1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

alleva coppolo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joelyb, Jun 21, 2007.

1. joelyb

joelyb

Feb 1, 2007
    sydney australia
    hey peeps,
    i'm looking at getting a new bass. 5 string jazz style. i have been checking out sadowsky and have been reading on the alleva coppolo website. can anyone offer any suggestion or does anyone own a sadowsky/ alleva copollo or other hot rod fender style bass. i'm in oz so it would most likely be that i wouldnt play it before i ordered. i trust you guys. speak....

jb

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Paging KJung, paging KJung....:D

3. joelyb

joelyb

Feb 1, 2007
    sydney australia
    whats kjung?

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
  5. joelyb

joelyb

Feb 1, 2007
    sydney australia
    forgive my ignorance. i would love to hear his opinions:D

6. :D I agree with everything except the 'distinguished' part:D

I've posted so much about these basses that I'm sure a few TBers are ready to strangle me.

I PM'd a TBer recently with my take of these basses, so I'll send a copy to you.

The quick take is that they are all J's and have a tone most would identify as 'J like', but each has a very different flavor... from modern, to 'souped up on steroids' to very vintage and traditional sounding, feeling, looking, etc.

K

7. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
  8. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Yeah, shutup already, you're making me go broke :D

9. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Japan
    In summary,
    Sadowsky=Super Modern Fender'ish
    AC=Super Vintage Fender'ish

I own a Sad, and have an AC on the way.
    I love what the Sad. can do, but I also love what it can't.

Also, I believe a Sad. can achieve that more vintage 60's (if you will) sound, if you run it with the VTC and through a more mellow/classic amp, such as the polytone mini-brute.

My Sad. through my Eden rig can be overly bright and extremely snappy, if I leave the Eden flat, as I do with every other bass I own. Meaning, I never push the treble boost very high and the VTC (treble rolloff is usually dialed up pretty good) when running through modern Hi-Fi rigs.
    But through the mini-brute the Sad. mellows out nicely and I'm able to push it's preamp to the extremes without reaching intolerable levels. If I were to push the Sad. preamp to the extreme maximums on my Eden rig, it would be extremely bright to the point of being obnoxious. I'm referring to the treble boost, here.

So, I hope my personal experience was some help, even though there are people who are a lot more qualified to discuss this topic than I.

10. Cool and +1. What model and configuration/color, etc. A-C are you getting?

11. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Japan
    > >LG-5 OlyWhite:
    > >Passive tone:
    > >Tort guard:
    > >Lacquer finish body:
    > >Lacquer finish neck:
    > >Matching headstock:
    > >Tinted clear coat for neck profile:
    > >Honduras rosewood:

:hyper:

I feel kind of lame jumping on the OlyWhite/Tort. bandwagon, but I just see it as such a timeless look.
    I think my next AC with be a four stringer P-bass with mocha brown metalic finish and maple neck.

12. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I own an NYC Sadowsky 5, ash body with maple fingerboard. I would not call my particular Sadowsky "overly bright." Actually, I was a little surprised it wasn't brighter sounding (coming from ken smith and MTD, you know heh). I've actually found myself boosting some trebble (strings are several gigs old at this point) and not using the VTC. My Sadowsky has the Sadowsky single coils and not the standard hum cancelling pickups.

13. I think a lot of this has to do with the rig. I know Nino V. always posts that he doesn't ever use a VTC, but he's playing out of a very vintage sounding rig (Ag359) and goes for a somewhat distorted (pleasantly so) vintage type tone. If you are using the DB750, I would guess that you wouldn't need to tame the treble much, since that head is very fat, warm and mid punchy to my ear.

Howevever... if you've ever heard a Sadowsky through a more hi fi or articulate rig, or direct into a recording board or into a good front of house system via a good quality DI, there is a lot of sizzle happening (although more with the stock pickups than the single coil). The A-C is VERY bright also when played through a SS head and two way cab with tweeter.

So, IME, it depends on the context and rig whether you need anything like the VTC to tame the top end down. Quite frankly, once a full band kicks in, I rarely use the VTC. On a quiet trio with my Berg and WW rig... I'd die without it!

Edit: I'll say it again.. that is a KILLER looking bass you have there. I actually had a virtually identical one on order, but then realized that the lack of the pickguard resulted in a feel that didn't work for my playing style, so I went with a more traditional looking Vintage model. That color and wood combination is just amazing IMO!

14. Freddy-G.

Freddy-G. take your protein pills & put your helmet on Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Duluth, Georgia
    Hey joelyb, I think you should also consider an F Bass (www.fbass.com). While it doesn't have a Fender clone body style, it definately falls within the hot rod Fender tone category. In general, the F Bass tone has an articulate, less aggressive/more smoother/more modern Fender tone. :)

15. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Japan
    Sean, you have such a beautiful Sad! I'm in love with that tiger's eye top!

I did not mean to imply that Sadowsky's are overly bright instruments. I only ment to point out that I find them to have extremely varied EQ response when run through different rigs, but hey, I guess that's all bass guitars.

I'm sure that wonderful Aggie rig of yours helps a lot in coloring the sound. Just something to think about.

Now, how bout some sound clips!

16. Nice! I've seen a picture of that color combination (although I think he removed all the 'sold' pictures on the site. Beautiful. My NYC Sadowsky is almost identical, minus the matching headstock. That's going to be killer!

17. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Japan
    KJung,

I drool over that beautiful red fretboard/tort/olywhite combo that you've posted before. I've never seen a fretboard that so nicely matchs a tort. guard.

I'm hoping the honduran rosewood comes close!

I'm sorry if this is getting off topic, I'm got the AC fevah!

18. Thanks! It is really red. I forgot the variety of rosewood... madagascar or something like that. It has a very soft, somewhat oily feel (that I associate with 'true' rosewood like the honduran you are getting). It really does pick up the color of the tort guard... it's a beauty. Even the darker necks like the Morado necks on the Sad Metro's look great with that combination, so you can't go wrong. We will look forward to seeing that bass. Isn't Jimmy a wonderful cat.. just the nicest most helpful guy, and you can tell he's very excited about his business and the basses/guitars he's making.

19. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Japan
    Yeah Bud,

I believe Jimmy has experience and understand far beyond his years. I've had to wake up at 4am to get a hold of him (since I live in Korea, atm) to discuss the details of the bass, and he has never come across as the stuck up artsy "luthier".
    When I move to Maryland in 3 months, I'm going up to NYC just to shake his hand and tell him thanks. (Also, I'll get him to do a fretjob on my 10 year old ray)

Hoestly Joel, I don't think you can go wrong with a Sad. or an AC.

I guess you are too far away from NYC to go visit and play both, but I would ask yourself what kind of music you will be playing and then go from there.

People claim the Sads. are the Marcus Miller (70's jazz sound), which is accurate if you play in that sort of style, but granted they are versatile, with a wonderful (dare I say it) "fit and finish"...excuse the cliche. They are master crafted, and you won't have any trouble with them.
    I had mine (used) sit in a closet for almost a year, then shipped from california to korea, and it was still in tune with wonderful action. Needless to say, I love it.

If you want something more custom tailored to your own exact specs. (i.e. pickup covers, select old growth woods, custom "matched" finishes, nitro/poly choices) with a truly vintage feel/sound, then I would say get an AC. This team is 3 guys. Jimmy Coppolo, and his paint guys. The nitro man worked for fender pre-CBS, as far as I know. And I've heard wonderful things about the poly. guy.

Granted, I've never delt with Roger Sadowsky or his excellet team, but they have a great reputation here. It's just a shame that you can't demo either of the basses you are interested where you are located.

Either way, I don't think you will be let down.

Matt

20. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I have a sadowsky NYC single coils jazz. Getting a LM5 by Alleva Coppolo. My opinion is that the Sadowsky has a more modern type fender but the Alleva Coppolo is true to its vintage fender tone. Ill have the LM5 very soon. I will better have a hold on the differences. But to me as of recent the Alleva Coppolo has a more personnal touch to it. Jimmy has his own hands on each any every bass that is made. Maybe Sadowsky use too. But with the numbers he is putting out its hard for him to give that personnal touch. You go into Jimmys shop and you see him working on them. I am not saying Roger doesn't even touch his basses but there is alot more he has to do, buisness wise. Jimmy at this time is working hard to make his mark in the Bass world. And he is doing a great job at it. Its a great bass.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 27, 2021