Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Allodrive !

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AllodoX, Apr 13, 2002.

1. My home-built overdrive pedal is finished !!

Yeah baby yeah ! [​IMG]

I haven't made a housing for it yet.. and it still needs grouding.. but the sound is just.. WOAH ! fat ! :D

http://www.allodox.nl/media/allodrive.mp3

For the info : the guitar is a $ 50 strat-clone, tuned in EADGCF..

guitar -> allodrive -> Aria AB-30 ampifier.lineout -> Sound Blaster Live! -> Cool edit professional -> wav2mp3.exe -> leecftp.exe -> www.allodox.nl :D

( don't pay any attention to the crappy guitarplayer ;) )

schematics for the overdrive will be available soon :)

2. wow, that does sound good. good job!

3. I recently bought this book on home-made sound-effects at a local electronics store.. there was a thingy on an overdrive pedal.. but it was limited to a "Drive" and "volume" knob..

so i made some modifications to it, and gave it some more knobs :)

- volume
    - gain ( drive )
    - lowpass concentric :
    <ul>
    - tip : cutoff
    - sleeve : resonance
    </ul>
    - highpass concentric :
    <ul>
    - tip : cutoff
    - sleeve : resonance
    </ul>

and 2 switches

serial / parallel ( lowpass + highpass parallel or serial )
    on/off

and it's true bypass :D the switch is a 2-way A/B switch..

- If pressed : overdrive get power, and signal is routed thru the overdrive

- If depressed : overdrive gets no power, and signal goes from input -> switch -> output

The book also has schematics for ( among onthers ) Wah, flanger / chorus, phaser, compressor and noisegate..

I might make some more, and put them all in a 19" rackmount, analogue (!) multi-fx unit :D

4. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Cool sound!

What book is this exactly?

5. " The Stompbox Cookbook : Build Advanced Effects for Electric Guitar & Bass " by Nicholas Boscorelli.

next project will be a bass-overdrive :)

if anyone's interested in having a custom-tailored overdrive made.. contact me :)

6. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Great stuff... I'm goona make myself a fuzz OD combo soon I think... (switchable between)

7. pretty cool, nice and crunchy.

8. well this is actually a fuzz too :)

the schematic in the book was for a stripped down '69 fuzzface.. i modified it a little, and it became a very nice sounding overdrive..

sounds nice with bass too.. i'm thinking of adding a " factor 2 " button.. sort of a tubefactor.. but then it would be a " fuzzfactor " :D

b.t.w. the mainboard is about the size of a 9v battery.. so i've got PLENTY space in the stompbox for additional stuff :)

the transistors can also be replaced by tubes with a slight modification..

hmmm... Allobass tubedrive :D

9. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you could post pics, that would be awesome. I always find mounting the circuit in a pedal to be the hardest part.

10. Yah will make some pictures when it's 100 % done.. the one i have now is still prototype.. need to clean the board up a little, and then i'll make some pic's

11. Sounds great ! Nice work man ...:cool:

12. Is there anything you can't do, AllodoX? Maybe you should Market it, I'd buy one.....if I played Guitar. Or Hell! I don't even need to, with enough distortion, even I could play guitar!

13. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    wow...

you say you're making a bass OD...

I might have to buy one from you...:D

How much?

Nick