Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Allman Brothers "Hittin the Note"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by watspan, Mar 18, 2003.

1. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    New on the shelves today, haven't made it through the whole thing, but whew! what a powerhouse! Oteil holdin down the low end, Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks on guitars (talk about slide) Butch, jaimoe and quinones percolatin' the rythym and old gregg on the B-3 ! (Dickie who?) I wish i was at the Beacon as we're speakin'!:D

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I think the album is great! Warren Hayes did a great job on the production......very live sounding with him and Derek Trucks each panned left & Right.
    It's so nice to hear new material from these guys, it's been awhile. Everybody is playing thier butts off:bassist:

3. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    i agree-the production on this album is real interesting--seems to be a live album done in the studio! like you said, warren in the left speaker, derek in the right--don't seem to be many if any overdubs.

"High Cost of low Living" has a real sweet guitar "dialogue" at the end.

The 12 minute "Instrumental Illness" has some sweet Oteil bass and a patened Allman Bros. 4 minute improvisational ending!

these geezers cook!:bassist:

4. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Ooooo I gots to get this one!!!:bassist:

5. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I went and picked this disc up during my lunch hour today (after reading this thread actually!). I gotta say that my first impressions are high. I really like the fact that they stretch out and jam on some of these tunes. The production sounds great and the songs grow on you quickly, I highly reccommend it. Also, it's cool to hear the ABB take on Rockin' Horse, too.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    How old is Derek Trucks? Maybe 23?
    ;)

7. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Ok, Derek and Mark Quinones excepted:D

8. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I heard the first cut last night, Great stuff!
    Allmans vocals sound great and Trucks & Haynes even had that Harmonizing thing going on..
    Sounds good, I'll be picking it up..:)

9. fclefgeoff

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    If you are a Warren Haynes, Derek Trucks, or Oteil Burbridge fan, I'd say it's definitely a no brainer. These guys all pull off amazing performances on this album.

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I've been on a "Hick Rock Kick" lately too.

11. fclefgeoff

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Personally, I wouldn't call the album "Hick Rock". As a matter of fact, I have never even heard that term but it sounds rather offensive. Have you even listened to this album?

12. Love the album. Talk about slide work galore on "Old Friend". Gotta love this band!:cool:

13. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    sic that basset hound on 'em geoff!:D

IMHO, the ABB has more kick-ass than hick-ass, but i'm an old geezer too! I wouldn't really expect ABB to appeal to everyone--very little teen angst there--but lots of paid-my-dues genuine rockin' blues! an ass-full of A-Grade Musicianship too!

14. I saw ABB last summer had great seats Oteil blew my mind with an awsome solo section with an amazing grace better than Wootens ( IMO) i also ended up getting a bootleg copy of that show even better. just picked up the new studio cd and was blown away again ABB has got to be one of the greatest american rock bands even and with the line up the have now i think they will be rockin' for a long time. :bassist: :bassist:

15. fclefgeoff

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    INSTRUMENTAL ILLNESS

16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Yeeeoow! This thread is the reason that disc will be mine within a week. Without even hearing it first!

I said "Hick Rock" because the cheezy band and I are working some Southern Rock/Country tunes into our set. The crowds we play for love that style.

All fun aside, the Allmans have been one of my favorites since the early 70's. Back then, all popular music seemed progressive as well as artful. I still have a hard time liking anyone else that sounds like them because I didn't think anyone could be as good.

They set a very High Standard.

17. fclefgeoff

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    If you're a fan, you'll probably enjoy it.

18. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I'll have to check this one out. Been hearing a lot of positive things about it.

Oh, and the term I always thought was fitting was calling this style of stuff "redneck jazz" :)

19. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I heard a track off this album for the first time tonight. What was cool is that I was thinking, "Is this new ABB? Or is it some tune I haven't heard? The bass player kicks @$$!" And here is this thread, explaining everything. What's sad is that the bass playing wasn't supah flashy (at least on the track I heard), but it was mixed well and was SOLID, with a real '70s vibe. It made me realize how much you don't even hear decent bass playing on the radio anymore. Can't wait til the album makes it over here, sometime next fall. :rolleyes:

20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That's an understatement.
    You've never heard me me lament how Oteil stole my Top-40 gig back in '83? Honestly, he was only 19 or 20 at the time; I knew in my heart there was no way I would ever, ever get that good...even if I practiced non-stop for the rest of my life. Some guys got it, some guys don't(& I don't!).

Anyway-
    Well, lump has me convinced...
    I guess I am gonna have to pick this up this weekend.
    ;)