1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alleva Coppolo - Needs more square footage

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by svtb15, Feb 23, 2008.

1. YES, It doesnt matter where the shop is located.

83 vote(s)
    86.5%
  2. NO, I will only like it if it has the mystique of Made in NYC attached to it.

13 vote(s)
    13.5%
  1. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Today I was talking with Jimmy at Alleva-Coppolo Basses and Guitars. We were knocking some ideas back and forth.
    Things are going well and he is preparing to expand his operation. Basically he has no room in the current shop and he is stepping all over himself. Tools are piled to the ceiling. The shop is only about 10 feet wide right now.

He will most likely have no choice but to leave Manhattan/NYC and is considering an entirely different city in the US.
    The only thing that would change is that he would have more square footage,an office to put the computer and more wood storage.
    He will still be making everything exactly as he is now.

What do you all think? Any comments? Would a move like this change or affect your opinion of his product?

2. simongpaez

simongpaez Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas
    Move to Texas, we have plenty of space here!!!!!

Location has nothing to do with quality and how a bass is made, so como over !!!!

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I wonder if people would say the same thing if he moved to Vietnam? :D

4. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    He will def stay in the USA.. LA or Nashville? If he moved to Nashville i would follow him and work with him.. Upstae NY is nice too.. He could get acreage and a full shop.. but i think he is tired of the cold...

5. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Builders such as Mike Tobias and Joe Zon moved their operations across the country at some point in the past. Their reputations and end products were not affected, and actually improved, IMO.

As long as a builder keeps his or her high standards of quality and service in a new home base, a move to another location is really just that - a lateral move. Build quality isn't attached to geography.

Admittedly, there is sort of a romance in buying an instrument made in NYC, but an A-C bass is still on my short list of "what bass to buy next". As long as Jimmy keeps the same standards he based his rep on when working in a new location, I'm not too hung up on where it's made, as long as it's here in the US.

6. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    It's going to be a loss to New York if he leaves, but real estate prices here s**k!

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    As a representative of the San Diego Regional Economic Development Corporation (EDC), I'd say San Diego is the spot. It has the perfect climate for guitar building (ask Bob Taylor, Steve Azola, Deering Banjos and others), with the temperature at 72 degrees all day every day of the year. The EDC will be glad to help you relocate here. Just visit www.sandiegobusiness.org for details and contacts.

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147

Dude, how could you leave the lovely lovely town of Denton? :D

But seriously, Brooklyn is nice, Queens is just a smelly tunnel away, and
    well, Texas is a whole 'nother country--in a good way!

Nashville sounds like fun. I wonder if it is? :bag:

9. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    That's really unfortunate, jimmy coppolo did a few setups and i think a refret for my dad. but yes, his store is tiny. i'm actually surprised to hear that it's even as much as 10 feet wide.

10. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    haha.. its been non productive here and im ready for a change...
    my good friend and her boyfriend moved to Nashville 2 years ago and she loves it... and if i went on the road they would love to dog sit my dog...
    it would be great to work with jimmy.. i dont think im ready to go back to LA though.. very nice but also very $$$

11. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    its not etched in stone at all.. just something that we talked about... and he has run out of space... Brooklyn as well as Staten island are possible options too.

12. pmaraziti

pmaraziti Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore
    Jimmy's a great guy, his insturments great, if moving will also mean cutting some $ out of the price tag , then I'll help him to pack... :)

P.

13. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    If it is out of NY I would be upset. But, if he did move, I would say take serious where fender made its pre CBS basses and guitars. Take that place over and it will bring back everything that was once great.
    But all in all, where he opens shop has nothing to do with quality of his work. I dont think it would matter regarding sales. But that fender shop would be kind of cool.

14. Doo Wop

Doo Wop

Apr 26, 2007
    , Maryland
    Kirk,
    I think it's a great idea! Moving out of the city would definitely save him money and he could get a better deal on a larger shop somewhere else. Sounds like a no brainer to me.
    Tell him to move to Maryland and I will go to work for him. :D

15. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    It's all about quality of work and customer service... if Jimmy takes his act to Vietnam and can still maintain his current standards, sign me up.

I'm tied up with a few other basses on order, but there is definitely an AC in my future, no matter where Jimmy is.

16. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

This is a trend here in NYC..the rents are so outrageous that the "Mom and Pop " type stores have to shut down or relocate.

He might think about moving upstate near the other great builders and turn the Catskills into a Bass Mecca ...

but I have been to his shop and its in a great location but too small to keep up with his growth..

17. Ace Of Bass

Ace Of Bass A Rooster Illusion

Jun 27, 2006
    DC
    +1........ I talked to Jimmy about this a while ago but I'm not sure how attached he is to the NYC area........Brooklyn's definitely a good idea if he wanted to stay there.....in real estate, it's a buyer's market just about everywhere else and he could get as much space as he needs probably at a great price.if he did move his operations to MD, he could also get a guy that is willing to work the phone lines taking orders for him for peanuts (and the occasional bass)....

:bag:

18. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I believe Jimmy used to live/work in the Dallas, TX area. It would be cool if he came back.

19. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I think that Jimmy has built a pretty strong reputation already, and relocating will only be positive.

Nashville seems like a nice area. L.A., from a business point of view, could be good, but it is pretty expensive. San Diego will be awesome, but isn't cost of living pretty high there, too?

Texas, well, heck yeah, plenty of land, and more affordable cost of living. Austin would be awesome.

20. Let me know what the plan is! I wanted to come into the shop when I visit New York later this year - not much point in me turning up at an empty store! hahaha

I know the bass production is well up recently - but is this sustainable over the long term? Also, isn't a large part of Jimmy's operation to do with set-ups and maintanance of the New York session scene guys?

Whatever he does, I am certain it will be decided upon after much careful consideration - it'll be a big thing to do.