1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alleva Pickups with what preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DirtPoorRobins, May 12, 2011.

1. DirtPoorRobins

DirtPoorRobins Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2005
    VA
    I'm getting a pair of alleva pickups to put in my fender custom classic, any ideas on a good preamp to throw in there that will complement the alleva pickups? Nordy is the first on that comes to mind, any others to think about?

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i'd have some concern over buying the pickups he's selling through his website vs a set that someone pulled out of a bass. i suspect what he's putting in his basses are wound different. a 4 string jazz set has specs of 6.5k and little over 2 henries for inductance. thats low wind and bright. super accurate as a vintage replacement. matched up with a pre would be pretty high tech sounding. i had a set of antiquity 2's wound to my specs of 8k for the neck and 8.5 for the bridge and matched up with an onboard coppolo pre and it was super modern sounding. those pickups sounded amazing passive though.

the 5 string set has similar specs with the bridge pickup in the 7k range. as a comparison, i traded many pms with a tb'r who had gutted is lg5. he had a 64 jazz and wanted it to sound more like that bass. he first tried pulling the pre but the bass passive with jimmy's pickups was too dark in comparison to the old jazz. he measured the resistance and they were around 10k he said. he ended up commissioning duncan to build him some antiquity 2's to but in his bass.

im only basing this off this guys info on how his pickups read, so if he was mistaken, im talking out of my butt in regards to the difference in pickups. but of all the coppolo's ive played id say that makes sense because the pickups dont sound as low wind as what he's selling on the site.

3. DirtPoorRobins

Apr 18, 2005
    VA
    So.... no preamp with the alleva aftermarket pickups then is your suggestion? Would running a nordy pre in passive mode give me the same effect as if it were truly passive?

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    honestly if you have your heart set on jimmy's pickups, my suggestion is see if theyll sell you a set with a return policy. the specs they have up on the site for those pickups even run passive would be a sound most people arent used to. its also a sound that imo will be pretty different than the soundclips of coppolo's youve heard.

and according to the guy who i was talking about earlier, he liked the sound of his bass with the pre removed completely compared to the bypassed coppolo.

5. DirtPoorRobins

Apr 18, 2005
    VA
    Hmm... interesting, well I have a used set on the way that I picked up for about half price, so if I like them great, if not, no biggie. Thanks for your input.

6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    if you have access to a multimeter id be pretty interested if the resistance readings match up with whats on the site.

7. DirtPoorRobins

Apr 18, 2005
    VA
    yeah I'll check them before I put them in.

8. spellcaster

spellcaster

Mar 20, 2007
    NY-DC
    Any update on these pickups and how they are working out for you?