Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Allman Bros. technique?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by deepestend, Oct 15, 2004.

1. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I’ve been doing a little woodshedding lately and trying to learn some Allman Bros. stuff—mainly been listening to Brothers and Sisters and Berry Oakley stuff. Now, I can figure out a lot of it on my own, but I’m just not that skilled in the whole boogie/groove patterns. Does anyone have any tips or tricks or basic rules for these that might help me figure the songs out faster? Or even some good simple boogie/groove songs that I should learn?

2. there's really no shortcuts...just dive right in. Good luck. Berry Oakley was a great bassist.

Check out the Allmans' new bass player, Oteil Burbridge. He is an absolute monster!!

3. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I know all about the Allmans... esp. loved Woody.

Just looking for any explanations. I know that Berry did a lot of boogie type riffs where he hit the octave... but anyone could have figured that one out.

4. pontz

pontz

Oct 31, 2003
    CT
    The Almans play so many styles that this is a tough question. I have learned most of their songs by ear, but loooking at it more critcally the bass uses just about every technique, lots of stuff based on the pentatonic scales in their rock songs, Like Blue Sky and Sweet Melissa. Some modal stuff like Whipping Post. Some Jazzy walking stuff like their cover of Stormy Monday or You Don't Love Me. And some repetative groves like Mountain Jam.

Its my favorite stuff to play. Most of it is pretty easy, but some like Elizabeth Reed, is pretty darn hard.

Pontz

5. Oteil is amazing. I heard that Stranger's Hand album with Jerry Goodman and Steve Smith and stuff, and the bass playing was most amazing!