

Yeah, I'd cringe for a full five minutes playing with such an awful guitar player. And stand real close to the drummer too!

14. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    IMHO, whoever does the gigs is part of the band. The way they staged things made it pretty clear that DJ isn't considered to be part of the band. I think it looked really stupid. Same thing for the keys player.

15. They've been doing this for years. Same thing when you see, say, Bon Jovi on TV. Hugh McDonald is nowhere to be seen. I'm not sure what the psychology is behind it, but somebody in their camps thinks it is a good move. I don't get it.

16. LiamCohl

LiamCohl

Jan 29, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    Daryll wasn't playing his laklands on stage as far as I could see, he had a sunburst fender p bass and fender j bass, definately both vintage. The he has black and white DJ 4strings on the road, but I dont think I saw either of them on the superbowl stage.

17. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    The new guy is just not important with an old band like this. If they had a different bass player they would still sell out. But remove the original members and there would be lots of crickets curping in an empty stadium. Well, maybe not during the Super Bowl! But you know what I mean. ;)

18. I couldn't hear a damn bit of bass during the halftime concert. All I could make out was choppy vocals and out of tune guitars. Yeah the energy and charisma was there, but I was pretty disappointed with the actual performance. They practically removed any low end or drums from the mix. It just sounded so muddy and sloppy.

19. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Maybe it's just me, but this Super Bowl was the most boring ever. Pregame, halftime, etc. Not to mention the refs blowing calls against Seattle left and right. :bag:

20. djcruse

djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    Oh yes he was playing his Laklands! He was using his signature model all night.