1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Sale Alleva-Coppolo LG 5

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by ElMon, Jan 13, 2020.

1. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Price:
    Strings:
    No longer available - Alleva LG5

OK, more pics/clips/musings/insanity to come, but for starters ....

This bass represents my 'not main player, but there for some sweet, G.A.S-enabling trades'

Very glad I got to experience some of Jimmy's handiwork, between this and the RA5 I had for a minute. There are a lot of J-inspired 5 strings out there these days, and I've owned a ton of them, but IMO this build absolutely nails the 'classic Fender J with a B-string' thing.

I've actually gigged an alder/rw 66' J, and this bass is very evocative of that classic, but again, it can go boom-boom down low. Oh, and the bridge pickup sound on this puppy is the text-book definition of that overused word 'punchy'.

Few International Relations Items to go over:

Really do NOT want to ship this abroad, but I might consider some of you fine Canadian folken, for ease of shipping.

I'LL CALCULATE ACTUAL SHIPPING COSTS FOR WHOMEVER GETS THIS ONE!!!!

PAYPAL!!!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020 at 8:28 AM
  2. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Viggo51, kobass, whirledpeas and 2 others like this.
  3. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    "ElMon ... you fickle sumbiscuit ... what's the deal? A cursory look through your past threads ... I mean ... whatever your therapist is charging is too much. Just pick some dang basses and quit all of this foolin."

And yet ...

I'm a dabbler when it comes to J-basses. I like that sound, but I'm not 'in love' with it. P-Guy. Through and Through. 'P-Wit-a-B' club I guess you could say.

Did some back-to-back testing over the weekend, and still my Sadowsky PJ5 edges everything else out. My Olinto P5 is absolutely the more period-correct version of a P5, but my PJ5 Skardooski is my 'er-tang' bass.

So ... in the case of this bass ...

I'd just rather have a WL5.
    I stupidly let go of a Metro ... ash/maple ... that was just amazing. My 'I'm not really a J Guy' psychosis kicked in. I actually like the down-sized body and the slimmer nut width.

Does it have as much 'true J' mojo as this AC LG5?

No ... and it's been fun being able to really know the difference.

bassballs27 and joker820 like this.
  4. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    upload_2020-1-13_14-30-0.png

Completely-unintentional on that front, but pretty damn funny as well.

bassballs27 and joker820 like this.
  5. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    This neck is very thin front-to-back, and very fast. Turns out that's NOT my 'thang'. My Olinto P5 has a baseball bat neck like a 50's P (not quite a V shape, but in the ball park) and I LURVE it.

bassballs27 likes this.
  6. Cutter8

Cutter8 Admittedly in need of adult supervision... Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    That is one extremely handsome bass! I really like the look of the burst fades at the ends of the neck, framed by the bound fretboard. :thumbsup: GLWTS...

ElMon and bassballs27 like this.
  7. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Might be into some UV5 Ultra-Vintage, 70's inspired Sadowsky Metro 5's as well.

8. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Not in any rush on this FYI. So, though I respect your Hutzpuh, lowballers need not apply. I fart in your general direction!

Eugene.thomas87 likes this.
  9. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Putting this on hold for this jack-knob (me) who wants to slap some LaBella rounds on this and raise the action.

This thing is a slap machine, with that type of action that you can carry a set with just your left hand hammer-ons whilst you finish your 20oz beer.

10. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Still would be down for an NYC WL5 and/or AC LM5.

11. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    OK, back on the block.

Few things to go over:

Barring a WL5 (NYC most likely straight across and Metro money my way) or an AC LM5, no trades on this one.

And to the lowballers:

Don't even try. 'Do a search' about this brand.

• These deluxe/supreme models regularly trade in the $4500-5k+ region
    • They don't come up all that much
    • The gold finish is made with real pirate gold
    • I don't hate on people for the 'it's worth a shot' approach, but seriously ... why do I have to take a bath on a bass like this? Answer: I don't.

I'll wait years before I drop this a red cent. Stubborn I am!!

bassballs27 likes this.
  12. That neck is amazing!!! I love the weird sh*t Jimmy does from time to time. Just amazing. So unique. That bass is so much bling. Just love it.

ElMon likes this.
  13. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    My second AC bass. The neck carve is slim and FAST. I’m truly not worthy, hence passing it along.

This bass is so wide sounding and dynamic. I kind of prefer the more compressed sound of my Sadowsky basses.