1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alleva Coppolo Yo Shotie - Anyone played one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wideyes, Apr 20, 2010.

1. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR

Attached Files:

292.jpg
      File size:
      13 KB
      Views:
  2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Not a fan of the look or the scale. Are they insanely expensive?

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That's kinda neat, like a reconfiguring of the Mustang. Not my cuppa, but I can see where they're coming from.

4. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    No offense, ladies... but it's a little too girlie for me.

5. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    I think this bass was made for me :D

Because:

- I play shortscale
    - I've ALWAYS wanted a pink bass :bassist:
    - I love the p-bass / mustang thing
    - It looks body-heavy, which makes me think it would not suffer from neckdive (a problem usually more pronounced on shortscale instruments IME)
    - AC basses are the bomb!

The fundamental flaw in this bass lies in my checkbook... :oops:

6. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    Awww c'mon... It takes a REAL man to unapologetically gig a bass like this!

7. If a Flea bass mated with a Mustang...

8. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I know. I always wanted that purple AC P bass that was floating around the classifieds a month ago. Should have bought it.

9. JTUK

JTUK

May 25, 2009
    Nope... doesn't work for me.

It is indeed a girl's bass.

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I guess this a boutique Daisy Rock.:bag:

11. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    The Shorties are absolutely the real deal... The color makes you take it less seriously but they are built as well as all A-C instruments and that pickup produces one of the PHATEST P style tones I've heard.

I agree that it looks cute and being such a big guy I probably wouldn't use it on stage, but I would love to record with one.

There were 2 at NAMM, the pink with rounded body edges w/ Bocote fingerboard and a slab body sonic blue one w/ rosewood fingerboard (IIRC). The pickup wires were different on each and produced 2 distinct tones - the blue being clearer with more definition (closer to a real P) and the pink being phat city, specially with the tone rolled back all the way.

You can always ask Jimmy to make you one in a "more serious" color to match this truly serious instrument.

12. WaskoDS

WaskoDS

Nov 22, 2009
    Allentown, PA
    Kind of weird people are assuming that just because it's shown in one color that it's only in that color. This is a custom shop instrument, guys, there's going to be a hell of a lot more options than that.

13. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I played one at NAMM.. Extremely punchy little thing... Very tight sound..
    If i were doing music movie soundtracks i would have one in a second.. It would be essential...

14. Lurker79

Lurker79

Jul 3, 2008
    Hayward, CA

For some reason, it seems to me that the only people with that logic are just trying to convince themselves. I'm a big boy though, 6'2", 215 lbs, short scale basses just look really weird on me. And if the strap is too high with a short scale, most people look really funny. :p

I guess I'd have to get past the look before I could think about the sound.

15. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Weird, but in an awesome way.

16. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    Oh, I'm just giving him a hard time for not wanting to play an instrument on the grounds that it's "girly"... c'mon, folks, we're all comfortable with our masculinity around here, aren't we? There are enough fishnet pantyhose in the world of bass... :bag:

AND, if you click through the handily provided link you can see all the finish options and they're AWESOME. But I like pink.

And I'm glad they sound as phat as they look. It was the appearance in the latest issue of BP in the NAMM section that caught my attention. It was literally a "Woah!" moment. Thanks to those who played one and left comments. Who knows when (if) I'll ever have a chance to play one without buying it first :meh:

This is one of the first times I've ever seen a picture of a bass and really just *known* I'd love it. I'm not usually subject to that kind of whimsy.

17. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    I'd be happy to send you soundclips... PM me your email and I will dig them up.

I'm planning on heading to the shop tomorrow night can record the blue one for you if I don't already have it... The pink is gone.

18. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    Yes please! PM'd!

19. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact

Apr 19, 2007
    what does a bass like this cost?

20. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    I agree! I really like it. I'd like it in any color.