Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

alleviating your GAS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Acacia, Mar 7, 2001.

1. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Anyone buying another bass soon?

Whatcha gettin'?

I am eyeing a mid-90's neck-thru Charvel. After a recent ebay deal, looks like I can get something new (again...just bought a new Fender a few weeks ago).

I take it that this GAS thing is truly addictive. ;)

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    In the past month or so, I bought a:

1-Warmoth 5 string that I built

2-Spector NS-2000 5Q

3-G&L L-5500

I want to get a Spector NS-6 XL w/a piezo but that ALOT of money.

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Dave Pushic´s Custom "Omega" Bass

4. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I like my Schecter so much, that I bought another one. This time...with a bolt on neck, which I am seriously thinking about defretting.

5. Saving up for a Warwick Corvette STD 5-string:D

6. I'd really like to build a Warmoth Jazz, but that might not happen for a while. I'll probably get a few EBS effects and a maybe new amp before that (I think my current amp is loud enough.. it's sufficed on a gig before.. but we'll see).

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well...was going to fix the GAS with an 8x10 ampeg cab and a Ampeg B2R head, but my mom won't let me spend that much on a bass rig, so I had to get a computer, which is not by any means a cure for Bass GAS, toy/techie/other GAS, but not Bass GAS.

So to ease off some of the pressure, I'm probably going to get a coupla pedals (a decent chorus, delay, and/or synth) with the spare cash not going into the puter.

Later, I might build a Warmoth, but now, a new set of strings, and maybe some new picks...

8. After getting my Sadowsky a few weeks ago and the Ashdown rig a few months ago, I now think my GAS addiction has been completely cured. :D

9. keep telling your self that. maybe it will come true.
    :D

10. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I bought a 1977 MusicMan Stingray Nat,Maple, strung through. Became my main squeeze.
    Bought a G&L L2000 for a backup on a impulse buy but I don't like it so back 0n the selling block she goes, it's to bad cause it's a real nice bass i'm just not comfy with it, to many switches and knobs.
    Selling for what I have into it 450 + shipping see the add in the for sale section with pics.

11. You'd think my G.A.S. was cured, after I got my Carl Thompson workin' good, and just picked up that killer, customized MIM Jazz from Dude. But no. This Dave Pushic guy is giving me a severe case of G.A.S.! And sadly, there is nothing I can do about it.

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Dave, do what I do. Look at your bank statement once a day.:(

Will C.:cool:

13. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i think i am gonna trade in the P bass that I just bought a few weeks ago. i love the neck, but i cannot get comfy plucking on it.

the shop is gonna give me full credit (minus tax). I'll get the used charvel i was looking at, a case, a Korg digital tuner and some other accessories...

14. Gear_Junky

Gear_Junky

Jul 11, 2000
    I don't even have GAS! I haven't bought anything "bass" in at least a year. I spend all my money on drum gear now [lol]

15. getting a Geddy Lee Jazz Bass!
    I want to get rid of my other crap so I can get some more J-basses. J-basses rule!

16. odie

odie Supporting Member

I think I need a custom made bass, Ive never actually had one, Ive never even gotten a bass with my choice of color, I always just found the one that sounded best, took it home, and dealt with the appearence later.

Maybe a DP!!!!!!

17. SantosL.Halper

SantosL.Halper

Sep 27, 2000
    Putting $1700 into my piece of crap car has alleviated any GAS for me for the time being...

But, there is a 5-string fretless in my future.-SLH

"What's that smell? I smell home cooking.
    It's only the river...". Talking Heads "Cities"

18. Man, I got some bad gas today. At lunch today I played a G&L 2000, natural ash and maple. What a great bass! I want it so bad! It's used (but immaculate condition) and they want 799.00 for it w/ case, but after running home and doing a search here on used G&L's, it seemed that maybe 799.00 was alittle high. Now I'm wondering weather to get it or not. I want it, but I don't want to pay too much for it. It looks and sounds awsome. There's not a scratch on it! It looks completly brand new. What do you guys think? I think I'm gonna go up there tomarrow and offer him 700.00.

19. Gear_Junky

Gear_Junky

Jul 11, 2000
    Here's a greeting card you would send to the bass of your dreams:

"Thought of you today. Got G.A.S.!"