1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Allodrive !

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AllodoX, Apr 13, 2002.

1. My home-built overdrive pedal is finished !!

Yeah baby yeah ! [​IMG]

I haven't made a housing for it yet.. and it still needs grouding.. but the sound is just.. WOAH ! fat ! :D

http://www.allodox.nl/media/allodrive.mp3

For the info : the guitar is a $ 50 strat-clone, tuned in EADGCF..

guitar -> allodrive -> Aria AB-30 ampifier.lineout -> Sound Blaster Live! -> Cool edit professional -> wav2mp3.exe -> leecftp.exe -> www.allodox.nl :D

( don't pay any attention to the crappy guitarplayer ;) )

schematics for the overdrive will be available soon :)

2. wow, that does sound good. good job!

3. I recently bought this book on home-made sound-effects at a local electronics store.. there was a thingy on an overdrive pedal.. but it was limited to a "Drive" and "volume" knob..

so i made some modifications to it, and gave it some more knobs :)

- volume
    - gain ( drive )
    - lowpass concentric :
    <ul>
    - tip : cutoff
    - sleeve : resonance
    </ul>
    - highpass concentric :
    <ul>
    - tip : cutoff
    - sleeve : resonance
    </ul>

and 2 switches

serial / parallel ( lowpass + highpass parallel or serial )
    on/off

and it's true bypass :D the switch is a 2-way A/B switch..

- If pressed : overdrive get power, and signal is routed thru the overdrive

- If depressed : overdrive gets no power, and signal goes from input -> switch -> output

The book also has schematics for ( among onthers ) Wah, flanger / chorus, phaser, compressor and noisegate..

I might make some more, and put them all in a 19" rackmount, analogue (!) multi-fx unit :D

4. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Cool sound!

What book is this exactly?

5. " The Stompbox Cookbook : Build Advanced Effects for Electric Guitar & Bass " by Nicholas Boscorelli.

next project will be a bass-overdrive :)

if anyone's interested in having a custom-tailored overdrive made.. contact me :)

6. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Great stuff... I'm goona make myself a fuzz OD combo soon I think... (switchable between)

7. pretty cool, nice and crunchy.

8. well this is actually a fuzz too :)

the schematic in the book was for a stripped down '69 fuzzface.. i modified it a little, and it became a very nice sounding overdrive..

sounds nice with bass too.. i'm thinking of adding a " factor 2 " button.. sort of a tubefactor.. but then it would be a " fuzzfactor " :D

b.t.w. the mainboard is about the size of a 9v battery.. so i've got PLENTY space in the stompbox for additional stuff :)

the transistors can also be replaced by tubes with a slight modification..

hmmm... Allobass tubedrive :D

9. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you could post pics, that would be awesome. I always find mounting the circuit in a pedal to be the hardest part.

10. Yah will make some pictures when it's 100 % done.. the one i have now is still prototype.. need to clean the board up a little, and then i'll make some pic's

11. Sounds great ! Nice work man ...:cool:

12. Is there anything you can't do, AllodoX? Maybe you should Market it, I'd buy one.....if I played Guitar. Or Hell! I don't even need to, with enough distortion, even I could play guitar!

13. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    wow...

you say you're making a bass OD...

I might have to buy one from you...:D

How much?

Nick