1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Allparts 70s Jazz 3-bolt body on the way, looking at neck options

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RBrownBass, Feb 21, 2013.

1. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I just bought an unfinished Allparts ash 3-bolt 70s spaced Jazz body. Now I'm looking into bound/blocked necks, and I have some options I'd like you all to help me weigh.

I plan to buy a blocked/bound neck for the body, so my eBay options are:

1. Fender MIM 70s RI blocked/bound Jazz neck, rosewood/pearl

2. Fender MIM 70s RI blocked/bound Precision neck, maple/black- since it's a Fender, I'd replace the decal with a Fender Jazz decal.

3. Allparts blocked/bound J neck, either rosewood/pearl or maple/pearl

4. Warmoth blocked/bound J neck

1 and 2 have the bullet truss at the headstock (1975-83 or whenever), 3 has the truss adjust at the heel (pre-1975 or so)

Options 1 and 2 pros- if I can get a professional to rout the neck for 3-bolt hardware (and maybe expand the neck pocket sides to fit- I don't know for sure about that), the bass will look proper in front and back and will have the Fender logo on the neck. I do NOT want to turn the bass over and see four bolts when there's a bullet truss at the headstock. I passed on the MIM 70s bass as a whole instrument because of the four-bolt neck and bullet truss combo (that never happened in any measurable numbers) and passed on the MIJ '75RI because of the 60s spacing and bullet truss combo (that never happened, either). Cons- overly white binding on the MIM necks but I think I can fix that.

Option 3 pros- Since both the body and neck are from Allparts, I expect the neck to drop right in. I could dowel the holes in the body and redrill for a four-bolt with no problems. Additionally, I'd finish clear and the dowels would show, pretty much giving my body at least the appearance of a Fender that's had the neck replaced. Also, it's about $75 less than the Fender. Cons- no Fender logo. I'm not about to put a Fender decal on an Allparts neck and I think humorous text (like "Fonder" or "Fendre" or "Tender" or "Fender Jass Bazz") is cheesy. So going with an Allparts neck would likely mean a blank headstock.

My luthier forum questions are as follows:

1) What would be the going rate for having a luthier convert the MIM neck into a three-bolt?

2) Should I expect the Allparts pocket to be smaller, larger or the same as an MIM Fender? I've read that they are a tiny bit smaller than some other pockets.

My Basses forum questions are:

1) Are there any deficiencies in the MIM necks that would make converting the body a waste of time down the road?

2. Brockerboy

Brockerboy

Nov 15, 2012
    ct
    i would try to get a squier vintage modified 70s jazz neck, and then just drill the bottom hole into it..
    shouldnt be that hard
    just put the three screws through the body and kinda dig the bottom one into the neck so you know where to drill
    the top two should fit
    then, you can just sand the headstock and add a fender waterslide

3. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    1+

4. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I went the other way. I bought (2) mexi bodies. 1 Jazz, 1 P.
    and bought allparts necks to fit them.

Attached Files: