Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alligators - the new sharks

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Jun 19, 2003.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/South/06/19/alligator.attack.ap/index.html

5 bucks says this is going to turn into the new big hysteria of this summer. Remember the whole shark thing 2 summers ago? (or was that last summer?) Anyway, be on the lookout for new gator headlines in the national news. Even if there are no more gator attacks than there normally are if there is even one more soon it's going to be front page news.

brad cook

2. Donkeybass

Donkeybass

May 13, 2003
    Odessa, TX
    No Bet - Mankind craves drama... THEY LOVE IT!

[cocks pistol] now lets just see how many gators drag ME under...

RT

3. What ever sells, and wouldn't you know it, humans like to feed on the media, I am so glad I am from another solor system.....oops, I have said too much haven't I? Oh Flabbugrosh byngertuyff nug floryt basude juitnoaj bazylux croigylic!!!!

4. Eugh....how about some compassion for the little boy?

5. It was two summers ago. The shark attack frenzy was the biggest continuing story during the summer of 2001, until 9/11.

This is very sad; a little kid goes for a swim and doesn't come back. :(

Mike

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That's exactly right.
    Here @the Beach, we had 3 attacks that Summer of '01...the 2nd one involved two people(guy & a gal in their 20s); the gal survived but probably wished she had not.
    This was all over our local news until 9/11.

I'm not one to go in the Ocean. I would say I am the sort that would respect whatever lives there, though.

7. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I feel for the family of the boy and all, but if I see gators i'm not going in the water.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Damn straight! I have no desire to have my own show on animal planet.

brad cook

9. Yeah, Jim, I remember the girl got really chewed up good. I even vaguely remember one news repeort saying that it might be just one shark swimming up and down the east coast trying to kill people. Puuleeeeze! :rolleyes:

I just read in today's paper that one of the other kids swimming with the one that died (Bryan Griffin) was quoted as saying, "Every time we saw them, we would get out."

EVERY TIME?

It's easy to criticize them, but, I did a ton of stupid things when I was that age.

As my father used to say about sharks, alligators and the like, "Remember, we're in their element, they're not in our's."

It still stinks.

Mike

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    This story, like the shark one is a very very realistic possibility that everyone in Florida faces. So I think its good they pump shark attacks and gator attacks and friendly reminders on the news. Its honestly for you're own good.

There are alot of lakes and swimming holes down here. There is an aligator in every lake down here and if theres not, then there will be one there by the end of the week. Ive seen a few too many of them around here, even in and around retention ponds, so I honestly believe the statement.

Many people swim in the lakes, we know theres gators there, but more often than not we dont see them, and believe me everyone scouts over the water pretty good before jumping in it. Alot of times they're actually just chillin out under the water where you can't see them.

Its not realistic to tell the people to keep out of the lakes, and its not realistic to think the aligators especially a 10 foot one isnt gonna feed on a human if they're hunting. Especially if they stumble too close to the Gator, Heck to the gator that size a 6 foot tall man let alone a boy that old is nothing more than prey.

I honestly think its good if the media keeps us aware that aligators lurk around in all the lakes here.

I dont like them much, but Its somewhat sad that this aligator will be killed now because its over 6 ft long and killed a human.

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm talking about the national news. Why do people in the middle of Wisconsin need to know about all the dangerous sharks down in Florida. I've heard that the number of shark attacks that summer really wasn't any larger than the norm but someone in the media pumped it up. Anyone know if that's true?

brad cook

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I can kinda see it being on national news, alot of tourists come down here. So it gives them a bit of a heads up about some of the dangers in our waters.

I dont know if they rose or not, I heard they did. What I do know is, I do alot of fishing and I do know from 1st hand experience that I saw alot more sharks out and about in the Gulf of Mexico than I normally have in the past. They were in spots Ive never seen them in, in the past.

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    My er...well, she's still my wife...my wife works about 10 minutes from where this happened. Sad thing, but this happens more often down here than is commonly known, not only by people elsewhere, but even by the majority of Florida residents. As Cass said, gators here are like pigeons in NYC - they're everywhere there's more than 6" of water. I've had my own run-in with a nesting mother once, about 20 years ago...they're lightning fast even on land! (Happily they're can't turn worth a crap :D)

I was lucky, I learned my lesson with merely a scare.

Too many people think that they are harmless, or worse yet, they encourage them to seek out humans by actually feeding them. This kind of behaviour just creates these problems. These are wild animals, carnivores at that, and we - especially in their enviroment - are no more than prey. You have to keep that in mind at all times when you are in the water here, salt (shark) or fresh (gator) in Florida.

It ain't all palm trees, sand, and pretty girls in bikinis.

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

*marks Florida off list of prospective vacation spots* ;)

brad cook

15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    *marks another Texan off the list of irritating tourists*

;)

16. Darwin had it right all along...

17. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Good one!

Now if we could just keep all the northerners outta here too...hehehe

18. Gard and Cassanova are right on about the situation down there in FL. I lived there for 27 years without any problem but that was just good timing. Gators were hunted to near extinction in FL for their hides. In the early 60's, gator hunting was banned so that populations would get a firmer grip. Now, the hunting limits are still in place while the problem of over-hunting is long gone. That's the usual problem with FFWGFC meddling - short sightedness. Now like Cass said, there isn't a single fresh water location that doesn't have a gator in it. Another problem is the rather poor way the state publicizes gator attacks. Officially they report that there have been only 17 deaths in FL from gators since they began keeping records in 1947. The only trouble with that statistic is that for the most part of that time, the gator population was extremely low and mostly located in the southern part of the state like the Everglades and Okechobee areas. Hell, I fished with my grandfather up and down the St. Johns river from Puzzle Lake in the south to Lake George in the north from about 1965 until 1976 and never, in any of those prehistoric bayheads and black waters, did I see a gator. Swam a lot there too but I wouldn't put a pinky toe in the water now.

By the way, this particular incident of the boy has a Darwin award written all over it. Reports say that the boy and his 2 friends were in the water when they spotted the gator. The 2 got out and implored their friend to do the same. In typical teenager bravado fashion, he refused and then went on to taunt the beast. That's what got him et more than anything else. Just pure stupidity.

19. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    Gators are marvelous creatures, despite snacking on the odd human. here we have these huge apex predators among us, and for the most part, when people are educated and respectful, we co-exist rather comfortably. though maybe the state should distribute flyers warning tourists.

i grew up in florida, and it was just local wisdom, from a young age, not to get in fresh water or mess w/ the visible gators. just respect. we had a canal w/ a low bank not 50 feet from my house in the back yard, and a 4-5 gator sunned himself regularly in my yard. ya just leave him alone, and appreciate the fact that this large predator is still with us, instead of hunted to extinction out of fear and greed.

20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Actually, it's not that bad.

Rule #1: If you can't see the bottom and it's relatively shallow (10' or less), or there is a lot of cover (logs, weeds, etc), DO NOT GET IN THE WATER.

Rule #2: If you see a gator, GO THE OTHER WAY.

Basically, that's it.

I swim and waterski in the Clermont chain, which is 20 miles west of Orlando, regularly. It has pretty dark, tannin stained waters, but I stick to areas that are deep waters and high traffic, which are not 100% gator-free, but as close to it as you can get. The more comotion there is in the water - lots of motorboat traffic, lots of swimmers - the fewer gators you will see, that stuff tends to scare off the prey, and it irritates the gator.